Anyone know what type of bolt this is?

BrianTN

Adventurer
It's part of a tie down stud and I'm looking for one a lot longer to attach a tire to the tie down strip. Problem is I don't know how to search for it as I don't know what it's called.
IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

tarditi

Explorer
Not sure it's a plow bolt - they have sort of a stepped shoulder section like a carriage bolt.

http://www.nutsandbolts.com/bolts-c-31.html

I think it's a type of wheel stud, indexed so it can recess in a captive notch and not spin when the nut is loosened/tightened.

Frankly, if you can't find a replacement you have other options:
- Use a wheel stud and some JB Weld
- Get another bolt of desired length and thread and just use a spring washer and locnut to hold it in, unless the face has to tighten up flush against it.
- Tac-weld the bolt from the back..
- Use a carriage bolt - may need to grind/dremel out a recess for the shoulder of the bolt then.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Perhaps a wheel stud off of some type of farm implement or trailer due to its rough finish and lack of machined surface? As others have pointed out there are numerous ways to secure a wheel stud, it may be easier to get a couple of new ones? Good hunting and post the results please.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Just to clarify here it is in action:
IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4832.jpg

I flattened the head of a carriage bolt and it slides into the channel easily. I'll try to shape the square potion under the head to fit the piece that locks against the track. Thanks for trying to find a replacement.

1stDeuce

Explorer
If you need more and can't figure out where to get them from, you might try using a standard carriage bolt. You may need to flatten the dome on the head a little to get it to fit, but the square part should keep it from rotating.

I was in a Big R store yesterday and saw bolts that looked somewhat similar, and were called "elevator bolts". They still have the square of the carriage bolt, but with a flat round head instead of the dome. The head was fairly large diameter, so you'd have to grind opposite sides down to get them to fit in the track, but either one might be easy to make work.
Chris

BrianTN

Adventurer
I forgot to reply, but never could find anything exactly like it. So I took a carriage bolt of sufficient length and made it fit into the track. Ended up working out well. Thanks for the help.
Photo%20Jul%2022.jpeg

IMG_4940.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier