I y'all to help me out w/ some gen2.5 or gen 1 choices

1morebike

Adventurer
That 1st gen reminds me of an older Range Rover and that's not a bad thing, but far more reliable. For safety reasons alone I would hold out for the right gen 2.5, I couldn't in good conscience put my wife and child in an older rig without at least airbags, plus the heated leather seats and having the option of making a bed out of the flat seats is always nice.

i'm wrestling with this myself.

Jamacee

Observer
So I have been looking around and all I am seeing with a SR/winter package for reasonable price have 200-305k and are between 96-99 model years.

So here is the question. Let's say we all know the rational thing to do is wait for the one you want except the 'best deal' hamster wheel keeps going around in your head....

Would you get a high mileage (200k+)SR or low mileage LS?

Several of these LS'es I am coming across are one owner low miles and service records.

But the SR's there is a guy selling the perfect 97 SR but it's friggin 259k and his ad says half miles are being pulled behind RV?! So what's the trans like there buddy?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So I have been looking around and all I am seeing with a SR/winter package for reasonable price have 200-305k and are between 96-99 model years.

So here is the question. Let's say we all know the rational thing to do is wait for the one you want except the 'best deal' hamster wheel keeps going around in your head....

Would you get a high mileage (200k+)SR or low mileage LS?

Several of these LS'es I am coming across are one owner low miles and service records.

But the SR's there is a guy selling the perfect 97 SR but it's friggin 259k and his ad says half miles are being pulled behind RV?! So what's the trans like there buddy?

Most RV owners know how to tow and look for a tow-behind vehicle that has a neutral setting/mode on the transfer case, this typically puts ZERO strain on the transmission, do a bit of reading on the topic.

Clem

Adventurer
I think ideally I like the 97 SR package the best. SOHC + locker + 4.6 in the diff.

Am I missing anything?
I'm pretty sure the 97 SR has the 4.27 gearing from the factory like the gen 2.5...I think there is one member on here with a 97 SR, maybe he'll chime in.

YMMV,

Clem

Jamacee

Observer
So I talked to the 97 sr 259k lady today and the tow behind motor home is a third party story - they bought it for daughter from someone that bought from auction from a dealer trade in. They have only had it a month or so. Daughter can't afford the gas and doesn't have a job so parents are selling it.

TB/WP service unknown.

The lowest they will go is 2500.

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SR Automatic 3000

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4562222769.html

Jamacee

Observer
I haven't edmunds these rigs yet but what is a clean, straight, well kept, good maint. Records, etc. Monty fetching in the real world?

I am sure he'd say no to my $3k offer in a hurry. Lol

Clem

Adventurer
I paid $5K for my 99 a couple years ago. It had ~95K miles, had some body work, needed timing belt service & tires (still does, LOL).

HTH,

Clem

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So I talked to the 97 sr 259k lady today and the tow behind motor home is a third party story - they bought it for daughter from someone that bought from auction from a dealer trade in. They have only had it a month or so. Daughter can't afford the gas and doesn't have a job so parents are selling it.

TB/WP service unknown.

The lowest they will go is 2500.

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SR Automatic 3000

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4562222769.html

So give them the $2500 already!

Jamacee

Observer
Hahaha thanks Clem and JNM!

Believe it or not I think I have it almost worked out on the 97 SR. I had some reservations w/ the mileage and it is 3.5hrs from me. So there is a real good chance the story is true about it being flat hauled in neutral behind a motor home.

I have a buyer that wants my trooper pretty bad.

The Monty seller is a nice single mom trying to stay on her feet w/ 3kids. She needs a Honda or will take 2300 cash for Monty. Meaning should I try and help her out and buy a nice honda here in the city where there will be way more choices than in Shelby,NC drive it up and title for title or find a ride and give her $2300 (this convo happened a couple hours ago.)

So now I am trying to decide what the best way to go about it is.

Jamacee

Observer
Who do I message about changing the subject line of this thread?

I pulled the trigger on willwinchforfood 's 91 LSR.

I am pretty stoked.

Figured I go ahead and use this as the start of a build thread. The rig doesn't need much John did a lot already.

Already has:

95 sr rear w/ working compressor wired on the sweet faceplate he built
95 sr front calipers
LSD up front
And all the proper maintenance

Short term plans:
Roof rack
Windshield
*hope* to find rear slider windows
Window tint to keep interior a little cooler
New paint (Macao?) thing a satin green in Original color, white top, line x rockers
Sliders

Long term plans:

Adventure wagon so my kids will throw themselves on the ground crying at the thought of giving up the adventure memory mobile.....or something like that.

Also wanted to say thanks the willwinchforfood - hope he enjoys his new burb!

8edyzana.jpg
2a6urusa.jpg
besevy5y.jpg
9a3a7a3y.jpg
y8abu6e9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles