2005 chevy electrical problem

shopkins

aka Glitch
Check for a ground on the frame near the body mount by the drivers door. This is most likely a ground issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forsie

Observer
Check for a ground on the frame near the body mount by the drivers door. This is most likely a ground issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a very good suggestion. My '03 Silverado did a similar thing, just started freaking out and running in "safe mode".

It turns out that the brake control system, fuel pump harness, and transmission and transfer case controls all ground in the same spot. If you lose ground there it starts pulling a bunch of random codes. I pulled the ground on the body mount right under the front door, cleaned up with a wire brush and put it back, problem gone.

Best of luck

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
OK so this is still broken. I just haven't spent the time with it I should. When you own as many rigs as I do its easy to just let one sit. Today I ended up with the day off so I have been working on it.

Fist off the battery was dead so I tested and bought a new battery. I replaced the ground cable a while back I have cleaned the grounds by the left front body mount.

I have not checked the throttle body wiring yet going to do that now.

The truck will start and run the #5 relay will click in and out when this happens the fuel pump stops.

superbuickguy

Explorer
why was the battery dead? I get it's toast, but is there a constant draw on the battery? for example, sometimes the computer will stay on - if it does, dead battery...

StrykerX

Great Lakes Xterras

I would check for loose or poor connection on Ground 103 (Number 1 on Diagram) and Ground 104 (Number 5 on Diagram).

If it was a VATS or Security issue the Security Light will flash while attempting to crank the engine.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Find out what "Relay #5" does. Sounds like it may be the fuel pump relay... If that's the case, and it's shutting off, I believe there is an oil pressure sender that may be flaky, and the computer thinks it's loosing oil pressure... ?? Not sure of an '05 will do this or not really. (Google it!)
I think you have a fairly serious rotten/broken wire ground problem most likely, but that takes a lot of diagnosis...
Chris

nely

Adventurer
P0200 is a code for injector voltage. P0203 is possible it singling out injector 3. But looking at all the codes and the wiring diagram for this truck.

IGN1 relay supplys poweres to most of the components you have codes for except o2 sensors. G104 is the ground for that on the left rear of engine block. But it gets its power from the ignition switch. As does the o2 heaters.

I believe your problem is likely faulty ignition switch more than a ground problem.

nely

Adventurer
Relay #5 is IGN1 relay

Check from 12v power at the pink wire from the ignition switch in the run and start position. That wire controls relay 5 "IGN relay" and power to the o2 sensor heaters.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well with help from you all hear and dumb luck its fixed.

The power wire for the obd port was broken and shorting to the next wire with was not telling the computer the correct signal. I found it when I dropped the third ignition switch and hit it with my hand.

So she is fixed I thank all of you for you help.

nely

Adventurer
Well with help from you all hear and dumb luck its fixed.

The power wire for the obd port was broken and shorting to the next wire with was not telling the computer the correct signal. I found it when I dropped the third ignition switch and hit it with my hand.

So she is fixed I thank all of you for you help.

Hahaha. Atleast its fixed. :thumbup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier