hood flutter

moabian

Rugged Ridge Hood Latches. They are big and beefy and what should have been on the JK from the factory. When the wrangler body style was re-designed with a wider and flatter hood, Chrysler failed to re-design the obsolete hood latch mechanism. You shouldn't have to zip-tie your hood down. I had the Drake's on my TJ and they were a pain to latch...but they looked cool. The Rugged Ridge latches are FAR easier to fasten and definitely worth the $$.

Jurfie...wait until a semi passes you at 60 mph going the opposite direction. The JK hood will lift alarmingly. It can also get worse over time as the stock latches deteriorate. I have a friend with a 2014...one of his stock latches snapped completely.

Rugged Ridge next to stock:

attachment.jpg

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Even more trick looking solution is to install an AEV hood with the vents. Seems to have stopped or greatly reduced the lift on my friend's JK.

Just an aside from a recent experience - The downside to taking out the spring is that someone not familiar with actually latching a Jeep hood will drop it and walk away and not think to latch the latches... (IE a quick change oil place...) At least with the spring in place you'll see the hood bounce right away when you leave the parking lot and get out and latch it. FYI, the "safety" latch on an early '97 TJ is NOT strong enough to hold the hood down at 70mph. The latch rips through the hood, and then the hood becomes one with the windshield, causing a severe case of :Wow1:!!

Just something to think about.
made my friends JK

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I'm quite happy with the Rugged Ridge hood catches I installed on my Jeep.

original+and+xhd.JPG

RubiChris

Observer
The Mopar hood lock stops it and secures your engine compartment goodies from the less than honest. My understanding is they are required in Europe. The holes are there and all you need is a large rivet gun (and remove the grill) to do the install. It keys to your ignition key with the first use. Edit: The cost is about the same as the Rugged Ridge billet hood latches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior