"Serenity" - My M101A2 expedition trailer build

RagnarD

Adventurer
My 101A3 with just two side boxes is close to 1800 lbs empty. My guess is that
This trailer is closer to 2.5k empty.

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
A stock A3 weighs in at approximately 1540lbs.

My stock A2 weighed ( very past tense ) in at approximately 1340 pounds empty.

The topper weighs approximately 300 pounds. So, mine is ~1850 lbs with nothing else... alas, there is more.

I failed to add the rooftop tent, awnings, and rack weigh approximately 200. The battery box, electrics, and battery weigh approximately 200 pounds. Add another 100 for the stabilizers & jack.

So, empty, as equipped, mine would be closer to 2100-2200.

Good eye, RangarD!

familyof7

So best option, if I went this route is an A2 and do some creative fat trimming. If I could keep trailer dry weight around 1600# that would be ideal. Max tow is 3500# and I would like to stick around 3000# when loaded just for a margin of safety.

familyof7

I forget did you swap your axle and brake system for a commercial civilian option? I imagine that would shed at least 150# between them, at least what I remember from these trailers is the surge brakes weighted a ton and the axles are very beefy.

familyof7

Well today I won an auction for a M101a1 trailer in Yermo, CA. depending on how long it takes to get the respective paperwork together I too will be building a family wheeling trailer.

BUGOUT2

FAMILYOF7 the cap/topper is not long enough to cover the tailgate he moved his back and made a filler peice for the front. I think I am going to modify my tailgate to fit between the bed rails.

familyof7

I thought I had read that. But I for some reason did not see it when I went back and scrolled.

I am looking at a reading topper! It's an SC 99+8 looks very similar to his topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior