New Truck Decision

chet6.7

Explorer
I like the Raptors but they are little above my price range and for the money I would rather have the capability of a 3/4ton. I don't plan on any extreme off-roading.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ford 6.7 diesel?

I think your are correct in looking for a 3/4 ton.
You may not need a diesel,but the exhaust brake is a useful tool when going down a grade.
Ford has been through several engines over the past years,I don't know if they have them sorted out yet.I would go to a Ford diesel site and see what the complaints are.
I rented a gas Ford V10 motorhome,I did like the tow/haul mode on that better than my Dodge diesel. The GM Duramax/Allison is a good combo.
If I was thinking gas,I would be leaning toward GM.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
The main reason ford has been through a couple diesels is because the falling out with international and then fords development of a in house motor. The 6.4 was the last motor from international and when the two split ford developed its own. Most will tell you that the 6.7 is the best diesel ford has had since the 7.3

chet6.7

Explorer
Search using Ford sues Navistar,there are a number of articles."Ford said it had spent $1 billion on repairs and recalls to fix problems with legacy 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engines"
"Since day one, Navistar/International has denied there was a problem with the engine. Even Ford gave up singing that tune after a few months. There have been nearly 100 service bulletins on the engine, 500 parts have been redesigned, two owner notifications, and a countless number of calls to Ford's Technical Hotline."

Then there was the 6.4,and now the 6.7.I really do hope that Ford got it right with the 6.7 as good products by the big 3 spur them all to make better products to be competitive,and that is good for the consumer.

nick325i

Adventurer
I test drove a very clean F250 with a 6.7. I'm leaning that direction for sure. I work in the commercial construction industry and I've talked with a few people I know that use 6.7's for work everything and they all had positive comments. Most are saying it's the best thing since the 7.3 or maybe better other than it being more complicated due to all the emissions.

If I can work out the deal I want I might be coming home with one today.

mattiep11

Adventurer
I have a 2012 chevy 3500 gasser 373 gears.. works great and it was $27k brand new (with the topper and bed rug) gets great mpgs for the big truck and its not a pain to drive. I off road with mine around the telluride region and moab with no issues.. we just drove 25 miles of washboard @ 30-40 mph's with no issues...in and out from our mcfee reservoir camp spot. try that in a solid axel and u will rattle your teeth out. Pass on all the extras and you will have 10k to spend on goodies for the rig!! See my pics...

Last edited:

screwball48

Explorer
Dont forget about the new cummins nissan titan and toyota tundra that are slated for release in the next few years if you are not in a tremendous hurry.

nick325i

Adventurer
Well I went with the F250 with the 6.7. The power of the diesel is little overkill but it never hurts to have a little extra power. It's got a nice grille guard and a spray-in bed liner. I'm not planning on doing much to other than some Weathertech Floor mats and some sort of adding some sort of lockable storage in the bed.

I'm planning on keeping my Range Rover Classic as well for my trail/camping rig.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Last edited:

drifter_r6

Observer
Congrats on a good choice. You will be happy with your decision when hauling that much weight up a mountain and passing everyone on the way up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior