RT-Systems Radio programming software

Longrange308

Adventurer
As I mentioned in another thread, I recently picked up a Kenwood TM-281A and I am loving this thing (only listening at this point, no call sign yet). It was however a bit of a PITA to program, even after reading the manual. I also have a Yaesu VX-7R, and thanks to how small yet powerful and feature rich it is, its a complete nightmare to program.

Because I like to do things the easy way, I went ahead and picked up RT-Systems programming software for each, and I just want to say, that it makes life so much easier.

I have played around with some of the free programming software out there, granted without a cable, but just to get an idea of what options are available. I have to say after playing with Kenwoods own programming software and then RT-Systems, its a night and day difference. The RT-System software makes life so much more simple, especially when you have multiple brands of radios and want them to all have the same programming. Its as simple as selecting all the cells via CTRL+A, right click, copy, paste. Viola, both radios have not only the same frequency programming, but they also have the same alphanumeric tags and channel order.

This was the best $100 ($50 for each radio) I have ever spent on communications accessories! I know when I finally upgrade to a quad-band, I will be grabbing another copy of RT-Systems and their cable, if necessary.

AndrewP

Explorer
I agree with you. The RT systems stuff just works. Their cables don't need weird drivers on Chinese minidiscs. That said, the down side is their cables do not work with non-RT systems software.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That said, the down side is their cables do not work with non-RT systems software.
I have several RT cables and they work fine with software from Chirp, G4HFQ and KC8UNJ. In fact I found when you have several radios the non-RT software work better. RT Systems stuff doesn't seem to play nice when you have multiple versions of software unless they are all at the same revision level which requires you to periodically purchase new versions of tools you may already have. For example they wanted me to upgrade tools when I bought the IC-7000 tools because I couldn't simultaneously have a version 3 (my FT-8800) engine installed with the version 4. The G4HFQ and KC8UNJ tools are each fully independent of each other and don't interact with a common programming engine as do the RT tools.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
I have several RT cables and they work fine with software from Chirp, G4HFQ and KC8UNJ. In fact I found when you have several radios the non-RT software work better. RT Systems stuff doesn't seem to play nice when you have multiple versions of software unless they are all at the same revision level which requires you to periodically purchase new versions of tools you may already have. For example they wanted me to upgrade tools when I bought the IC-7000 tools because I could simultaneously have a version 3 (my FT-8800) engine installed with the version 4. The G4HFQ and KC8UNJ tools are each fully independent of each other and don't interact with a common programming engine as do the RT tools.

Hmmm...My RT cable will not program my Kenwood 281 when I try to use it with CHIRP. Fortunately my $7 ebay cable works fine. Options are just good.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Odd, but I only mostly have cables for Yaesu radios. But I have several, USB-57B, USB-81, USB-29B, USB-62, USB-63, RTS01 (Icom) and no issues. I should be precise, their software works very well, I don't have any complaints other than the issue with trying to have several installed simultaneously. Their cables are very high quality IMHO.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Good stuff. I'm sure I could do some of the same stuff on my radio if I spent the time reading the manual but the RT software makes it so easy. I volunteered to help out at the Tevis Cup, they use channel numbers for their frequencies. Using the RT software for that is going to make it very simple.

uli2000

Adventurer
Hmmm...My RT cable will not program my Kenwood 281 when I try to use it with CHIRP. Fortunately my $7 ebay cable works fine. Options are just good.

RT systems recently changed their USB cable IDs so they will only work with their software. The older cables didn't have that problem. You can change the PID on the cable so you can use it with CHIRP and other software, but then it wont work with the RT systems software anymore.
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide_FTDI_OEM_Cables

Kenwood offers free programming software for all their mobile radios. For my 710a I found it easier to use than CHIRP, that radio didn't like CHIRP at all. I also have RT systems software which is very similar to the Kenwood software. I use that mostly now because I have one of the newer cables that only work with their software.

Longrange308

Adventurer
FWIW I use CHIRP to program my 710a and it works very well (Mac).

Im playing around with CHIRP now.. I do like the fact that it can pull and populate a list from online sources like radioreference.com and repeaterbook.com Also has useful built in features like auto-filling the FRS and GMRS freq's as well.. I like being able to access them on my HT for emergencies sake..

I think ultimately I am going to end up using both CHIRP and RT-Systems in conjunction with one-another.. Seems like the full package when combined.

ontopofm

I tried to load local frequencies with Chirp yesterday, however, none of the call signs were loaded onto TM-281A. Do you guys have any ideas why they weren't loaded? This is on Mac OS.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Its been a while and, since, I've recently upgraded to an MBP/Yosemite and haven't gotten to try CHIRP/710 programming yet. Having said that I had difficulty getting the cable interface/mini driver(?) to function at all using another MB with Mavericks. SL worked great though. Sorry but too many irons in the fire right now to play with it...but curious just the same to hear what you discover (assuming you're running Yosemite).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke