BikePacking kit/build list

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
How do you like the Selle saddle? I am looking to grab one some day, as my bike has its original saddle, and I hate it.

Not very impressed. Having used Brooks B17s for years I gave Selle Anatomica a try when they had a $99 pre-Christmas sale. 8 months of riding daily and the tension bolt is more than have used up keeping the leather tight, the frame rails are weak and have bent on me more than once, (they recommend the x seats for folks over 160 to 250lbs) and I weigh in at 175. No major MTB riding on my fatback just rooty xc single-track and gravel roads. I was trying to buy American and from a Wisconsin company but I think I will stick with a tried and true Brooks from now on. Selle's leather is far thicker and more water proof and less break in time but the tweaking frame was a deal breaker for me. I know they updated the saddle for 2014 with a new frame and longer bolt. To be fair I did not give them a chance to fix this problem in a warrantee because I don't want to fuss with sending it in, I just want a seat to work. Sorry for the poor review.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Selle is a Wisconsin company? I though it was out in Cali? My home state is WI, I would LOVE to buy from a WI company :D

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
http://selleanatomica.com/pages/video
Yup I'm a former Stevens Pointer and spent some time outside of Rhinelander before Alaska. My good friend in college built wheels for Trek down in Waterford and I raced WORS with some of the kids from the TREK family on their bouncy Y22s, so I have a soft spot for Midwest bikes. I was lusting after a gunner that came up for sale in Anchorage and was thinking of building it up for the SSWC this year. I think Selle started in Wisco and after the founder died the kids moved the HDQ to Cali but they are still made in Elkhorn.

Around October-December they were doing a sale of $99 for all of their seats in stock. Check on their website in the fall and see what they have if they do the sale again. Also I hope the new frames that they have on the new 2014 seats are stronger then the rails that they had on the old design.

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
I was raised in Eau Claire. TREK is the brand I have been thinking of for a while. I think they still make a model or two in WI. My Niece and Nephew live in Elkhorn at the moment, with one brother in Kenowhere, and the other in Ladysmith or something, dad in Bruce. If Selle is still make in WI, I will try and support them. I need to lose some serious weight though. 190lbs is too much for my short frame to push around!

I will certainly look at the rails and such, take a few measurements when/if I order though. I need a new saddle, but have to save up first.

sjxj

Observer
This is craziness. I'm from Wisconsin Rapids (Kellner, actually)... glad to see some other 'Sconnies around. Dang - Stevens Point. I definitely lived there for a while. And Rhinelander - lots of camping at Camp Tesomas as a kidster. I raced WORS, too!

I'm in the same boat with the saddle discussion. I put a Selle Anatomica on my LHT and I can't even seem to keep the tension bolt tight for a ride. I don't even sway much. Not impressed, so if anyone's interested, I'd sell mine (Titantico X) for 50 buckaroos. Plus, I'd ship it. I'm on B17's on my other bikes (Soulcraft and Moots Phsyclo-X) and a Cambium on my bikepacking rig (Moots Mooto-X 29er YBB). I'll be with Brooks for a while, I reckon.

Good times.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I have a "Native" sticker on the back of my car. If it weren't for the wonky politics, I would love to move back, perhaps to the Western Slopes, or as far out as Moffat County. Not a fan of the East Coast personally. Plus, much greater freedom to explore!

sjxj

Observer
Yeah, I feel ya. At least Fort Collins is far enough north of the city to have a pretty good mix of folks, politically speaking, without being extremely lopsided. I lived in Casper, Wyoming (which is pretty conservative, comparitively) for several years, too, and loved it there. I guess I'm pretty adaptive and good at getting along with anybody, although, living up there it was soooooooo easy to get out of town and you wouldn't have to deal with anybody all day(or as long as you want), so politics didn't even matter. God bless the Pedros/Seminoe Mountains. And the Absarokas. And the Winds. And... you get it.

I've got few friends over in Montrose and Gunnison and I get over there as much as I can. If I can find a way to live in Gunnison without getting a divorce, you can bet I'll do it. As a mountain biker/bikepacker/climber/off-roader/all-around outdoorsman, I love it over there. You know. ;)

Steve

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
This is craziness. I'm from Wisconsin Rapids (Kellner, actually)... glad to see some other 'Sconnies around. Dang - Stevens Point. I definitely lived there for a while. And Rhinelander - lots of camping at Camp Tesomas as a kidster. I raced WORS, too!

I'm in the same boat with the saddle discussion. I put a Selle Anatomica on my LHT and I can't even seem to keep the tension bolt tight for a ride. I don't even sway much. Not impressed, so if anyone's interested, I'd sell mine (Titantico X) for 50 buckaroos. Plus, I'd ship it. I'm on B17's on my other bikes (Soulcraft and Moots Phsyclo-X) and a Cambium on my bikepacking rig (Moots Mooto-X 29er YBB). I'll be with Brooks for a while, I reckon.

Good times.
Steve,
So you know about cheese curds in Rudolph. haha
Brings Bike shop was my go to LBS and the Sports Den in Marshfield outfitted my old Robinson BMX.
If your in your mid 30s I bet I raced you at one point, I used to race BMX in Rapids and spent time at the Lake Nepco Trails, if I was not at Standing Rocks, or 9 mile. Many of the Wells (airport) trails outside of Stevens Point were the daily ride and the trails just south of the black bridge on the Wisconsin River in Point built on Papermill Land were not my doing at least not on a public forum. I would admit more around a campfire.

Now post up the specs on that Moots Moto-x that you are bikepacking on.

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Bike Fatback 170
View attachment 240531

xt/xtr 1x10 with Wolftooth 42 GC
Avid bb7 w/ Xt levers
Easton EC70 seat post and flat bars
Selle Anatomica X
Oury grips
Winter wheels Fatback hubs and Uma 90s with Bud and Ground Control soon to be studded
Summer wheels 616 fab hubs and Velocity Dually 44mm hoops with 45nrth HuskerDu tubeless
Sram xx1 crank w/ Wolftooth spyderless chainring
KMC 10sl chain
King BB and headset
King Cage stem cap waterbottle mount
Nite Ize lite ride GT holding a Mag light LED pro
Bedrock: frame bag and Tapeats bag
Relevate Designs: Feed bag, Jerry Can, Gas Tank, and Pika seatbag
Salsa anything cages on the fork and Sea to Summit eVent 6L drybags
Mystery Ranch Trance XX backpack
Clothing
Ibex Hooded Indy
Ibex seventeen.5 or U-Sixty short sleeve
Ibex Wool Aire Hoody
Patagonia Hoodini
Sockguy socks
Patagonia boxers
ExOfficio Nio Amphi Pant
Ibex skull cap
Ibex Shak glove liners
Marmot precip pants
REI eVent rain jacket
Other gear
Dana Designs Nuktuk tipi (working on getting a smaller tent)
ThermaRest Zrest
Moonstone 20deg synthetic sleeping bag summer
Western Mountaineering Bison GWS winter
Primus Eta Lite stove
MSR Dromlite 2.5L hydration bag
Snowpeak ti spork
Black Diamond Icon headlamp
MSR mini waterpump
Bike parts
one extra tube
Topeak pump
Park I-beam mini tool
KMC missing links
Small bottle of Stans
Letherman skeletool

View attachment 240532

Should be here in a week. Anyone up for a Wrangle trip?

Last edited:

sjxj

Observer
Now post up the specs on that Moots Moto-x that you are bikepacking on.

So pushy! :) Kidding. I'll have to post something up on what I run - I'm super-horrible on that subject. I know I always appreciate it when others have done the same! I usually don't have priorities, but I'll try to make it more important than other stuff I'm up to for now.

I have definitely ridden the secret island singletrack off of HH in Stevens Point, done many loops around Standing Rocks, and until a few years ago rode the trails around NEPCO. That's all crazy to hear the same from you. The trails around NEPCO have all been closed because some brothers bought all the land and want to develop it - suuuuuuck. I really liked riding out there, too, right near the river/lake. Kind of a bummer when I go home to visit the folks, but living in Colorado on the front range makes up for it. Bring's was my go-to shop. I can still remember buying my Pitbull brakes and my first Profile 3-piece crank for my sweet ol' Redline I bought from there, too. As a kid I thought the dudes there were wierdos, but looking back, they were pretty cool. Al Bring was a pretty cool guy.

Oh, yeah, and them curds. Yuuuuummmm. It's really too bad I've gone lac-tarded and can't have them anymore. But, all my friends are happy about me bringing them back when I visit the cheese holyland for the holidays.

Okee. Back to trying to buy a house. Talk about a 0-100mph time-suck. I'll letcha know more about the Moots when I get a chance. Details are good... but, pictures are better. Well, video is best, but I ain't got none of that.

And dude, nice bike, by the way!

Stever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke