New Truck Decision

nick325i

Adventurer
I know there have been a few threads similar to this one but I still wanted to throw my question out there to get some different perspectives.

I currently have a 12' Land Rover LR4 and I really like it. However, I find myself needing/missing a truck very often. I have also picked up a Range Rover Classic to build into an expo/trail rig.

I am looking into a new Ram 2500 with the gas 6.4 (or maybe Cummins if the price is right), Chevy 2500HD with gas 6.0 or Tundra with the 5.7. They will all be crew-cab and 4WD. I'm not opposed to a Ford but I have had limited exposure to the new 6.2 gas in the F250.

My main requirement is that I need to be able to tow 8,000 lbs (give or take) a long distance. I know this is within a lot of half-tons limits on paper but I've had mixed experiences with several half-ton chevy with a 5.3. I even put 4.56 gears in one and it still didn't tow that well.

I would love to hear different opinions and especially first-hand experiences towing with the Tundra.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I had a 2004 Nissan Titan and loved that truck. It was a crew cab and that took the payload down to 1,300 lbs. It was a true 1/2 ton. I know have a Chevy 3500 HD mainly because we got a FWC Grandby pop-up camper. Personally I'd never go back to a 1/2 ton truck. The payload of a Chevy 2500 HD CCSB is about 2,900 lbs. I chose the diesel mainly because it's always operating at its best torque range. Others with the Chevy gaser have comparable gas mileage, but I'm pretty sure the diesel doesn't work as hard as theirs towing and hauling.

nick325i

Adventurer
I would love a duramax but I would definitely have the go used, which isn't a bad option although it's tough to find nice diesel trucks down here that don't have a lot of miles. Most people seem to use them up.

Also, I guess I should have put that I'm trying to stay around the $40k mark or below.

nucktaco

Adventurer
Don't really have any experience towing 8000lbs but my dad has an 07 tundra and has put just over 300k on it. Crewmax limited 4x4 with the 5.7. Never had an issue other than a leaky water pump a few months ago. It tows our boat (mastercraft xstar) through the mountains with no issues whatsoever and you can easily do 140+ km/hr uphill while towing. We used it once to haul a 32 foot enclosed car hauler to Vegas with a vehicle and full gear inside and I believe my dads buddy towed the same trailer to Detroit a few years back with zero issues and it always had great power.

Only downfall is the 5 foot bed if you go with the crewmax. We have still put 1 ton of gravel in the bed quite a few times with no issues. I'm sure we were over weight limit a few times and over payload but never once did it falter.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
My vote would be for the Tundra. I admit to being partial to Toyota's.
The 5.7 is a great motor and toyota makes great trucks.
With that being said you have to ask how often will you be towing that eight thousand pounds? one a year? once a month ? once a week?

I ask because if I was towing constantly I would most likely go for a dodge with the cummins. With that being said I know that a knitted out CC ram 3500 with the CTD and options is pushing north of 60K Not sure what the 2500 is going for or what sorts of fancy options you have to have. I know you can also easily sink 50k into a Tundra.

I also know more then one person that has more then 200k on their tundra but with that being said these days the standard of technology seemes to have evened out across the brands and if you take care of it almost anything will hit 200k these days.
cheers

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
If you are towing that much weight get a diesel. Get a ford or a dodge. easier and cheaper to lift then a Chevy. Both are built a lot more heavy duty then the chevy.

I have an F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4. I can out tow my father inlaws GMC 2500 with the 6.0 Gas. I towed his 9000 lbs camper like it wasn't even back there with the cruise control on. And that was going up mountians in Wyoming.

I paid $14K for mine with 172K miles in great shape in Utah.

10502339_10152216538995028_2050103596878232987_n.jpg

And the suspension even flexes a little off road

10462713_10152228724740028_8198226730923446494_n.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You are going to tow 8000 lbs long distances on a regular basis? Don't even think about a half ton. It will NOT be safe despite what somebodies uncles neighbours cousin once did. As said above, get a 3/4 or one ton preferably a diesel. I'm partial to Dodge, but Fords are good too.

nick325i

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys.

For argument sake, I'll be towing about once a month, give or take. With my Silverado, I would tow my project C-10, maybe 4000 lbs plus 2000 lbs or so of trailer weight. My LR4 actually towed it a lot better. Now I'm planning on towing the RRC which is heavier than my old truck.

I'm leaning towards the Dodge Cummins. I've found several new or almost new in my price range, although they are at the top. I also like that you can still get a 6-speed manual. I've also found a few lightly used F250's with the 6.7 that I want to look into.

The tundra does interest me. Everyone I know that has one loves it but I don't know if I'll regret paying almost the same for a tundra as a cummins. I'm definitely going to look at a few though.

I've had a tendency in the past to rush into car buying decisions so I'm trying to take my time on this one.

155mm

Adventurer
If you're towing once a month, you probably don't need the diesel. The new gas engines in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are pretty powerful. Sure the new diesels are 800+ ft/lbs of torque, but all the new gas engines already pull as well as the older generations of diesels anyway. It won't really make economic sense unless you pull all the time, or you just really want a diesel.

Either way, shop around and take your time. The car/truck market is pretty big and these days it's not limited to just your area. When I bought my half ton this year, it was cheaper for me to buy two plane tickets (for me and my wife) and the gas to drive it 400 miles home. Still saved $2,000 over what people wanted around here... :Wow1: Plus, by taking your time, it will eliminate any buyers regret. I've made a few REALLY stupid purchases in my life, but I took my time with this one and don't regret it a bit!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd get a Ford F350 with a gas 6.2L. 4.30 or 4.56 gears. Long bed. Manual hubs and transfer case if you can find 'em. XLT is fine. Don't waste $$$ on the Lariats, Platinum, or King Chump editions.

Dodge dealers in my area are giving away the 1-2 year old brand new Dodge diesels sitting on their lots. I think an aquaintence of mine bought one brand new for $37K! So you can get a real sweet deal on Dodges. Did they make too many?

Generally, I don't recommend diesels for your application.

With air bags on the rear suspension, I'll tow up to 5,000 pounds only, with a Tundra or Ford F150. Keeping a margin of error available for cargo and camp gear. (a 5000 lb. trailer often ends up being a 6500 pound trailer) 8,000 is too much. It'll work, but it stinks, and won't be as nice as a real truck.

Last edited:

nick325i

Adventurer
It seems to vary a lot by area. Most of the dealers down here don't seem to have a lot of inventory. Probably because of all the oil field work near here but in north Texas there seem to be a lot more.

I stopped by a dealer today. They only had one 6.4 and just a few cummins but a ton of 1500's.

Last edited:

nick325i

Adventurer
I like the Raptors but they are little above my price range and for the money I would rather have the capability of a 3/4ton. I don't plan on any extreme off-roading.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ford 6.7 diesel?

f250 diesel

I just sold a 2011 6.7 diesel. I had a hallmark pop up camper on it and also used it to haul livestock trailers in the 6500 to 8500 lb range. No issues even in the mountains , plenty of power. Never struggled up steep grades and no problems going down steep grades. I got 15-16 mpg with pop up and 12-13 hauling 8500 lbs. I sold it because I sold all of my big toys and no longer needed it. As a former owner of four different 7.3 ford diesels, I actually like the 6.7 better, quiet and tons of power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles