Best 32 in tire for snow, ride, and MPG

Topgun514

Adventurer
Hey Nissan Forum,

I have recently purchased a 2014 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab, installed the OME LD 1.5 in. lift, and got my RTT mounted just the way I like, Next up, is worrying about tires for the winter as I cruise through the stockers for the summer and break the engine in. I want to upgrade to a 32 in. tire but am flummoxed by the decision.

Should I go with a 235/85/16, which will be better in the snow but the E rating on all this size will make the ride worse potentially. Also, The tire is heavier but will the MPG be less with less rolling resistance?
Compared to a 265/75/16, which is wider and arguably less safe on snow, but a C rated tire, making it ride better. Lighter, so better MPG, but wider, so worse MPG (I may need some discussion on this one...)

I will most likely go with the Duratrac as my tire of choice, and know that either size will be fine and strong for my desert driving I do in the summer, and all the in between offroad. But snow, MPG and ride comfort are my main concerns.

Could I have some help with this conversation fodder please?

Thank you

skibum315

Explorer
D is about perfect for our trucks if you base the decision on matching weight ratings, but they can sometimes be harder to find. Unless you're worried about sidewall durability due to sharp rocks or sticks, etc ... then E (or a particularly known-heavy-duty sidewall - like Toyo MT or Goodyear MT with Kevlar) may be better. I've seen two sidewall punctures on Duratracs, but generally find them to be a good all-around tire and would recommend them in that capacity.

Cooper ST-Maxx may be another one to consider. Fierce Attitude MTs have a similar look to Duratracs (more of an aggressive AT than a true MT) and are well reviewed here: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65885 ... for pure winter performance, though, nothing's going to touch a dedicated snow & ice tire (like a Hakkapeliitta or Blizzak or something with studs ... or something near the top of this list: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=LT). I've also heard really good things about the Firestone Destination AT.

stioc

Expedition Leader
When I got my snowflake rated 235/85/16 BFG AT KOs they were listed as being lighter than the 265/75/16 C load BFG AT KOs.

Also, personally I didn't like my Duratracs and got rid of them after 4000 miles; too many sidewall slices from the desert/rocks but I hear the sidewalls may have been improved now. They were also louder but softer and seemed to have more grip.

Last edited:

theBostonianX

Adventurer
I vote Duratracs, awesome in snow, and rides smooth with little road noise.

I gave up counting MPGS after a TS, full armor, 33s, and a Gobi. But, it's not terrible.

32 s will be a good call to save some MPGS, but if you've got some lift and an RTT, just swipe your CC at the pump and go, ignorance is bliss....ha, good luck.

Longrange308

Adventurer
I went with a Cooper ST-MAXX in a 33" tire on my Xterra.. They were stellar in the snow this last winter up in the mountains. I never even had the need to air down, even through 30" of fresh powder.

These tires have also been excellent on the highway, with an average loss of only 2mpg over the stock Rugged Trails..

richard310

pew pew
... just swipe your CC at the pump and go, ignorance is bliss....ha, good luck.

Until the bill comes at the end of the month... THEN your pockets are going to hurt. :D

I've got 32" BFG AT KO's (M+S, Load Range E) and the sidewalls are plenty stiff. Maybe a tad too stiff as I keep the air down around 40-45psi for DD duties. Might even drop it down to 35psi since I feel everything on the road. Never aired down on the trails though and never felt the need to. It handles it just fine. Long tread life on the BFG's is a definite plus too. As far as snow is concerned, I have yet to drive through any type of snow with my rig, so no experience there.

Allof75

Pathfinder
I would suggest doing a search in the general modification forum. That said, I like the general grabber AT2, and the latest Cooper AT3s are rated extremely well by overland journal.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I would suggest doing a search in the general modification forum. That said, I like the general grabber AT2, and the latest Cooper AT3s are rated extremely well by overland journal.

^ This. I've run the AT2 and the AT3. Those are my go-to tires on everything now.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I am running Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx LT265/75R16 on my Xterra. They are a true 32" in diameter rather than the 31.6" typical of that size. They are "E" load rated with 3-ply sidewalls, yet are not overly stiff. I have zero complaints.

I realize that Goodyear Duratracs are the tire du jour, but one should note that the "C" rated Duratracs only have 2-ply sidewalls. They may share the same tread design as the E rated version but are a lesser tire. There are better choices.

fike

Adventurer
Michelin LTX MS2 is very good on snow and fuel economy... Durable tire too. It's not too sexy, but Michelins will never let you down.

saint urho

It seems you are looking for an All-season tire i.e. You will not swap tires with the seasons. What kind of snow do you encounter? The theory that a skinny tire is safer on snow than a wide tire is only accurate if the tire digs through to the road/terrain below(?) if you're on the snow, isn't the wider contact patch better?

The weight of the tire is mostly of concern during acceleration and deceleration...I wouldn't consider fuel economy gains as a reason for purchase, so weight is irrelevant. Reduced rolling resistance will improve economy on the highway however Your aerodynamics (brick) are the greatest effect on your fuel economy.

Ride comfort is totally subjective, I can't help you.

I'd really base my decision on performance in the traction department, and looks. I blame my poor fuel economy in winter on winter gas, rather than my fat, heavy, E load winters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz