treadwright guard dogs

nucktaco

Adventurer
Ive got a 2008 tacoma with bumpers, skids, sliders and a canopy. plan on adding a RTT and some other gear in the next 6 months or so. Me and the GF are planning a 2 week trip next year to the yukon and alaska and plan on doing the "top of the world highway" and the dempster.

im gona be needing new tires soon and have been looking at the 35/12.5x17 treadwright guard dogs. for the longest time i had read nothing but good reviews and now im starting to see a few about failures with this brand of tire. anyone have an experience with the guard dogs or an opinion either way?

the nice thing is i could afford 6 so could take 2 spares with me for the trip. any help would be greatly appreciated. :smiley_drive:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
No experience with these tires, but when it comes to online reviews don't take them too seriously. You might have 98% positive reviews, and those last 2% are just people with a chip on their shoulder. I've read reviews where people gave something zero starts because the box was damaged during delivery even though the product inside was just fine. If, however, you find something that is consistently reviewed poorly then you've got your answer. Two spares is a good idea though, and a tire repair kit and some sort of on board air.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
FYI, Treadwright is under new ownership and has relocated to Houston, Texas.

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20140428/ISSUE/304289981/treadwright-has-new-digs

TreadWright has new digs

HOUSTON—After operating for 15 years in Hot Springs, S.D., light truck/SUV tire retreader TreadWright Inc. has uprooted its operations and moved to a 50,000-sq.-ft. facility in Houston.

Since changing ownership in 2011, the retreader has been making plans to expand its business. The move to the major port city is expected to be more cost effective and improve its production capabilities, according to President Peter Sloan.

TreadWright, founded in 1981 by Joe Hawkins, was originally called High-Tec Retreading. It most recently was owned and operated by his grandsons, Aaron, Joel and Rick Hawkins Jr. In August 2011, the Hawkins family sold a majority interest in the company to Denver-based Pine Street Growth Partners, a private equity group, so as to transition into a more supervisory role in the business, according to Mr. Sloan, one of the three partners in the equity firm.

The move to Houston earlier this year was the final step in the management transition, he said. All the equipment and operations were relocated from the nearly 30,000 sq.-ft. facility in Hot Springs to the new premises in Houston.

The company is in the process of hiring staff to fill 20 positions at all levels. In the near term, the company expects to grow its staff to 30.

The company also launched a redesigned website featuring a new look for the brand and an enhanced customer experience, the retreader said, in an effort to build brand awareness and consumer recognition of the brand and its high-performance tires.

“Our relocation to a major market city and the launch of the new website are key milestones for us and for our customers,” Mr. Sloan said. “They are in response to our mission to meet and exceed our customers' needs.”

The company is ranked as the fifth largest passenger/light truck tire retreader in North America, based on rubber used in 2013, according to Tire Business' annual rankings of retreaders.

The Houston facility is manufacturing an average of 180 mold-cure light truck retreads per day, Mr. Sloan said, but peak production is expected to reach 250 to 300 tires per day, especially during the busy season of hunting and fishing in autumn.

The plant retreads tires in 15- to 19.5-inch rim diameter sizes and plans to launch a 20-inch tire in the future, according to Mr. Sloan.

TreadWright sells its retreaded tires directly to customers via its website, phone and walk-ins. Its sales have grown mainly through word-of-mouth, Mr. Sloan said.

About 60 percent of sales are made through its website, he said, so the revamped site is designed to help customers search tires by using a search-by-vehicle window; view all TreadWright tires by sizes; and provide a descriptive infographic showing the retread production process. Outdoor enthusiasts are directed to videos where they can view the outdoor capabilities of TreadWright tires.

“Our biggest obstacle to sales is getting (consumers) to know the product is out there and getting them to embrace the value of the product. And once they try it, they're believers. We're growing the market at the same time we're growing TreadWright,” Mr. Sloan said.

The company hasn't set up dealer distribution due to its production capacity limitations.

“Our biggest challenge is that we can't make enough tires to satisfy demand. We have back orders. We have frustrated customers. And by making the move to Houston, we can build the team, we can build up our capacity, so not only can we serve our current customers better, but it enables us to go to a regional tire chain...and give predictable supply to support inventory requirements.

“Right now, until we get the plant up and running at full speed, we can't deliver on that goal. But that is our goal.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/nuts-and-bolts/2014/04/affordable-tire-manufacturer-moves-hq-to-houston.html?page=all

Affordable tire manufacturer moves HQ to Houston

A South Dakota tire manufacturer has rolled into Houston.
TreadWright, a small but growing manufacturing company that converts recycled tires into new tires for light trucks, SUVs and off-road vehicles, has moved its headquarters from South Dakota to Houston.
The company recently began local recycling and manufacturing production at a 50,000-square-foot facility on Navigation Boulevard in east Houston, and it already has a team of about 20 people. By the end of the year, TreadWright expects to have 30 employees as well open a retail store at its facility.
Peter Sloan, TreadWright’s president, explained that the company uprooted itself from a small town in South Dakota and moved to Houston to have easier access to customers and tap into a larger labor market.
TreadWright, which was founded in 1981, stayed in South Dakota until now because it was a family business. Sloan is actually part of the private equity firm, Denver’s Pine Street Growth Partners, which scooped up TreadWright in 2011. With a new infusion of capital, the company decided that Houston was the best place to grow the company.
TreadWright has a fairly unique business model, Sloan said. After “remolding” the casing of used tires — the finished tire products are made up of 70 percent recycled content — the tires are given a tread that makes them ideal for light trucks that are being used for off-roading, on ranches or on other rough terrains. Because the company uses recycled tires, it can oftentimes price its tires hundreds of dollars cheaper than new truck tires.
“With TreadWright, I don’t have to drop $2,000 on a pair of tires for my truck,” Sloan said. “In South Dakota, we sometimes had people driving from Nebraska save a few hundred dollars on tires. And they are safe and will last just as long (as regular tires).”
Since TreadWright doesn’t sell its tires in retail outlets, customers have to pay for shipping tires or have to pick them up at the manufacturing facility.
In South Dakota, TreadWright didn’t have access to many customers, but Sloan said this will change in Houston. With access to a major metropolitan area such as Houston, TreadWright expects more customers to pick up their tires from the manufacturing facility. That’s why the company also wants to open a retail storefront at the facility in the near future.
Although TreadWright’s business is still small — it sells under $10 million in products a year — Sloan forecasts significant growth for his company. This is because TreadWright does not have many direct recycled tire manufacturing competitors, the company has a “green” angle and its products are affordable, he said.

My previous dealings with the old Treadwright in South Dakota were nothing but positive, I have no experience with the new, relocated business. It appears they've had some issues with production and customer service of late but according to the CEO, they are trying to make amends:

July 1 at 4:30pm

To Our Valued Customers -

As you may know, our company moved into a new 50,000 sq/ft manufacturing facility in Houston, TX this year. This new facility gives us the needed production capacity to finally build a stable inventory of the products you want most. We are truly committed to offering the highest level of service and putting out a stellar eco-friendly product.
These changes have caused some delays and TreadWright’s overall response time has not been as timely as you have come to expect. We have heard you and have addressed these issues by implementing the following changes in service and production.
1. We now house our entire customer service team on-site, in Houston. This means that with close contact to the production team, we can provide you faster and more accurate information about orders, warranties and shipping times.
2. We’ve added manufacturing and engineering resources to ensure that we produce the highest quality of retread tires on the market today in the most efficient way possible.
3. Our hardworking employees are continuously dedicated to improving our products and level of service, and strive to meet your expectations every single day. We recently hired two new customer service agents to assist with your immediate needs!
We know you have other options for tires, but we believe our tires are the best value you will find (and the most environmentally friendly). We appreciate your patience with us during the transition and we are ready to serve you!
Looking Forward,
Anthony Showen
CEO - TreadWright

July 7 · Edited

Valued Customers,

I want to share our philosophy on customer feedback here on Facebook. At TreadWright, we believe that we need to hear all customer feedback. We encourage our customers to challenge our products and policies to ensure we make the right changes. Our recent customer service improvements were all due to your feedback. Many companies have dedicated teams that block “negative” communication. We do not. We do ask that you keep your communication clean, honest and concise.

We also love hearing what we are doing right, suggestions and looking at the pictures and videos you share with us!

I personally write these posts and read all of your comments. I have made contact with about 50 customers over the past two weeks and these interactions are shaping the future of TreadWright. These changes can’t all take place instantly, but I can assure you that your customer experience is my top priority. I can’t personally reach out to every customer or I won’t be able to get through the rest of my job responsibilities. However; I want you all to know your support, opinions, ideas and thoughts all matter.

Anthony Showen
CEO - TreadWright Tires

bob91yj

Resident **************
Considering where you intend to go, I wouldn't cut corners on my tires. If nothing else, get 4 new tires (of your choice) and get a couple of the Treadwrights for spares. Just one man's opinion.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I agree with the above. Treadwrights are for around town beater trail rigs. I would never set out on a 5000 mile journey through the wilderness with any set of retreads.

This is not just conjecture - the glaring shortcoming of retreads is that the quality/durability of the whole tire is subject to the donor tire that was retreaded. It might have a decent looking mud terrain tread and it might have good traction... but it might be built on a 2-ply sidewall junk tire carcass. And you have no way of knowing.

Not worth the risk. A proper adventure demands proper tires.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I heard too many horror stories about the tread coming unbonded from the carcass and causing carnage to get a set. My vote is for new tires.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I have put 20,000 miles on a set of 315/70R17 Guard Dogs (on BFG A/T carcasses) under my Jeep and I couldn't be happier with them. Not only is my Jeep a daily driver, but it's taken me on many long trips, several of which have been towing an offroad camp trailer. I crawled and hauled across 300 miles of Death Valley's backcountry roads with no more than 15psi of air in them, and I've had them as low as 4psi while snow-wheeling. They've been up and down the trails of the Sierra Nevada (including the Rubicon Trail), they've been all over Nevada, they've been to Johnson Valley, Prairie City, and Hollister. They've led a hard life, but have never let me down.

Remember, if people have a tire failure with a regular tire, it's because they hit a sharp stick or root or rock, or they ran it down the highway with too little pressure and overheated it. But if people have a tire failure with a retread, they automatically blame the fact that it's a retread, rather than blaming the root cause of the failure.

Any tire can fail, but my experience shows that they are a very high-quality product. My only criticism of these tires is that they are noisier than a comparably aggressive tire because they do not have a computer-generated noise-canceling variable tread pitch. As far as performance and reliability, I would put them up against any other tire on the market - they have never failed to impress me and everyone who's seen them work on the trail. I would have absolutely no hesitation choosing them for a trip to Alaska. If you're still concerned about their reliability, at only $169-$179 apiece you can afford to bring an extra spare with you.

But I doubt you'll need it.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
All those big hunks of tire you see on the road when you drive down the freeway? Those are retreads. Avoid them. The $10 dollars a tire you save buying retreads won't cover your next tow.

nucktaco

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. I know about retreads from semis on the highway. These tires also seems to be made differently than your typical semi retread. It's not 10 bucks a tire though. At 159 a tire for the 35" guard dog vs the 350-400 a tire for a comparable BFg or Goodyear (at least here in canada) it is a substantial amount of savings. Either way I've got a lot to think about in regards to my next set of tires. Thanks guys.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
OP just want to know if you are going that large of a tire on a Taco are you planning gears or any kind of axle upgrades? I be worried about something in that nature breaking on my adventure. Thats a lot of weight to add to stock axle.

nucktaco

Adventurer
OP just want to know if you are going that large of a tire on a Taco are you planning gears or any kind of axle upgrades? I be worried about something in that nature breaking on my adventure. Thats a lot of weight to add to stock axle.

Yeah haha I already wish I was regeared now with my 33"s and my current cvs (original) are blown so I'm gone be picking up a new set and getting the truck regeared too. Just looking into my options for both Aswell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior