How do I condition an AGM battery?

fla_cracker

Observer
so I was given a yellow top optima from a friend that told me it was good but may need conditioned due to sitting on a shelf for a while.

So what reasonably priced charger should I buy?

Scott Brady

Founder
Go with a CTEK charger. I have saved literally thousands of dollars in batteries with that one unit. They are pretty amazing and have a recondition mode and are designed specifically to work with AGM and LiIon batteries.

I think Kurt carries them: http://cruiseroutfitters.com/

unseenone

Explorer
As a side note, everything I have read regarding solar charging for example, is that generally the monthly equalize mode is disabled. That being said, I agree with Scott regarding the ctek being a decent solution for maintenance, and feeding of your yellow top.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
If the battery has been sitting on the shelf for a while, it is likely worth only its weight in lead.

It was likely not fully charged when it was put on that shelf, and since has self discharged further, and now the plates are so sulfated even the respected Ctek is not going to restore it to a usable condition.

Take voltage reading. If it is under 10v, I would not waste any money or time on such a "shelfed" battery.

Lifeline, one of the most respected AGM battery makers, describe a 'conditioning' procedure on a battery which is no longer performing as it should, but this does not apply to a battery ridden hard, and put away wet and left to sit.

Scroll down to page 20 in this PDF for their procedure:
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/manual.pdf

unseenone

Explorer
I agree, most AGM manuals state if heavily discharged to recharge it right away, if not, or discharged over time, there will be permanent damage. It also depends on the temperature it was stored in, and if it was fully charged when it was stored. Every 3 months (or less from what I see) to 12months. If it's been discharged for a while, you will never get it back to full capacity.

fla_cracker

Observer
Well before I left my friend put it on his super tester and it read around 12.4 volts. Not sure how long it was on the shelf but, it was removed from the original vehicle due to maintenance schedule. X number of year replacement policy. Also it was in a vehicle that did not see abuse....

unseenone

Explorer
That doesn't sound too bad then. Perhaps it would be worth getting someone else with a charger to run it through a cycle before you commit the money to buy a charger. 12.8 after a full charge and sitting a few hours would be awesome.

I had one, that I abused and habitually let over discharge. Lesson learned, it more or less completely failed within two years, and towards the end was driving my alternator voltage up. When the alternator finally started putting 14.9v and then 15v I got concerned and had it tested overnight, and they confirmed it was bad.

fla_cracker

Observer
Eh, I am in need of a charger anyways. That CTEK 7002 looks to be the cats bottom too.

Besides, it's always good to invest in tools....

Thank you everyone for your responses. ....

Cory

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
I think Optima states that their Yellow top has a fully charged rested voltage of 13.1v.

YOu should be able to get some use from that 12.4v shelfed battery,

But I would be more impressed if your buddy tested it with a Super Duper battery tester, as opposed to the plain jane older bell and whistleless 'super' model.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Optima has a series of videos on the care and feeding of their products

If you're planning to be around Atlanta, I have an Optima charger that would tell us if that puppy is okay.

Joe917

Explorer
I don't think much of a charger that only puts out 7 Amps. 8 stage charging? looks like 4 stage with some invented names in between.

unseenone

Explorer
I think Optima states that their Yellow top has a fully charged rested voltage of 13.1v.

YOu should be able to get some use from that 12.4v shelfed battery,

But I would be more impressed if your buddy tested it with a Super Duper battery tester, as opposed to the plain jane older bell and whistleless 'super' model.

This is not what I have observed with two different new ones, one installed, one on the shelf. The spare charged with a ctek once each 2 months. I'm going to double check that and put the meter to them.

tweeek

Observer
I don't have am Optima, but my fully charged resting voltage for my Odyssey's is 12.8

+1 for the CTEK as well. I have used mine with great results many times on old batteries others cobsidered garbage.

unseenone

Explorer
I tossed all my old chargers in the recycling bin, and have only the ctek now.

The battery I charged two-three weeks ago has been sitting in the 90 degree garage is currently 12.88 volts. It's new, never been discharged. It was a warranty replacement I think I picked it up in March.

The battery in the vehicle I purchased 1/2014 but has a date sticker on it of 1/2013, I suspect it was damaged before I got it. It does not seem to hold a charge overnight very well.

I'm doing a full charge cycle on both of them, so I can do a fair test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94