Utiility Trailer turned into Offroad Trailer

85badger

Mike
This whole trailer was created for a platform for an idea I had a long time ago, my HOT WATER BOX, it includes a 6 gal water heater, shower and sink. I needed something to mount it to so here we go!

I'm a CL fanatic, so I started looking for a trailer to suit my needs. I found what I thought would work, but needed some serious upgrading.
Here she is in all her glory.
5evajyhe.jpg

ma6uty2y.jpg

I pulled the side rails, rear wood piece and started mocking up the box to see where it fit the best and to see what it might look like with 315's.
uja3udep.jpg

ypa8ezev.jpg
ujemuja9.jpg

I knew the little tires and wheels weren't going to cut the mustard so off to redneck trailer I go. I wanted 6 lug Toyota so I ordered a 3500lbs axle to suit my dimensions, $225 with bolt kit.
syhusuhy.jpg

I called my uncle, he had a set of crusty LC wheels. I stripped them and repainted.
uhase4em.jpg

New axle mounted with LC wheels and cheap ***** CL tires!
ja7y4uzu.jpg

Now that it's at the height that I want, time for some metal.
adeguzyb.jpg

Let me be the first to say that...I'm no fabricator, I have an idea and I get it done after hours and hours of restless thought!
After hours of searching the interweb trying to find fenders to cover 315's, I found these monster's at etrailer.com for a reasonable price. I also ordered some drop legs that I'll need to extend.
The fenders are full coverage, so I had to trim them down.
bapu5uha.jpg

That's where I'm at at on this. I still need to figure out the tongue and max coupler, water tank mount, battery, propane tank, lights, wiring, tailgate, floor and front and side panels. So get ready for some questions!

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nice job, after getting to IH8MUD dot com and got the link, I had to fight ads on each pic, scrolling took forever to follow what you did, taking time to click off each ad seemed to help the scrolling. Why not post your build on this site and make it easier? A mod can help you with pics if that's an issue (LOL). My phone and camera can't talk to my notebook so I don't have pics either, I know that's downer as we all like pics.

That's a nice heater/sink unit you have....I rarely look at CL, guess I should start.
The slots on the side of the frame, where the side boards fit in, seems would work for supports for side mounted storage cabinets. That might provides some extra storage space for the list of items you mentioned too.

85badger

Mike
I fixed it but had to drop a few pics....
I figured I'd retain the side slots for reasons that you mentioned. Seems like the smart thing to do, I can always remove them if they don't work out. My 21 gal tank should arrive today so I'll get that installed as soon as we get back from Colorado next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Sweet build! I like the sink/shower. I'm also an addicted Craigslister. Do you use a site for searching all of CL?

85badger

Mike
A couple of questions:

1. How long is a max coupler from one end to the bolt that attaches to the receiver?

2. Current tongue is 2"x 3" x 1/8", I want to use 2" x 2" x 3/16" with a receiver tube welded on to accept the Max coupler, will that be strong enough? Approx 48" long...

3. I need a tongue jack, from tongue to ground is +/- 27", who makes one that will work for this distance?

Thanks!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
My pin is 10" back to the coupler. I got a longer (don't know the travel) from Bass Pro, boat shops also carry them in a variety of sizes as well as the trailer shops. Are you going to frame in the front where your sink and P tank are?

05_TJ_2NV

I just installed my Max Coupler a few days ago but will be taking it out for adjustments ( adding a 6" extension ) and I get the measurements for ya. Pricey little bugger but seems very well made.

85badger

Mike
Finally back to work on this. I received my 21 gal tank. I decided I wanted it sunk into the floor above the axle, so I used 1 1/4" angle, created a bracket and started welding. There is roughly 2" clearance to the axle. The springs are very stiff...hoping my calculations are correct. I also cut out an existing angle and replaced with 2" tube forward and aft of the tank to give the frame and spring mounts more strength.
yne5uzus.jpg

neteny3e.jpg
u9asy3eb.jpg

After searching for ways to support my fenders, I decided to go this route. I wanted enough room to step up on or use as a mounting location for the propane or water tanks. This should work out fine.
u5udaqyb.jpg
uzemyqa9.jpg
guma6ute.jpg
4e7eduqe.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles