My introduction and my 1hz 60 series

Dusty Grin

Observer
Well hello everybody, I finally found a moment to introduce myself and my cruiser.

I'm glued to this site so I'm happy to finally contribute a bit.

Here's my best inanimate friend in the world. He was given the name "The Grizzly" by my buddies wife and it's sticking. I recently had a local cruiser shop in Portland install a 1hz diesel with a 5spd transmission. I have to say that Josh from the Willamette Boulevard Service Center did a fantastic job and I couldn't be happier. I had the 2f before this motor and it was very reliable and easy to work on. But I always wanted a very simple diesel to rely on in the back country and of course better than 13mpg like I was getting.

photo (12).JPG

I'm a huge fan of long travel, like really long travel on logging roads. I basically eat dust and mud until I find a lake, or river or view and just set up my temporary home. I find it hugely satisfying. I've had many different rooftop tents, some good some bad, so any questions, ask away on that topic. I built my own drawers from an accumulation of parts I scored off craigslist over the years. Almost everything I have I found on Craigslist for a deal.

photo (11).JPG

The 1hz is way better than I had thought. It's quiet and barely vibrates. The first thing people say when they hear it is "it's so quiet!" I put a magnaflow muffler with the new exhaust so at least it sounds kinda cool if I punch it:sombrero:
It is giving me 25mpg on the freeway being careful and staying in the right lane. 22 around town not being to careful, and 19mpg on the trail which gives me a whopping 450 mile range, which is what I was really after. Did I say I love this motor:)

photo (9).JPG

I travel/camp twice a month year round regardless of the weather so I found the Maggiolina to fit my needs best. No complaints, It's a rock in bad weather.

photo.jpg

That's it I guess!

Thanks,
Andy

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Very nice Cruiser! Thanks for sharing!

Your setup looks great, please share the details on the slide outs. Glad the 1hz is every thing you hopped it would be, that will be under my hood one day!:sombrero:

Dusty Grin

Observer
It's a mine truck engine, transmission, and transfer case. I took a risk and drove to Pemberton Canada to buy it. It was a gamble as the engine was on a pallet and I couldn't hear it run. Fortunately it did and has good compression. We opened the transfer case and found what appears to be almost new gears so I'm not sure what the history is with this thing. The transmission needs a rebuild unfortunately but I'm driving it for now. I know George of Valley Hybrids bought the other engines from the guy and didn't have as good of luck to put it mildly. I just got lucky I guess.

All those slides (accurides) and aluminum boxes came out of a pharmaceutical delivery van that was on craigslist. This includes 2 small bedslides that fit in an SUV and a 4ft long bedslide as well for $250 total. I got luck again:victory:

I just put it all together which actually took forever to get right.

That 1hz is nice because we ordered many parts right from the Toyota dealership in portland since it's still in production. I have a video of my truck running next to my buddies fj60 isuzu 4bd1t that puts it in perspective how quiet it is. I'll try and find it.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Sounds like you really came out on top with the mine truck stuff, I hear those can be a real crap shoot! Id love to hear that against the Isuzu.

Score on the slides! Those Accurides aren't cheep. Again nice work.:sombrero:

Dusty Grin

Observer
Thanks for the compliments. The Arkpak does everything they say it does. I run a DieHard AGM group 31 with 100ah and it powers my 60l ARB fridge for a bit over two days without recharging. I'm working on solar next.

Brett at ArkPak has gone above and beyond and I'm impressed with the service. I broke the 12v plug the first week I had it (well it came unscrewed and I lost the important bits). He knew I was headed on another long trip and expressed mailed a new plug from Australia on his dime ($56 shipping!).

My only issue is that with the charging wires going to the dash and the other wire going to the door for AC charge, that they get bumped and are vulnerable.
I'm going to try and wire a new 12v socket in back to minimize this. The arkpak rides on the Bedslide with the fridge as I figured it would be less wear and tear for the fridge cord as I slide it in and out. I have about 200lbs on that Bedslide so I"m glad it's so heavy duty.

Joe's Toy

Observer
Great looking truck. As a Toyota fan I have a great respect for those old cruisers. I keep going through the thought of selling my old 4runner but I don't think it will ever happen. Maybe it can be my son's 1st truck (he's 10 months old now). Cheers.

Dusty Grin

Observer
Great looking truck. As a Toyota fan I have a great respect for those old cruisers. I keep going through the thought of selling my old 4runner but I don't think it will ever happen. Maybe it can be my son's 1st truck (he's 10 months old now). Cheers.

That era of Toyota Truck with the 22re would be my second choice for what I do. Great mileage, dependable, light....

My buddy with the Isuzu fj60 just bought one and loves it. His wife drives it.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Very nice!

I've worked with the gents from Williamette Blvd Service on some parts deals in the past and they always struck me as great folks to work with. I didn't realize they were doing some bigger conversions like yours, very cool! :cool:

Dusty Grin

Observer
Thanks Kurt. It's a father, son shop and they are as honest as I've seen. I counted 12 land cruisers in their lot last time I was there. It's not a speedy place to get work done, but it gets done right.

Very nice!

I've worked with the gents from Williamette Blvd Service on some parts deals in the past and they always struck me as great folks to work with. I didn't realize they were doing some bigger conversions like yours, very cool! :cool:

60toyetero

Adventurer
HEY I KNOW THOSE CRUISERS! ":smiley_drive: AND I AGREE WITH THE GUYS ON WILLAMATEE BLVD SERVICE. AWESOME GUYS WITH TONS ON KNOWLEDGE.. READING THIS MAKES ME WANT TO HIT THE ROAD AGAIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94