Pop up camper off the truck

dizzyspots

Adventurer
So..All of our Baja camping requires us to drop the camper...so we can launch the boat. 1998 Starcraft camper..on an 04 Tundra

for camping off the truck, I know we need supports: I use the Reico-titans to load and unload...the choices for parking at the shore are four standard "screw-type" jacks with proper support for being on dirt OR fixed support like saw horses or the 3/4 plywood "crosses" posted on another thread? looking at ease of set up and portability..seems like the screw jacks might make it easier to level the camper...say one at each corner...supported by a 3/4 ply base (Note the camper has a 3/4 ply + stacked 2x4 riser permanently attached to clear the bedsides

1stDeuce

Explorer
I don't think support at the corners of the floor is quite what they had in mind when manufacturers want you to "support" the camper for off-truck use... I would be worried about the floor bowing in the middle more than near the ends... I have been in my camper without support, just sitting on the corner jacks. It's OK for me at about 160lbs, but if I was much heavier, I'd want some support in the middle of the floor, as I can feel it spring just a little. If you have four corner jacks, you might be able to run a 2x4 across the middle of the floor with two screw jacks. That would add some stability, and eliminate worry about the floor giving out. Screw Jacks would be far easier to level than any kind of saw horse...

Just curious, but why must you remove the camper to launch the boat? Worried about getting stuck, water level too deep, ???

Chris

cuttyy

TRAILER TONGUE EXTENSION

You could use a tongue extension if its a depth problem. North star has a video with 13 people in a TC650 total weight over 1900#s.On just its jacks

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Northstar is one of the campers that is designed for use while sitting on the jacks. Most campers are not designed for that kind of use. You'll probably want some extra floor support.

I agree--why remove the camper for boat-launching?

dizzyspots

Adventurer
My original question was "4 RV screw jacks (the ones that are 18" high NOT the factory Reico-Titans)) vs the plywood "X"'s

I want to use it off the truck because :
launching the boat without a real ramp(remember the Baja part)...
Using the Tundra to explore the area...without the camper on top...
Running errands while we are there...

Also: the camper has a "secondary", if you will 2x4 plus 3/4 ply subfloor to give it enough height to clear the cab and bedrails on the Tundra

Does this make it any clearer....? Seems like the screw jack would allow some leveling adjustment...but I like the stowable plywood x's

I do not remove Jayco Sportster when boondocking, but I did require a base to raise it to clear the cab and bedsides.

I made it out of pressure treated and marine ply, and then relieved it to shed some weight, as it it attached to the camper with some marine ply cleats. When my camper is off the truck, I support it on metal sawhorses fore and aft, and walking in it, feels firm enough.

photo.JPG

So if you firm up your riser/platform should be fine on saw horses. Metal folding ones pack up easy enough.

dizzyspots

Adventurer
Nice craftsmanship Malcolm...very nicely done...

mine is a simple 48 x 88 3/4" plywood slab w glued & screwed & stacked pair of 2x4's lengthwise at campers width...so jacks would be at the 2x4 x 3/4 plywood supported corners

How tall are your sawhorses?

My (temporary) metal working sawhorses were about 30", but could adjust a bit higher. Home Depot, Lowes, etc will have them. My truck bed with 35s and a mild lift puts the bed height at 39". So the next set of sawhorses will be about 40" to minimize jacking when loading. I also welded up 10" jack extensions to get the height I required to load. 40" might be a bit high if living in it off the truck tho.

Here is a picture of it on the metal adjustable sawhorses, before the platform was attached, 30-33". With a bit of preload on the jacks, it felt fine to be in. Not sure about the cabover though: you might want a support under it as well if camping it it off the truck, a simple "A" frame might suffice. Cheers.

photo2.JPG

brian90744

American Trekker
Type of Jacks ????

Are these the Jacks you mean? ...the choices for parking at the shore are four standard "screw-type" jacks with proper support. I guess the ones they use on mobile home would work.
If you have a picture of the type of jack you need.

Attachments

• jacks 1.jpg
    jacks 1.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 34

haven

Expedition Leader
I'd be concerned that your weight in the cab-over section might cause the camper to tilt up at the rear when supported on jacks or sawhorses. On the truck, of course, the camper is locked down so it can't tilt. Anyone have experience with this?

mkish

Adventurer
Wouldn't you notice if you were in the cabover and it tilted enough to be restrained by the tiedowns? Surely there would be a clunk. The center of gravity is the same whether it's in the bed of a truck or on jacks, right?

1stDeuce

Explorer
Unless you weigh about 1000lbs, the camper won't tip up. WAY too much weight behind the front edge of the camper. :)

I hadn't thought about the plywood X. In baja, that might work OK. The ply would probably sink into softer sand, but that would allow you to level it with the removal jacks and a little stomping as it settles. Once it's settled all the way, you're good to go! I'd still leave a little weight on the outriggers, as it can't hurt, but then your floor is supported. :) And easier to store than the screw jacks -- Just set the camper on them in the the truck bed! Perhaps this will be my new camper stand... One 4x8x5/8" or 3/4" sheet of plywood and it's done. Just have to level the gravel where it sits. Hmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles