Hand operated food processor

mudbutt

Explorer
Not a bad idea... My wife has something similar at home, but uses a pull string like the old talking GI Joe... For camping I have a slap-chop... Cue Vince!

libarata

Expedition Leader
I suppose it would be handy, though a good knife should do the same with less space. I am not sure how those slap chopper have developed, but how do they compare to this?

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
This was pretty easy. It was basically filled to the top with peeled garlic cloves and I only had to pump it for about a minute before the garlic was nicely diced. That would have taken longer with a knife. The time consuming part was peeling the garlic.

shogun

Adventurer
Not a bad idea... My wife has something similar at home, but uses a pull string like the old talking GI Joe... For camping I have a slap-chop... Cue Vince!

Tupperware makes two sizes of choppers; called chop and prep, which use a pull string. When I saw one of these work it was a must-have. Two pulls and you have well chopped stuff, more pulls will get it down to mush. The small is great for camping. This is the best product I have bought for kitchen/meal prep.

I used to use a device that had a spring-loaded post on top that you push down and four blades inside a small chamber that move up and down. Junk. It makes a couple chops and then nothing moves, so you keep chopping the same place and the food has big lumps. You had to keep moving the device across a cutting board hoping to jumble the stuff around so it would get cut.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I suppose it would be handy, though a good knife should do the same with less space.

That was my thinking. One of the things I actually love about camping is that I can take the time to do a little hand work with the knife instead of rushing to get food on the table by a certain time. If I have such a large volume of stuff that needs processing, I may do it beforehand at home anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94