HiLift mount for a DII?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm hoping to get a Hi Lift Extreme soon... still haven't decided on the 4' or 5' model...

First thing though, where is a good place to mount it on a Disco? The spare tire carrier seems like a great option, but I wonder about putting the extra weight on the door? I can make up my own mount easy enough since SafariGard isn't making them anymore. But I'm wondering if that's the best option?

The 4' might allow me to keep it stored inside. But I'm not real fond of that in any case. I'd kind of rather prefer the 5' just because it's that little bit better for use as a winch if necessary.

Similar question for a Pull-Pal mount. Where can you put one on a so far unmodded or lightly modded Disco?

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Are you planning on running a roof rack? I'm personally a big fan of keeping all the weight off the roof if possible and have actually gotten rid of my Safety Devices basket along with all of the other accessories up high. You cannot go wrong with keeping the weight down low and within the inside of the vehicles footprint.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Not sure yet... Of course I love the look with the rack and the lights, sand ladders, etc... but I also understand why it's not the best idea.

If I do have a rack, I don't want to put the jack on it if possible. I would only put light and/or bulky stuff. Sand ladders, tent, etc. And I think I'll probably make a rack out of aluminum to keep the weight down if I do. So I'm with you on that.

I wouldn't want to daily drive with the rack, yet I want to have the jack with me at all times because I'll probably be ditching the factory bottle jack so I can put a second battery there.

Ultimately, I might like to make a custom rear bumper, with twin swing outs for twin spare wheels. And the jack could be accommodated. But I'm not there yet.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Rob,

I love the look of the rack and lights also, so I guess I will be putting my Hi-lift on my rack and I will keep my lift at 2 inches to compensate for the rack and accessories.

If you want to keep everything inside maybe you could find a dog guard and mount these items in the rear, so incase there is an accident they don't come flying towards you.

Pics will be nice to see once you decide on your configuration.

:archaeolo

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Mounting the Hi-Lift on the spare tire will had unecessary weight to the rear door and mess up the hinges and pin, especially if you go to a larger heavier tire (steel wheels add a little more). All of my junk is on the roof and it hasn't made my truck feel any goofier in off camber situations than it already does. I can't say that the rack, shovel, Hi-Lift, and lights have done anything to improve my gas mileage though.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Push bar- mount on top
Roof Rack - (but I see you don't want that)
Spare tire- drawback of possibly bending hinges

Why not do a rear cargo box (sliding drawers and what not) and mount to the top of that?

Dog guard - interesting idea if it holds

Not sure how much room the DII has but under the rear seats?

Are you rear seats used often? Bolt to the angled floor pan that goes up to the rear seats

If you are going with the 5' I am thinking unless you remove rear seats or angle across the rear you will be putting it outside on the spare, custom bumper, or roof!

SMD

Adventurer
Agree to the idea of mounting to a bull bar - RTE or ARB will do just fine. Keeps the weight low for not only purposes of center of gravity, but consider your needs actually access the jack. I'm not weakling, but reaching over my head to pull down an unwieldy, dense, heavy object is not the most fun thing in the world. Now do it on unstable or sloping terrain.

Internal loading isn't too bad, I used to mount mine in the back of my cargo area (D1) with the top clamp turned 90 degrees. Barely fit, but was a bit of a pain to access (unsecuring it since the same tie-downs held other gear in place).

Check out Coleman Racing Products. They sell some roll-bar clamps and other items you may find useful. I used the offset, 2" diameter clamps around the top bar of my ARB. Still a slight gap so I added some old strips from extra bits of the rubber floor pads. Heavy rubber which has held quite nicely.

Not the best picture to show the details of what I'm showing, but perhaps you can zoom in and get an idea.

http://web.mac.com/dickersonsm/Stephen/San_Diego_Backcountry.html#3

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
How about some way to mount it to the rear face of the rear bumper? Anybody ever done that? I started thinking of some kind of bracket that plugs into the reciever, but that just gets too clumsy.

Edit: nevermind, just looked, the rear bumper structure is plastic? ****** is up with that?!

Last edited:

hochung

Adventurer
I vote bullbar. I like the weight in the front rather than rear.

also, i prefer outside rather than inside. I even like to keep my winch remote, recovery straps, tree straps, and shackles in a bag in the passenger footwell. this way they are all within reach without having to get out of the vehicle. Because, when I am stuck, I am REALLY stuck sometimes. and can't even open my door. I end up handing the gear to my recovery assistants.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
For Xmass my dad gave me a Hi-Lift Ultimate with a nice bag of recovery goodies. I also have a Disco II with the only exterior mod being a roof rack which could easily accommodate the jack. However, the bigger dilema is what to do with the rack in the first place!!

Without steel bumpers or sliders, a Hi-Lift has limited uses on a DII. So...my Hi-lift decorates my closet.

I think getting a bull bar will solve two key issues. One, where to mount the darn thing. Two, provide a place to interface the jack so it isn't just off road decoration.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
As you build your truck the ideal location will come to you. Chances are you will change it around atleast once as the buildup progresses. With that said, mount it outside the vehicle. As Ho pointed out, sometimes you're vehicle isn't in a convenient place to open doors to get at it, there's a good chance you'll have to unload other items to get at it, they are noisy, it's one more potential "projectile" in and accident or rollover and do you really want a muddy, dirty piece of equipment mounted inside with the other equipment? Find a place outside in a convenient place. There is a guy with a Jeep around town here that has it mounted to the face of the stock bumper. Obviously doesn't wheel his vehicle or he wouldn't keep it there for long:D
Jason T.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, after talking with some other guys, I'm starting to think it's not the first thing I should be getting as Bill Burke suggests. As mentioned, there's nowhere to jack from on the stock vehicle.

I mainly wanted it for winching, but given the difficulty of mounting, maybe I should just keep saving for a winch for now.

Scott Brady

Founder
Getting a hi-lift is ok, but make sure you have armor on the Discovery that supports using it is a jack.

I too often see hi-lifts fitted to vehicles with no place to "jack" from.

Rovers actually come with a decent bottle jack. Just get a nice base for it and start from there.

superpowerdave

Adventurer
Most stock vehicles don't have great spots to jack from for a hi-lift, but the wheel adapater you can get for one can save a trip (I speak from experience.) The stock bottle jack is a good place to start from though, as stated already.

One thing about Rover factory jacks though - maintain them like you would anything else in the recovery kit. Last time I was out on a Rover event someone went to use their jack and it didn't hold pressure and only extended about four inches. He had to borrow a jack from another member and when I got hom I checked all of mine and one of the three didn't operate properly, just good insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke