My Willys MBT Trailer, Chile Build

svaras

Observer
Hi guys, long time without posting.
I just bought this 1942 Willys MBT Trailer. All in all its in good shape.
Plans are:

Bigger tires
Beadlock wheels to match the ones of my Jeep.
OD Paint
ARB Roof tent on top.

I´m not sure about going SOA....I´m concern about the center of gravity. The plan is to wheel with the trailer ant the less thing I want is to tip it over.
Question is....which is the maximum tire size I can go without altering the suspension ?
I will build new (bigger) square fenders, so that will give more room too.
31" ? 33" ?

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 44
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 42

slimtwo

Adventurer
I have an MBT Willy's trailer that I purchased a few years ago, and I am just getting back on the build. I changed out the axle so the lug pattern would match my Jeep, a 5 on 4 1/2, other wise, the stock pattern is a 5 on 5 1/2. I am running 33" tires on 15" rims so with the lug pattern the same, my spare goes both ways. You will have to change the fenders when you go bigger on the tires, I fabricated some M416 style flat fenders for mine.
East fence and gate 003.jpg

svaras

Observer
Bruce, that is exactly what I want for mine....are you still running your springs under the axle ?

slimtwo

Adventurer
No, I did it as a spring over so that it would be closer to the height of my Jeep. When I bought the axle (Red Neck Trailers), they set it up for me with pads on both sides of the tube, so I can go either way.
DSCN2253.jpg

svaras

Observer
Been thinking more and I will most likely preserve the round fenders because of the original look. Maybe making a few cuts and try to open them a bit to accommodate the bigger tires.
In the other hand, its a fact that I will keep the suspension stock.
I have just one reply that says 31" will fit...can anybody else confirm that ?
Thanks
SV

slimtwo

Adventurer
Bottom line, you will have to change the fenders to clear 33" tires. Even if you did as spring over the tires would be real close to the stock fenders. Mark's post above has some nice round fender options, but you can also find a flat fender style as well. Try CCC (Custom Camping Concepts), I think they have a flat fender option
http://www.cttct.com/

svaras

Observer
I call it done....
Not a lot of mods..I wanted too look as stock as possible.
Only things I did:

31" BF KM2.
Allied Beadlock Wheels.
Replaced the rear reflectors for 4" led tail lights
My repro canvas cover arrives tomorrow.

Getting ready for a 1500 miles overlanding trip at the end of the month.

mbmbt_zps176aaf9f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles