Clipless Pedals

BillTex

Adventurer
I was shocked to hear someone mention rat traps/straps. In my opinion they are an abomination and caused many and injury back when they were popular. But at least there are a million other uses for those high quality straps. Good flat pedals or shimano SPD for the win.

To the OP : the desire for clipless may very well have more to do with the shoe than the pedal. Good stiff comfy shoes are a very good thing.

Let me clarify; platforms w/straps (maybe this is a called a "cage" by some Folks...?). Not the old-school rat traps that locked you in. I find that a good aggressive platform with a strap loose enough to slide your shoe in is a great combo that accommodates all kinds of shoes (yes...even sandals for riding to the beach!). With good firm shoes, I can power up when I need to, and feet won't slip out on the down hills...or, I can pedal to the beach with my sandals on...no special shoes required...

Not comparing to SPD's/clipless...but for non-competitive riding I have found this setup ideal.

BTW; I ride 5k + mi/yr like this...I am reasonably sure it works well.
Except for bike snobs maybe...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
AYE!!! I'm such a bike dork, I grimace when I hear the wrong terms tossed about. :)

Pedals with clip and strap: Toe clips
Pedals without clip and strap: Platform or "flats"
Pedals you clip into without the clip and strap: Clipless

There are also straps without the clips like those made by Power Straps. Those are also referred to as "knee surgery." :)

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the input, I'll tell her to listen to her co-workers and find some clipless pedals. To bad I just gave my SPDs away when I sold my Masi.

digitaldelay

Explorer
straps without the clips like those made by Power Straps. Those are also referred to as "knee surgery." :)

Ouch! I rocked some Power Grips on my 1991 Norco Kokanee for 15 years. I loved them back then and had recently found them again on Amazon. I was considering getting some for current bikes but my knees might beg to differ!

I've tried the hybrid SPD's, but I just found them too risky (for me), especially in technical terrain or when pulling a child trailer.

My problem now is when I even look at my super-aggressive flats the wrong way, I get a nice big slice on my calf or shin.

Jason

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The conversation is making me feel old. :)

I recently donated some of my old pedals and shoes to a local shop, one known as much as a museum as a bike store. Hard to believe my stuff from the mid 80s has such "vintage" allure.

As a side note: My commuter bike still uses my very first set of SPDs from 1990. It amazes me that Shimano nailed a perfect design their first go-round. For some reason, maybe change-itis, I started using Egg Beaters in about 2005. From 2005 to 2008 I must have busted seven sets of those crap pedals.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
The conversation is making me feel old. :)

I recently donated some of my old pedals and shoes to a local shop, one known as much as a museum as a bike store. Hard to believe my stuff from the mid 80s has such "vintage" allure.

As a side note: My commuter bike still uses my very first set of SPDs from 1990. It amazes me that Shimano nailed a perfect design their first go-round. For some reason, maybe change-itis, I started using Egg Beaters in about 2005. From 2005 to 2008 I must have busted seven sets of those crap pedals.

So when shopping stick with SPD? She was also recommended eggbeaters and speedplay by the same co-workers.

gabepari

Explorer
Anyone who recommends anything but shimano (or clones) for clipless spends more time looking at and weighing their bike than they do riding it...

Get 'em and ride...

4xdog

Explorer
...My commuter bike still uses my very first set of SPDs from 1990...

Me too, Christophe. They just work. In fact, although I'm not using them right now, I have a set of those SPD-platform combination pedals in bright red alloy -- kind of bulky, but another great commuter pedal.

gohuge

Observer
Her coworkers are right. I ride crank brothers egg beaters. Have for years. Have her look at the candy 2 style. Avoid the mallets, as stated earlier. The clips mount two different ways on the shoes. It is a preference and she should see what works best for her. The SPDs are more complex, allowing for adjustable tension, like a binding on a ski.....the down side of Spd is the lack of "float" the natural movement of foot while engaged in pedal. Can make some riders uncomfortable. But easier to engage/disengage, require more maintenance and suck in muddy conditions. Most of us even ride clipless on the fat bike. Have her practice engaging/disengaging at the park on some grass to start. Patience and building muscle memory is key. Have fun.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
My Hard tail 29er: egg beaters
My 5" full suspension : was egg beaters, now platforms.
My downhill bike: platforms
Felt road bike: egg beaters

After riding clip less for about 15 years, I switched to flats during Washington's rainy winters. Now, I use flats on the bikes I tend to ride stunts and woodwork on.

Back around the turn of the century, my wife and her best friend took The Spokeswomans mtn bike course at Whistler. They've been the only two out of their group of a dozen girls that ride the woodwork, log rides, and steeps instead of dismounting. They're also the only two that ride platforms.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I will make an argument for the egg beaters/candys...
SPD just won't give me the rotation that the crank bros pedals give...my old knees need a bit of float.
I will say they are quite a bit more fragile than the Shimano or clones but in 10 years I have only broken 2 pairs...one pair the clip broke, one pair just last week the spring broke...
I used to go for the higher end ti and double ti super light candys with the serviceable axles/bearings...but I found that since the springs are usually first to go and the rebuild kits were about 50 bucks...now I just buy the 39.00 base models every year...consider them a disposable yearly expense half the price of a chain...

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
My sister has been commuting by bicycle for two years and the bike bug bit her badly enough that she is becoming a recreational rider, too. Last week she finally purchased a set of SPDs. She is in heaven and reports that the transition was smooth and easy.

Sent via fat thumb

reachdean

Observer
My vote is for the egg beaters as well, in the Candy variant. Float and ability to clear mud were top of my list of priorities, and in those respects, egg beaters have well outperformed my old SPDs.

I've never broken a pair, but I tend to weigh in at around 145-150lbs, so I tend not to break bike stuff.

I did pick up a pair of eggbeaters for $5 that had a cracked hoop but were otherwise fine. I disassembled them and then had a welder tack the hoop back together, and they're a great back up pair. I feel that such a fix would be impossible on SPDs given the fine pieces that make up the pedal.

- edited for spelling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles