which comes first the expedition or the vehicle?

libarata

Expedition Leader
We used pop-up trailer campers in Northern Wisconsin winters all of the time. Some things that would carry over to a truck camper, is finding a location that has good coniferous wind cover, open access to the sunrise, and level. You may have to hunt for it, but those spots will save you quite a bit of trouble heating wise. Also, a 12v mattress heater is a must! You will also be forced to insulate your water lines if you have water in your system, and below freezing temps(bring extra lines as well).

As for your truck? Look for something in reasonable shape. Does not matter what make, or model. Just make sure you keep in mind if you will be going with a hard, or pop-up. F-150 sized and larger for sure.

To not see a campground? Lots of research, and knowledge of local camping laws. I can camp anywhere in the National Forest my house resides in, so long as I am 150ft from roads, and structures. A benefit of the pop-up, is that it is lower that a hardside, and you can scrape your way 150ft off of a road easier.

PoloTurbo

Observer
I searched everywhere for a 30-40k$ 4x4 camper with passtrough and it just doesn't exist new.
The only one thats close enough is a used tiger. Sportsmobile being too small.

Lots of poeple seem to not be concerned by a cab access but for us it's one of the first priority and looking forward to a company that could build one without paying big bucks. I guess you got too pay to play. Give me a modern 4x4 sunrader with a crawling suspension package lol.

dddonkey

Adventurer
What about trying to find one of those old Toyota 4x4 campers? They seem to be hard to find but have a great range, reliable, hard sides and have cab access. Good luck on your search!

98dango

Expedition Leader
The problem with a Toyota is lack of power. Now with your budget that is an easy fix. Also keep in mind a 2wd Toyota is a very easy conversion to 4wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94