Looking for a 600 watt charge controller

hitek79

Explorer
I'm building a roof rack that will give me space for 6 of the Renogy 100 watt panels. I'm looking for a charge controller for a set up this big. I have room to add another 2 panels later if needed, so I'd like something that I can use later on as well. Thanks for any input.

unseenone

Explorer
Morningstar Tristar MPPT-60

Normally charge controllers are measured in amps -- a very simple calculation will get you close 600w / 12v = 54amps. Running 24v panels 600 / 24 = 25 amps. It is not as accurate as it could be but close enough at this stage. That means that when output is less than perfect, which can be most of the time, you might only generate 10 amps w/24v panels, the upside is you can probably generate 1-2amps in the rain.

But there is more, you can run panels at 12, 24, or 48 volts, which means you can get closer to the rated output with more panels. I like the MS product, it would be worth reading the manual on that controller.

This is an American made product, and very well respected.

hitek79

Explorer
Wow, looks like that's a pricy little rig. I'll be running building a 12v system and feeding 645 ah of batteries. How protected from the weather does this controller need to be? I have a large box I'm putting my batteries in that has some airflow to it, but should be fairly protected from moisture.

jkam

nomadic man
I would not put the controller to near the batteries, one spark and you have problems.
It needs to be in a dry place, they are not water resistant at all.

Joe917

Explorer
Morningstar MPPT-60, You can run panel voltage up to 150volts, with 12,24 36 or48volt battery banks.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
The TS-MPPT-45 will run 600W @12V. Though you will be running at max rating during ideal sunlight conditions. The 45 is $100 less on average than the 60.

Last edited:

Kiomon

Adventurer
We have a couple of the TS-MPPT60's, the advantage beyond the power handling, is that they are networkable and you can easily log and see your real world production if you are at all curious, along with a ton of other information. Very helpful. May or may not be worth the $150 premium. And as stated by others, the controller needs to be inside, its not weather nor water resistant at all. Doesn't even attempt to be.

wuntenn

Adventurer
Can't add much about the techy stuff, but I just installed a Morningstar controller (only a small one) but am very impressed with the build quality and general functionality' it's good stuff.

unseenone

Explorer
The TS-MPPT-45 will run 600W @12V. Though you will be running at max rating during ideal sunlight conditions. The 45 is $100 less on average than the 60.

This wattage depends on what voltage panels you are running. You can run more, so you can maximize production, it depends on the configuration. Refer to the owners manual for further information.

<snip><snip>
attachment deleted to avoid confusion

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^

That's system battery voltage, not that of the panels. ;)

The MPPT-45 used in a 12V system is indeed limited to roughly 600W, limited by it's 45A current handling ability (the MPPT-60 can handle 800W).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles