Review - James Baroud Space Evolution

Septu

Explorer
This here is my review of my James Baroud Space Evolution RTT after setting it up and my first weekend camping in it.

When I bought my m101 trailer, it came with a Tepui Kukenam RTT. Not a bad tent... but not the one I wanted. I wanted something that was faster to setup/take down (most of my camping is while on the go, and rarely do I spend more than 1 night in the same place). I read all the reviews, on the Autohome and James Baroud (the only 2 brands that I was interested in). I wanted the headroom of the Columbus, but wanted more foot room, and didn't like the stories of water getting into them... and decided on the JB Escape Evolution, as it had the headroom, and the foot room.

So at a huge cost (when it was all said and done (tent, shipping and duty) ~$5100 - yeah I know) I ordered exactly the one I wanted. Had a rack fab'd up, and got it mounted. And before having a chance to use it... scored a sweat deal on a teardrop that's practically in my backyard (neighboring Alaska). Having my departure to Alaska delayed, I decided to go camping and test out the new tent!

Some thoughts. Some is on the tent... some is on my setup (mainly COG I believe). Traveled 90 minutes to Pine Lk campground (just outside of Haines Junction, YT). Got to my camp site, and deployed the tent. Took all of 15-30 seconds. Tossed my bedding in, and then grabbed some beer and went and visited my friends at the next site. Four hours later, and several beers in, my buddy decided that midnight was late enough and we called it a night. Decided to open the awning to pose for a shot (taken at midnight).

10492222_10152155815182595_1589456790569989974_n.jpg

Then went to go to bed. Now as to the tent... There's way too many zippers (and this goes for all 3 doors/openings). Both the door and the interior screen door (there's 2 completely separate doors) have 4 zippers each, and a Velcro bottom (I mean really... couldn't put a zipper there... or just run it past the bottom of the tent and let it hang like the Kukenam did!?). Anyway this is a pain in the *** after having a few beers and trying to see which zipper to use to get out to take a pee. The Velcro is also annoying as it touches, then makes it hard to get the zipper to close without adjusting it. And if you don't get it all the way to the bottom you'll have a small hole... while from the looks of things would allow water in if it's raining.

Good news is that even with the never ending daylight in the Yukon come summer, the tent was still fairly dark inside. The built in fan works great, as does the light (it would just be nice if the button was a tad closer - or my arms were longer). Was very warm the first night (had the fan off, and was all buttoned up). Opened up the vents in the doors, and turned the fan on the 2nd night and was too cold (only had a sheet and a microfleece). Buttoned it back up, and turned the fan off and it did eventually warm up. This tent (white with a black vinyl wrap) gets fairly warn during the day. Fan and partially opened doors (just the tops) was easily enough to cool it down fairly quickly when I went for an afternoon seista (aided by beer and a light rain). We had some very mild rain (1-3mm) and inside was completely dry.

As for the ladder... in simple terms it royally sucks ***. When I was setting it up in my driveway after mounting it on my trailer... I found that because it doesn't lock (just 2 sliding pieces) and that the top part hangs off the side of the tent... that me at 245 will flex out the side of the tent when I put my full weight on the top portion. Which means you have to place it in such a manor that your weight isn't on that top section*. Also as I found this weekend if you have your toes between the different portions/rungs and step on the wrong one, it will compress on your toes. It's also damn narrow, and the hooks on the end are not long enough to prevent a user who's not completely sober from knocking the ladder out of them, and having it fall away. Fortunately I caught it, and was able to get it back in place. Just a note... even sober I knocked the ladder off when testing the setup in my driveway. I ordered the same ladder I have on my Tepui where each individual rung will latch, thus allowing all the weight to be on the ground, and not off the side of the tent. I'll have my local fab shop make up a couple of mounts to mount to the stock points. I'll also make sure they lock/latch to the tent. More on the ladder at the bottom.

The mattress which I initially thought was pretty decent, needs to be upgraded. Again, at 5,9 and 245 I'm not light... but while it's manageable, 2 nights was rough, and left me really looking forward to my very nice mattress at home tonight. I'm thinking that a pair of cheaper thermarests under the stock mattress should do the job. If not I'll return them and figure something else out.

The tent is 55 inches (4.58' wide). Lots of room for 1 person... enough for 2 people - as long as you're on good terms with that person. For me, I would not share it with another dude... but would if it was a someone of the female persuasion that I liked. For a couple on an extended trip... it would be cozy. I could easily sit upright... and had to to reach the button for the light. The tent is 78" long (6.5'). With my two pillows, and stretching out, my feet frequently hit the end of the tent. I just angled myself somewhat. Not a big issue (again, was just me), but would otherwise have to either lose a pillow (oh no!), or re-adjust how I'm setup. I did neither, and dealt with it. For me (5-9) this is a non issue. However if I was much taller, I think I'd have to look at the extra long version (if they have one). Other than the ladder, and all the zippers on the doors, getting in and out through the large doors wasn't an issue. Not quite as easy as my Kukenam, but easy enough. With a better ladder, shouldn't be an issue.

Take down time was maybe 1-2 minutes. MUCH faster than the Kukenam - especially with my 4" thermarest in there (that had to be deflated) and prevented me from keeping all my bedding in it. I left my pillow, sheets and microflece in there (as I would if I was traveling). The tent latches down with 4 hooks/latches (2 front, 2 rear sides). You have to do the rear first, and with the pillow in there, getting the first one in was hard. However after the first was in, the rest were easy. Just go around tucking the doors in as you latch it up. I didn't put the ladder in there. I'm assuming with with more practice (both in stowing it, and how/where I store my pillow(s) and bedding), it'll get easier.

Other than the ladder (which I'll touch on again in a min) and the crappy mattress (which was miles ahead of the stock one in my Kukenam) the tent was very good. My only other issue is that tiny movements in the tent will really rock the trailer. With just myself in there it's annoying, but manageable. But if I had company, it would be annoying... In addition to these tiny movements that rocked the trailer, when going over small bumps they would really rock the tent/trailer. Even after buying the TD I was planning on taking this down to BC on a wheeling trip and taking it on the trail (one I've never been on).... however I'm not so sure that's a good idea now, seeing how top heavy it is. And having just bought a TD (that I won't take on the trail), I won't have the funds this summer to make any adjustments to try and deal with this (new lid/new lower rack). The weight (loaded, sans water) is 1300 lbs (full cooking gear, spare tire, lots of firewood, etc). Some sort of stabilizer would likely help with that issues... at least while deployed for sleeping. I'll explore this more once I figure out what I'm going to do with both trailers.

*Now as for the ladder, I decided to replace it (at a cost ~$185 + fab work for the mounts) for 2 reasons. One because when I put my weight on the top part, it would flex out the whole side of the tent. One side (my tent is offset slightly) where there's more overhang flexes out a lot more than the other. Considering that the shipping cost me 1k the fact that there's a warranty means very little (unless they're going to cover the shipping... which I highly doubt). I might be able to ship it to one of the two Canadian dealers and have them deal with it... which would likely cut the shipping in half.... but basically unless the tent falls apart, of something little breaks where they can just send me the part, the shipping costs make it prohibitive to have the tent replaced. The 2nd reason was 2 fold. A the way it latches in royally sucks. I knocked it off when testing it after setting it up, and I did so again after a few beers when getting out to pee this weekend. B, it's way too narrow. I haven't measured it, but it's roughly 12 inches wide. Which when you're climbing out backwards after a beer or two, makes it hard to find - especially as it's easy to knock out of the mounts. I'd be terrified to use this if I had this mounted on my jeep.

Conclusion.

Very very nice tent. Very fast deployment, very fast takedown. Very very expensive. The breakdown (for me) was ~3300 for the tent (stupid exchange rate), ~1k for shipping from NJ to Whitehorse Yukon, and ~$800 for duty (18%) and GST (5%). Had I ordered it from one of the 2 Canadian dealers (both on the west coast) I might have saved $3-400... however one was explicit on their website that they wouldn't ship (and didn't have this model in stock), and the other never responded to emails - even after being prompted by the US office. They (per JB USA) didn't have this model in stock either. Mediocre mattress (which I've come to accept as par for the course for RTTs). Atrocious ladder design - yes its light and likely strong, and easy to setup... but I really can't believe that a tent that costs this much would have something this ****ty for a ladder. It's unfortunate that a tent that goes for 3k, one will still need to upgrade the mattress and make some changes to the ladder (either replacing as I will, or some other minor ones to at least keep it in the holders).

That said... it's a damn nice tent, and even knowing what I do now would still have likely purchased it. It sucks that it cost me what it did... but then that goes hand in hand with where I've chosen to live. For someone in the lower 48, this would cost maybe $3500 shipped. At which point... it becomes a very good tent. Expensive... but one that should last a lifetime. Even if I sell both trailers and go with something else (I can easily make a profit on the TD) I'll keep the tent. Partly because of the cost for me to get it up here, partly because I could never re-coup that cost, and partly because it's a damn nice tent.

I ordered mine from James Baroud USA/OK4WD (it's the same people/company) and dealt with Craig Davidson. He was great, helping me through the process to import it into Canada, and answering all my never ending questions. I can't say enough good things about his service, and how helpful and patient he was.

http://4wheelauto.com/
http://www.jamesbaroudusa.com/discoveryspaceevolution.php
http://www.jamesbaroud.com.au/ (more specs here)

Some pictures. With my 2012 JKU. (taken around 11pm - God I live the Yukon in the summer!)
10384809_10152129579572595_8583843682651453324_n.jpg

Taken before I attached the awning (bar is to set the pole width, awning will mount to it). I had it raised to see about entering/exiting from that side. I had less flex, but while camping, used the passenger side, and just tried to say on the rungs from the bottom part of the ladder.

10500441_10152129413962595_57982291601063148_n.jpg

10410367_10152129413752595_1416929718860348989_n.jpg

10492457_10152129413412595_1918867911234135386_n.jpg

Glad to see that if the weather is bad, I can setup the ladder on this side, and enter/exit under the awning. Until I sort out the flex issue, will have to use this side.

10460738_10152129413252595_2119858419764348617_n.jpg

10403240_10152129412952595_1545509286523135551_n.jpg

10446558_10152129412577595_7844848023665212982_n.jpg

Hopefully this is useful should anyone else be considering one of these tents (they are nice).

KellyM

Adventurer
Thanks for the review Septu. I am trying to source a ladder for my UMV J30 top, and was thinking of using the James Baroud because I liked the idea of the hooks at the top. After your review, I think I may need to keep looking. Do you have any pictures of the Tepui ladder you ordered? I would love to see what you fab up for mounts.

Kelly

grogie

Like to Camp
Interesting tent as I had not heard of it. Looks like you'll get a lot of good use out of it!

Yes, all mattresses seem to need to be upgraded or improved. My RTT, I've added a cheap double sleeping bag with a 1-1/2" gel top pad that goes between the stock pad and individual sleeping bags. Unforutnely it's all too thick to leave inside the RTT and close it up. But, for extending camping, nothing is better then a peaceful night in God's country.

Enjoy! And cool JK btw! :wave:

concretejungle

Adventurer
OK, so i also have this tent and i felt that i should chime in a little.

The zippers at first i agree and still agree that there are too many zippers and the velcro on the bottom sucks. It doesn't suck, it just should be a zipper. And there should just be two zippers, not 4. But after using it for a few days i see advantages of those, You can have it so you just unzip the top, or just unzip the bottom. Depends on if it's raining or you just want a breeze. So there is some logic to them. A great example would be when i camped at an event with thousands of people camped all around me. I wanted to just nap in the tent so i was able to unzip the top and let it hang down half way so that the screens were all open up top to allow a breeze, but the bottom of the doors were still in place so that anyone walking around the truck couldn't look up and into my tent.

As for the ladder. I think it's great. I'm must say that 245lbs on any of these RTT camping ladders is a good bit of weight. I'm 195lbs. Just my 2cents based on the 6 or so RTT models i've seen. You can easily adjust the ladder so it's not tilted out so far and also so all the steps line up and you can step on two at at time. Also, i personally find that the hooks on the end and the little tabs on the tent work great. It keeps the ladder locked in place and keeps it from sliding side to side. Again, this is just my experience. The only complaint i have about the ladder and it's honestly been with all the RTT ladders i've used, they hurt my skinny bare feet! Using flip flops or something on your feet certainly help. It's not "that" big of a deal, but that's the only complaint i have with the ladder.

The mattress i think is just fine for the 14 nights in a row i slept on it. I have since added a 1 inch memory foam topper that just makes it even better. I DO think that the tent is a few inches too short for the American market. I'm 6'0 and 'just' barely fit while stretched out.

My only other complaint is with the strength of the gas struts that open and hold open the tent. They are strong, so closing it can often be difficult on a hot day when the gas struts seem to be the strongest.

As for everything else, i just love it! Also the price was more like $2800 plus $300shipping and i was done, from the same company.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Thanks for the review Septu. I am trying to source a ladder for my UMV J30 top, and was thinking of using the James Baroud because I liked the idea of the hooks at the top. After your review, I think I may need to keep looking. Do you have any pictures of the Tepui ladder you ordered? I would love to see what you fab up for mounts.

Kelly

Ladder still hasn't arrived (odd as it's been a few weeks). But here's a picture I took off the Tepui site. As concretejungle said 245 lbs isn't light... but the Tepui ladder takes the weight off the side of the tent as it's a telescoping ladder where each rung locks into place. It's also wider, which makes it easier to navigate.

TELE1__18259.1397065311.1280.1280.jpg

As for the zippers... I agree it makes sense with how they designed it (having tons of options). I did the same thing as you, and had an afternoon nap with the doors partially opened at the top for a breeze. It's just a lot of zippers when you want to exit in the dark to use the facilities.

geordie4x4

Observer
Thanks for the review Septu.
I have also recently upgraded from a cheap Chinese made hard shell RTT to the far better but as you say expensive, JB Espace evolution and love it.

Compared to cranking a winding handle to wind the scisor lift mechanism up whilst balancing on the side step of my 4x4 and holding the door mirror to not fall off, this thig is such a pleasure to put up in 30 seconds flat. Now I have the hang of folding down, it is also so easy to pack and go in the morning.
I am getting used to the zippers, it is nice on a hot night to be able to fold down the top half of the doors.

I added some foam matting under the mattress to cover the thickness of the bolts that come through the floor from the mounting rails.

Only complaints or suggestions:
They could have fitted flush head bolts in the floor under the mattress.
The latches could have been stainless steel (already starting a little rust where the paint rubs off as the wire part of the latch comes under tension in the hook part).
The vent on each side could have a one way valve to stop dust comming in (we drive on a lot of long, long dusty trips over here in Australia) Might have to fit something myself.

Ladder, I would like to have a locking tab or maybe I will fit a heavy duty strap around the rungs will be fine.
The ladder had a lot of sharp edges on the connecting brackets (had to carefully file them off to avoid taking skin off when climbing the ladder) I have also had a canvas bag made for the ladder as the light weight bag it came in was torn open by the sharp edges as I first took the ladder out. For the price it should be better finished and have a decent storage bag.

It is a bit short, but hey, so am I.

I would really like some sort of little awning over the door to get up or down the ladder if it is raining. I am thinking of how to make something simple to fit over the open door for cover. But it needs to be supported with something like a flexible fiberglass rod type tent pole so it will not flap in the wind or need too many things to attach.

I like your awning on the trailer idea, great work.

Last edited:

joelbert

Adventurer
ladder storage?

Where does the "official" ladder that ships with it actually store?

Their website is not clear on this point.

Septu

Explorer
I toss mine (in the bag it came with) inside the trailer box. I could probably fit it in the tent itself... however with the 1.5" thermarest I put under the stock mattress (very comfy now) and my bedding (sheets, blanket and 2 pillows) I think it would be a lot of stuff in there - but would still probably fit. My new ladder is even shorter (compacts down to about 2 feet). But I still do not plan on stowing it in the tent. I just don't like the idea of doing that. This one will probably be stored in the jeep simply due to how small it is, and how much easier it'll fit.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I would really like some sort of little awning over the door to get up or down the ladder if it is raining. I am thinking of how to make something simple to fit over the open door for cover. But it needs to be supported with something like a flexible fiberglass rod type tent pole so it will not flap in the wind or need too many things to attach.

I like your awning on the trailer idea, great work.

I totally agree about that. I think it would be super easy to incorporate into a newer V2 model. Infact there is another tent company i have seen (roost) that is making a run back onto the market that has just that very thing, it's just a very small awning that pokes out over the door which looks super simple and effective.

In regards to closing it, once you get the hang of closing it, it's not bad, but i still think the struts are a little too strong.

I have not noticed the bolts in the floor through the mattress. I can see what you are talking about when you lift the mattress up, but i haven't felt them yet.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
<snip> Infact there is another tent company i have seen (roost) that is making a run back onto the market that has just that very thing, it's just a very small awning that pokes out over the door which looks super simple and effective.

Alex,
Where did you see this? I checked their site and he's still showing the original design (sans over-door awning). One of these days I'm going to pull trigger on redoing the fabric, doors, etc., on my Columbus and want to integrate eyelid type awnings over each door...

Septu

Explorer
Any updates for your review? Is there a reason you chose one of the sloped roof models over one with a flat roof? I'm considering a JB Evasion Evolution. I think the full roof extension may work better for two of us.

No, not really. It worked great on my wheeling trip this summer (hauled it down the trail), and my fellow wheelers were pretty envious - I slept great that night. I still haven't made the changes to the ladder - however I will this spring as I'll be selling my teardrop and just going with the m101 and JB.

As for choosing the sloped roof over the flat roof there were 3 main considerations. One I wanted to be able to comfortably sit upright in the tent, and not feel cramped in the tent. Now I'm not the tallest (5-9), but with this model I cannot touch the peak without lifting my shoulders off the mattress. The second was related to the costs. I've never been or seen one of the other models in person, so considering the costs involved to get this tent to me (1700 shipping/duty in addition to the cost of the tent and the exchange rate) I couldn't afford to make a mistake. And third, while I don't "hang out" in my tent, I have no issues crawling in for an afternoon nap, or if I just want to escape and have some time to myself. Having the peaked roof, it really gives you the sense that there's a lot more room in there than there actually is.

If you're considering the other model, I would ask this question. How much room do you need down by your feet anyway? Unless you plan on having a pet come sleep with you (which would make one of these tents damn cramped) Do you really need 4 feet of head room over your feet? Now if you're taller, then that would make more sense, as I with 2 pillows and being 5-9 just occasionally touch my toes against the shell when they're straight up. But as I rarely sleep like that, it's not a big issue. Losing a pillow would resolve it as well. But I would ask around. I'm sure someone in the PNW has one of the full roof models - even if it's an Autohome. See if you and your wife/GF can crawl up into one just to see what it's like. Who knows, that might have been a better option for me... but based on the cost to get it to me, it wasn't a chance I was willing to take.

However after using it, I'm very very happy with it. I've listed my complaints above (mattress/ladder). The mattress I resolved by placing a 1.5"
x 30" wide thermarest under the stock mattress - very comfy now. Wouldn't work for two people, but is more than fine for me for now. And the ladder issue will be resolved this spring once I dig out enough snow to get the gate open to get the trailer out of the back yard and down to the fab guys I use. So yeah, while this cost me a small fortune, I'm still very happy with it.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Thanks for the response. I've read several descriptions of the fabric, but I'm not sure if it uses a waterproof coating that can rub off over time, or if it's impregnated. What's your opinion on the long term waterproof quality of the fabric?

Like you, my pop-up will probably be sold this spring. It got my family out of the house, but it can't go far offroad, and it hurts fuel economy more than an RTT. The main reason I was looking at flat roof models was for the ability for a second person to have some space at the other end during non-sleep time. I've got a long trip to Alaska coming up with my daughter, and if we're rained in, that may be important. :)

After looking around more and giving some thought to how I'd use an RTT, I think the JB Nomad 160 might work better for me. The twin, covered vestibules should lend themselves to sheltering the doors of my Tacoma. In a pinch, I could squeeze three into it, too.

Yeah that could go both ways. Gives more room for multiple people, but less room individually. I'd still try and see one in person to get a better idea of the size to make sure it'll work for you. Because from personal experience... it's a long *** drive up here from Seattle, and not having a good sleeping setup for a trip that long would royally suck. But if you even think you'll want to sleep 3 in it, a JB will not work. I mean mine is "wide" at 4.5 feet... and for 2 people you'd better expect to be cozy. I mean if she's single and cute, sure no problem, I'll share, and you know... 'make it work' :D. But if it's a dude... he's gotta have his own tent, or he can sleep in the jeep. So that might be something you want to keep in mind.

But when you get up here (Whitehorse YT), look me up and I'll buy you a beer.

I specifically went from a Tepui Kukenam to the JB because I wanted the fast setup/take down. Not that the Tepui was bad... it was just longer than I'd like when it was pouring rain. And dealing with the zipper for the cover was a pain in the butt - and that was on a trailer where the tent was at chest level. And considering most of my camping is done as a one night thing along the side of the road somewhere, I specifically wanted a fast setup and take down. I also for whatever reason felt uncomfortable with the tent hanging over the side of the trailer when staying in rest area's or Walmarts (have done that a few times). I still feel odd with the JB, but for whatever reason it bothers me less.

As for the water proofing... it seems okay, however I got lucky, and the only time I used it when it rained, it was a super light rain that didn't last long. So while I think it'll be fine, I can't really comment. However the reviews on this seem to be very very good.

Back to the hard shell, I've only found one bad review, and it'd be worth the time to keep an eye on how the thread progresses:

James Baroud tent failure?

Thanks for that. I haven't had any issues, and my customer service from OK4X4 has been amazing. My situation is also somewhat special that due to the shipping costs, I can't ship it to them for warranty. But yeah wrecking the fiberglass is a concern to an extent... but I still haul it down the trail.

Thanks for the response. I've read several descriptions of the fabric, but I'm not sure if it uses a waterproof coating that can rub off over time, or if it's impregnated. What's your opinion on the long term waterproof quality of the fabric?

Like you, my pop-up will probably be sold this spring. It got my family out of the house, but it can't go far offroad, and it hurts fuel economy more than an RTT. The main reason I was looking at flat roof models was for the ability for a second person to have some space at the other end during non-sleep time. I've got a long trip to Alaska coming up with my daughter, and if we're rained in, that may be important. :)

After looking around more and giving some thought to how I'd use an RTT, I think the JB Nomad 160 might work better for me. The twin, covered vestibules should lend themselves to sheltering the doors of my Tacoma. In a pinch, I could squeeze three into it, too.

Back to the hard shell, I've only found one bad review, and it'd be worth the time to keep an eye on how the thread progresses:

James Baroud tent failure?

The fabric is impregnated with six layers of aluminum which makes it 100% waterproof and UV Resistant. The fabric will never have to be treated.

Craig Davidson
Operations Manager
James Baroud USA

Thanks, Craig! From your site:

"The awnings are made from same material as the roof top tents &#8211; six layer aluminized polyester with an acrylic coating."

My concern was that the acrylic coating would wear off, as I've seen happen with other tent fabrics. I don't have a JB retailer near me, so I'll rely on you and others to fill me in.

Since you're here, do you know what U.S. retailers carry the JB awnings that attach below the RTTs? I've seen photos of them on your site and others, but I haven't seen any other details about them.

Also, I've seen some of your videos, and more than anything, they really help illustrate the ease of use with James Baroud products. The hard shells understandably get the most attention, but I'd like to see some setup videos of the soft tents & awnings. Simple, real time setup and stowing videos would make it easier to see what sets your products apart from the competition. You could start with the Nomad 160. :)

The coating will not wear off as it is adhered right into the fabric.

As for who carries the awnings all our dealers have access to them, we have them in our Wharehouse.

We just did another video on the Hard Shell Tents on how to mount, open and close the tents. When the weather warms up we will be doing the Soft Shell Tents with complete instructions on mounting, opening and closing of the tents.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Thanks
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94