which comes first the expedition or the vehicle?

wisedog

I'm sorry if these types of posts have been threaded to death, but i'm looking for advice for a self containing rig to explore with for about a year. The build threads, and resources on this site are fantastic, my vision is to build a poormans earthroamer. I'd like to stick to a 30K budget. Does anyone else have this issue?
I realize 30k will not get me anywhere near a 300k truck. I geuss my dream is a 4x4 platform that can handle light-moderate 4wd roads, is maneuverable, decent mpg, self sustaining for 2, and has an cab access to the camper.

Things im hoping you guys can give me some direction on:

• most reliable 3/4 ton/best platform?
  • What is required to never have to see a campground?
  • is creating a cab access to the camper too expensive/challenging?
  • what are the benefits and drawbacks of a pop-up?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
cab access to the camper is the point on which much money will hinge.
If you could give up that then your options are much more plentiful.
I for 2 people a van or truck camper is a great setup, again cost relates to that need for cab access to the camper

The best advice I can give is to buy used and trail setups on short trips to work out the bugs and what vehicle format works best.
By buying used you can always sell off what doesn't work.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If you're dead set on having cab access to the camper, you should consider an old moving van/truck that has access already built in and use that as your base. Even a box truck without the access already would be better, since it's much easier to add access with that then it would if you did a pickup-truck camper. Plus, you can do the interior layout however you want. If you have any handyman skills, it should be a simple matter to build whatever you need for the interior, especially if only two people are using it.

Other things you'll need for self sustaining include water tanks (50 gal minimum), generator with extra fuel tanks, refrigeration, extra battery bank for when you're stopped and can't run generator, maybe a camper heating and A/C system, as well as any other comforts you deem necessary. Oh, and a heavy power inverter if you want to run 120V appliances and gadgets.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Define "cab access to the camper".

2nd generation dodge 3/4 ton w/cummins & sliding rear window = $8500
Older FWC w/sliding front window = $7500
Repurposed inner tube to act as a weather seal between them = free @ local junk yard

Total = $16,000

Throw in $4,000 worth of tires & maintenance to the truck & camper, then run $10,000 worth of fuel through it over the next year.

The catch? Your access between truck & camper is a little hole & you have to climb over the seats (assuming you have an extended cab truck) once you get through that hole. The other catch? If you use a pop-up, you still have to go outside to lock/unlock the roof. Using a hard-side camper would eliminate that & would potentially reduce the cost as well since hard sides don't seem to retain their value as well as the aluminum framed pop-up truck campers.

kpredator

Adventurer
camper rig

hello wise dog

agree with lance on the cab access.limits your options ,choices greatly.
we don't miss having access to the cab.
as far as trucks,they will all work,dont beat yourself up trying to figure out the perfect rig.I buy whatever I can get the best deal on at the time.
I got a steal on a f150 ,put a used popup on it and its been fine.did add airbags though.probably put 50 to 60 k on it traveling.
we rough camp mostly and use a bucket and spicket for showers.once in awhile hitting a campground.
after having the popup,don't think we could do a hard side again.
your likely problems will be your tires,we use 2 spares.
bring a compressor and plugs.2 jerry cans of fuel sit along our camper.
good luck
kp

google alaska marine highway

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am building something similar. I wanted a diesel but settled on a gas engine because I got a great deal. Bargains are everywhere. Mine has new parts but Craigslist has saved me a ton of cash on some big items including my campers and the truck. Build Thread

wisedog

Guys thanks so much for the awesome and realistic feedback. Pappawheely love the truck that is a great looking set up, is the pop up as comfortable as your hard shell, and what are your plans with the uhaul shell?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The Uhaul shell will eventually be my permanent camper. The 4WC pop-up is great but I need more space. I have designed everything going into the new box to be minimalist and/or stow away to maximize the internal space. That is one thing I did not like about my hard side. Too much wasted space trying to make it look like a home inside. I am only interested in function.

wisedog

The Uhaul shell will eventually be my permanent camper. The 4WC pop-up is great but I need more space. I have designed everything going into the new box to be minimalist and/or stow away to maximize the internal space. That is one thing I did not like about my hard side. Too much wasted space trying to make it look like a home inside. I am only interested in function.
Can't wait to see how you design the box. What limiting factors will i face if If have a 3/4 or 1 ton with a 2-3k lb hardside camper, vs. a 1,500lb pop-up? One of the wifes criteria is shower, and toilet, and the pop-up does not accommodate for that very well. Also it does not look as "cozy" as a hardside, I don't need fancy, but we are planning on being in Alaska, & Canada in the late fall so ill need a space i can heat efficiently. Pop-ups seem inefficient for that type of weather, have you had any cold weather experience with yours?

98dango

Expedition Leader
What about a small RV with a 4x4 conversion. May not be as capable but it can go many places. My wife an I have plans for our f250 but both dream of a 4x4 ambulance or in town u haul truck. Not much bigger than my truck so should be just as good off road and can be had well under 30k.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Can't wait to see how you design the box. What limiting factors will i face if If have a 3/4 or 1 ton with a 2-3k lb hardside camper, vs. a 1,500lb pop-up? One of the wifes criteria is shower, and toilet, and the pop-up does not accommodate for that very well. Also it does not look as "cozy" as a hardside, I don't need fancy, but we are planning on being in Alaska, & Canada in the late fall so ill need a space i can heat efficiently. Pop-ups seem inefficient for that type of weather, have you had any cold weather experience with yours?

Cold weather is tough with a pop up. Even with the liners you can put around the fabric (on the inside), it's still a big tent.

As for space - yea, they're a bit cramped if you're stuck inside a lot. The best layout Ive seen (for my use) is the flat bed FWC models with the side door. Having the dinette at the rear would give one person a place to sit (read, work, what ever) that is out of the way of a second person who is cooking, showering, what ever in the front of the camper. The flat bed models also provide significantly more floor space - for obvious reasons.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4

It depends on the type of roads or trails you will be on. The more weight you carry the more you need to be concerned about the strength of your chassis and the load capacity of your springs and tires. Most of the big hard side campers are way heavier than they claim and when you stock them with water, clothes, gear, food, etc. you are at 4-5K. Thats a big load to take down a trail, your truck won't like it. My truck with stock springs and overloads was creaking and groaning with the caribou 11k on just driving on the pavement. In my opinion, a big heavy hardside needs a one ton dually to be safe. The pop-up is nothing, You can't even tell it's on there except for the drag going down the highway.

As far as cold weather in a pop-up, mine has the cold weather package and stays warmer than outside but can get cold when the temps drop. My bigger concern is wind. I keep the top down when the winds get strong and gusty. I've never had a problem but it makes me nervous.

Erik N

Adventurer
To the OP- the trips and experiences will last a lifetime of memories.

The vehicle, not so much. It will eventually be sold or scrapped.

Best vehicle I ever owned was a backpack. Lasted me a year thru Central America. Only paid for gas when hitching a ride.

Benefit is portability. Just grab-n-go off to the best local attraction, no strings attached.

superbuickguy

Explorer
I always think the vehicle is just an outlet. I started camping with a backpack like Erik in Europe - traveled all over the place. I found 4 wheeling while I was in college and then ran the range from trailers to campers to class A motorhome, now back to roof top tent. But I don't always take the RTT, sometimes I just take a tent, other times, just a sleeping bag or a hammock. Truth is I've loved all of it - I can speak to each type, but there's no way I could tell you "this is perfect for you." I can suggest - get a car with good mpg and a tent, then decide what you liked and don't like about it... read other people's adventures (and misadventures) for clues as to how to improve. If you're beyond going to the beach/car camping, get a Jeep or similar rig, the smaller the better. Unless you like keeping up with the Joneses (and really, nothing wrong with that if it floats your boat), then get a diesel pusher with slideouts and a Geo Tracker or CJ5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94