Build Thread: 2014 Ram Tradesman Express "La Ballena"

JMyerz

Adventurer
IMG_20140709_164823894.jpg

Long story short I was shopping for a van that would work for the family and ended up with a truck,
after two months this landed in my lap and we just went for it. Hopefully it suits our needs well as a
small family.

The build will be slow and intentional. I'll need a build that allows a balance of work and play with this
truck. I'm a pro photographer and need to haul gear around at a whims notice.

The Specs:

'14 RAM 1500 Tradesman / Express
Quad Cab
4x4
V6 (305HP)
8 Speed Auto
Factory Locker
Buttons and Power things that I didn't know I needed!

We've dubbed her "La Ballena" and I've already ordered an ARE Outdoorsman canopy
with Windoors and am drawing up a sleeping platform as we speak. Eventually a 4Wheel Camper will work
its way into the mix.

Other Upgrades:
Black Wheels
BFG AT's
Might do a leveling kit
Surf Racks
Fog lights of sorts

So far I've been averaging 20.5mpg with mixed driving. We took a road trip last week and averaged 27mpg out and 25.5mpg
back with a big head wind! Pretty excited about these numbers.

I'm pretty impressed with this setup and so far and don't regret the V6 as we won't be hauling or towing a whole lot. I'm
not sure we'll even lift it as our goal are to reach semi remote locations to surf and flyfish.

J

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Congrats on going with what works for you and your family, and not just following the lead on here to get a monster v8 or diesel. Those are definitely some decent mpg's for a 4x4 1/2 ton.

155mm

Adventurer
Nice truck!!! I'm very surprised at the mpg, that will save lots of money on road trips! :smiley_drive:

watrboy

Observer
I like your choice. I have a 2014 Silverado with V6 and hard to tell from a V8. Mileage is over 20 most of the time.
My brother just bought a 2014 Ram regular cab, short box, and topper, but has the 5.7 Hemi. He drove a 1300 mile trip over the 4th and got 21.
The new pickups are pretty efficient.
Watch your lift and tire size. I also have a 2011 Silverado (5.3 V8) and with stock tires and 1.5" leveling get 16 to 17 around town and 22 on the interstate. I had a 2.5"/1" kit and 285/70 tires and lost a lot of mileage. 12.5 to 14 around town and maybe 17 on a downhill interstate drive. I went back to stock tires and level stance and got my efficiency back.

I am subscribed

richardquay

I have almost the same set up! I have a big horn SLT version. Love it so far, want to do more outlanding.

How is your build going? Have you ran out of power with the v6 ever? Starting to plan my build.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice truck JMyers! Base model Tradesman and WT’s in the GM world are my favorites. No need for all of that $50,000 fluff found in most of the modern trucks.

How do you like the 8 speed? Is that rotary dial hard to get used to? I hear they shift nice and smooth with great shift points but I’m no fan of that silly rotary dial electric shifter. I have some major concerns with the long term reliability and Chrysler’s decision of going with an electric shifter in most of their vehicles these days. Not a single manufacturer can make an electric shift transfercase work reliably and now they expect us to accept an electric shift transmission too. My luck the transmission encoder motor would freeze up and get stuck in Park while camping in the middle of nowhere and I’d die of heat exhaustion trying to walk to the nearest highway.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice truck JMyers! Base model Tradesman and WT's in the GM world are my favorites. No need for all of that $50,000 fluff found in most of the modern trucks.

How do you like the 8 speed? Is that rotary dial hard to get used to? I hear they shift nice and smooth with great shift points but I'm no fan of that silly rotary dial electric shifter. I have some major concerns with the long term reliability and Chrysler's decision of going with an electric shifter in most of their vehicles these days. Not a single manufacturer can make an electric shift transfercase work reliably and now they expect us to accept an electric shift transmission too. My luck the transmission encoder motor would freeze up and get stuck in Park while camping in the middle of nowhere and I'd die of heat exhaustion trying to walk to the nearest highway.

I agree 100% Larry. I just started the process on trading our Rubicon in on a new 3500. I will be going Cummins again, but I looked hard and found a manual transfer case shift Tradesman. Almost every a Tradesman I found had the electronic shift, and $1000 for the "SXT appearance group", which is fancy speak for "cheap chrome thrown at everything". Happy to avoid those options!

OP: Nice truck! I drove the ecodiesel in a 1500 as well, and have driven the Pentastar V6 in our work Rubicons. I'm sure it will be plenty of motor if you aren't towing a bunch. I like the white too.

JMyerz

Adventurer
Been a while since I posted about the truck!

Added an ARE cap and yakima rack. We sprung for the side windows that open in the ARE and it's probably the best money I spent on mods, it makes getting things out of the truck so much easier. I also built a deck for sleeping in the back but I've grown out of that and just ordered a CVT Mt Rainier for the family. I need to sort out how I'm going to carry 9' longboards with the RTT for surf adventures but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Commuting I'm averaging around 22mpg mixed driving, I'll hit 24mpg with surfboards up top if I maintain around 65. The only regret I have is not getting taller gears, it came with 3.2 and I wish I had 3.5 or 3.9

Here's a recent shot from a flyfishing mission in Maupin, OR

151123_Family029.jpg

p nut

butter
Well, with lower gearing, you're going to lose MPG. So trade offs there.
Nice truck, though. Simple, practical, functional. I like it.

JMyerz

Adventurer
Very True! I'm looking at a mild lift and 34s and would appreciate the slightly lower gears. At 24mpg on long freeway shots I have a little mpg to play with :sombrero:

Well, with lower gearing, you're going to lose MPG. So trade offs there.
Nice truck, though. Simple, practical, functional. I like it.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Very True! I'm looking at a mild lift and 34s and would appreciate the slightly lower gears. At 24mpg on long freeway shots I have a little mpg to play with :sombrero:

With 34s you'll probably need more than 3.21s, or else you may render 8th useless. My Hemi and 33s barely pull 8th with 3.21s, though I get great mileage for a V8.

Wonder if it's cheaper to find a junkyard Hemi with 3.92 gears and rip off the entire axle and front pumpkin?

JMyerz

Adventurer
I've thought about an axle swap, but its really more than I want to deal with, I might just go up one tire size and call it good. We don't go up many treacherous trails so a good set of AT's would probably hold us over just fine.

Got our new CVT Rainier tent in today!!

160221_CVT0005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier