Any decent priced light weight winches out there? how about using a 6k winch?

CodyY

Explorer
During the Ozark Overland Rally we did 18 pulls in 3 days (mostly fallen tree removal) and the TJM 9k didn't miss a lick. The integrated wireless never faltered and was really handy having in the drivers seat.

AndrewP

Explorer
So TJM doesn't make winches. So who makes theirs for them? Where is it made? I'm guessing it's another Chinese winch with a TJM sticker on it.

You need to decide if you want; a life time piece of kit, or a piece of kit you replace every 3-4 years. Either strategy works. You buy a Warn 8274, and you can use it your entire off-road life, and your kids can sell it on Craig's list, and the new owner can use it their entire off-road life.

In the end when you buy quality, it's painful once. When you buy cheap crap from China, it's great at first, and then its a burden, and then finally, trash. Then you repeat the cycle.

racerjb

Observer
Come Up makes the perfect winch for your requirements. The DV-6s only weights 40lbs and is built tough. If you don't know, Comeup was the mfg for the super winch until a couple years ago when super winch went to less expensive products.

Here is a link to the specs of their carry on version. PM me for pricing and details as I can get you one if interested. We have sold them as rear winch and they have been doing great. A lot lighter to move around then a 100lb 8-9k winch with the big cradles.

http://shop.comeupusa.com/p/dv-6s-carry-on-12v?pp=12

Explorer
It is a very valid option, especially for self recovery because you'll know not to get yourself stuck beyond what your Winch can handle. It might not always be enough to recover a big four door Super duty you find stuck in the mud, but that isn't really your problem:ylsmoke:

olsen_karl

Adventurer
I had similar concerns to yours when winch shopping -- wanted light weight, and relatively low cost, as I don't go wheeling enough to need to use a winch often. I bought an Engo 9000# winch with synthetic line. While I didn't weigh it myself, the quoted total weight for winch, synthetic rope, and aluminum fairlead, was something like 65#. I think it's the same Chinese winch guts as the Smittybilt, Harbor Freight, etc., but Engo has a longer warranty -- so long as the company stays in business.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I have been wanting a winch for a while now too

with my injury if I get stuck, I'm literally stranded

thats why when it gets nasty I turn around, which is no fun, but I have no choice

I've been thinking about the warn hidden winch mounts ~ https://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/hidden_kit_applications_chevrolet.shtml

but with all the different winches you guys posted here I'm undecided about which one now/again

I want twice the pulling power of my rig which is about 6700lbs so I was thinking a 12K version should be fine

the superpull 12k was on my list, but now I'm at the drawing board again

what brands should one avoid ?

I was surprised one magazine gave the badlands praise for example

keane

Observer
I have used a few different winches now, them being a warn 8274, a warn m8000 and currently a t-max ew9000. The warn m8000 worked great for 4 years but corosion finally got the best of it and the cassing and mounts started to crack. It was used for work and probabbly got on averaged, used 6-8 times per week. The t-max ew9000 out of the box pulled great and the built in wires less controller was nice. It got about 2 years of use on my xterra befor it failed. The brass washers wore out and allowed the gears to move laterally. So they wherent meshed fully and striped. So it sat under the bench for a couple years and I just got it back together to find out the relay pack wont spool out. Now the warn 8274. I currently have 4 of these. They can be found used for cheap. Easy to rebuild and lots of aftermarket suport for them. The most I had fail on one of these on a trail was a solinoid. But with 4 in the stock set up it was a easy trail repair to rewire the out feed to the in feed. I have converted 2 of them over to the albright contactor assembly and have not had any more problems. And with all this being said once I get the new bumper for the xterra, the t-max is going to be sold and a 8274 is going to go in with a motor ugrade. And here is some good info on rebuilding the 8274.
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=59597

zimm

Expedition Leader
theres nothing wrong with a 6k winch on a 6k truck. theres a doubler devise, its called a snatch block.

10x as safe as a highlift.

the early 70's bellview on my 40 is only 6k, and i use it plenty.

i run 8k on a loaded lx470. front and rear. both work wonderfully. i have a 12000 in my garage and i didnt want the weight. i sold the 8274, it was too heavy also. (regret that)

now, try finding a good 6k winch anymore. it seems the atvs use 2500-4000 and the trucks start at 8000.

tmax and summit used to have a 6k. with synth line you were 50% the weight of a warn 8k.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Good discussion.

I can second the quality of the Come Up winches. I am thinking of mounting one of their small Powersports winches on my land Rover Series 1 for when I drive it from London to Singapore next year (with my wife and 3 kids). We will be exploring ruins in the deserts of Iran, isolated hill-stations in India and Pakistan, jungle villages in Myanmar, etc. so I decided a winch might be prudent.

I was originally going to skip the winch since I am keeping the truck simple and light, but since their Cub 4S winch only weighs 26 lbs including 50 feet of line, and is rated at 4000lbs (my truck only weighs 2700 lbs) then it's a viable option with a snatch block and a line extender.

The WARN winches are legendary of course, but if you are on a budget, Come Up could be an option for you.

mdsnitc

I've had a smittybilt xrc-8 for three or so years and it has served me well for occasional recovery tasks. It was a good cost/value for me.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94