06 E350 Van Build - Eric3187

Eric3187

Adventurer
so on a facebook group for powerstrokes, folks have been talking about installing the factory upfitter wiring harness and switches, it apparently just bolts/clips right in on trucks without it. do any of you all know if the 6.0 vans are pre wired for this, only needing a custom mount for the switches? this would make installing high idle switch and wiring up an LED bar and other lights easy and keep the factory look.

here is an install link a guy did on a truck http://www.billpounds.com/truck/upfitters/UpfittersInstall.html

and the wiring kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301078438637?lpid=82

i think that if it will work, i can splice the wires to the switch box, solder/shrink wrap connections and make a mount for the switches in the head liner above the rear view mirror. i dont mind reaching for the switches and having them out of the way will keep them from getting hit by my knees

Eric3187

Adventurer
ah well thats unfortunate. hopefully the Battery Charge Protection wire is under the dash so i can wire in high idle, as that was the main thing im after at the moment.

Eric3187

Adventurer
the other week i had ordered a Goal Zero 10w trickle charger solar panel, it has a built in solar controller and suction cups so i can stick it to the windshield, it has a 12v outlet plug for an easy install.
reviews have said it gives about .85 amp/hr charge, im hoping it will slow down the discharge of batteries when i leave the van parked for a while. will give an update in a few weeks

Eric3187

Adventurer
few updates on the van, started a new job at a car audio shop so during my down time i can tinker with my van.
installed some Interstate Mega Tron Plus batteries, rated the same as the motorcraft maxx batteries 850CCA, 1000CA 150Reserve.
had a few issues over the past few days after installing them, super slow cranking/hard start. then my Edge insisght started chirping at me and i saw that my FICM Voltage was going down to 40v. so today i pulled the batteries, checked them with our battery tester and they are sitting well at 12.7v and one was reading 940CCA and the other 853CCA so i cleaned the terminals as best as possible, then went and pulled the FICM out. (Pain in the ***)

luckily i have the 4 pin ficm setup so i went ahead and ordered a new power supply from Bulletproof diesel. i just went with the factory replacement board. i had thought about going with a 6phase BPD power supply and running it at 58v setting to help with cold starts, but i had to be frugal.

I am possibly going to be putting the van up for sale once it is back together and running strong again. thinking about going to a smaller setup with an overland geared xj

ert01

Adventurer
Haha I went the opposite direction... XJ to e350.

I'm still keeping the jeep though. It's too small for my whole family to fit in for extended trips but it's too fun to let it go.

tgreening

Expedition Leader

I'm still keeping the jeep though. It's too small for my whole family to fit in for extended trips but it's too fun to let it go.

I sold my XJ to one of my employees and regretted it everyday he drove it to work and I had to watch it die just a little bit more. Put a lot of work in that bugger.

ert01

Adventurer
I would feel the same way. Especially knowing that another owner just wouldn't have the same respect for it as I do.

Eric3187

Adventurer

Ha yeah, i love the van, its just a pain for me in my current living situation, city planners only think about compact cars ha driving downtown in the van stinks!

I am probably going to the route of getting an xj on 33x10.50's and building an off road trailer that would hold "base camp" gear so when i go out with the jeep, all i need is my photography gear and a small weekender back pack.

ert01

Adventurer
That's exactly what my set up used to be... 33x10.5 BFG AT's on a 4.5" lift. Towed a 4x6 trailer that I built. Had a hinged lid and my RTT on top. Could leave the trailer and tent as a base camp and go exploring with my XJ or on the mountain bike or whatnot. Works awesome for 1 or 2 people. Gets tight when the group grows to 4 though. Haha

This was back when it was on 31's... Pre 33 days. Now that I don't have the trailer anymore it is on 35's.

fa112a61d03bd8664ac3856a2619aa59.jpg

Eric3187

Adventurer
thats perfect! i should have the van back together today, FICM power supply from Bulletproof diesel showed up yesterday so im itching to get this back together now.

Eric3187

Adventurer
thats perfect! i should have the van back together today, FICM power supply from Bulletproof diesel showed up yesterday so im itching to get this back together now. hopefully i can find a buyer for my van quick, would be great to get an xj and get out in the snow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz