goTenna

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
"it adds a layer of complexity that is probably unnecessary and easily solved with a pair of cheap FRS radios..."

True this. You can buy a pair of 2 watt FRS radios at Radio Shack for $30.

The goTenna device does have the advantage of transmitting the GPS coordinates of the phone used to transmit, so the person receiving the information can see where you are on a map. That may be worth a premium to some people. For me, having the person on the other end of the walkie-talkie tell me where they are is enough.

Yeah, but that just means you are one of those old fogeys that talks instead of texts. :)

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
The gotenna has privacy too for those that care,1024 bit. Privacy can't be had with FRS radios. If gotenna supported image and file transfer that would make it killer.

robgendreau

Explorer
Yeah, and I wouldn't wanna try using it on MY motorcycle, even if I was the passenger.

Has anyone figured the licensing aspect? I would expect they're using one of those scientific or whatever they call 'em data bands.

I agree that a FRS or GMRS might be better. But frankly I think doing what these do (sending text and/or location info that can be viewed on a map) is something that would be great with a normal amateur HT. Some are getting there, but sheesh. I'd love a text/APRS interface to my HT from my phone, but I think right now it's spendy, although some newer HTs have some similar capabilities (I'm thinking of like the Yaesu FT1DR).

I can't quite figure out who's gonna use these. And I'm wondering why the GMRS/FRS radio makers don't integrate GPS and text into the radios they already sell. Rino does, but they are overpriced for just that function. I'm not sure what the FCC allows over GMRS though.

robgendreau

Explorer
I got a response from the GoTenna people when I argued an existing pair of GMRS/FRS radios would work as well, and thought I should include it in fairness:

oaklander Hi, Daniela from goTenna here. There are definitely other options for off-grid communication, but here is why we think goTenna is better than walkie-talkies:* Integrates with the smartphone you already have on you
* Texts allow for less miscommunication than real-time voice
* Delivery confirmation & automatic message retry
* Chat with specific individuals or groups, or anyone within range of you
* Don't worry about being on the same channel or having your conversation interrupted by others
* Share your location and points of interest on detailed offline maps
* End-to-end encryption for total privacy
* Small and light form factor

Moreover, the most comparable walkie-talkies to goTenna in terms of functionality are not the $50 type radios you're talking about, but more likely Garmin Rinos, all of which retail for $400-800 for a single unit.

jdlobb

Adventurer
I got a response from the GoTenna people when I argued an existing pair of GMRS/FRS radios would work as well, and thought I should include it in fairness:

oaklander Hi, Daniela from goTenna here. There are definitely other options for off-grid communication, but here is why we think goTenna is better than walkie-talkies:* Integrates with the smartphone you already have on you
* Texts allow for less miscommunication than real-time voice
* Delivery confirmation & automatic message retry
* Chat with specific individuals or groups, or anyone within range of you
* Don't worry about being on the same channel or having your conversation interrupted by others
* Share your location and points of interest on detailed offline maps
* End-to-end encryption for total privacy
* Small and light form factor

Moreover, the most comparable walkie-talkies to goTenna in terms of functionality are not the $50 type radios you're talking about, but more likely Garmin Rinos, all of which retail for $400-800 for a single unit.

so basically exactly what I would have expected.

It's an expensive gadget, and I don't think it will replace the walkie talkie, but it certainly has a place. I can see it being especially useful for people who typically venture into the wildness with groups of people, but that may not stay together all the time.

But really it's not excessively expensive. Even at the full retail price of $299 for a set, that's less than the price of an iPad. There are loads of gadgets that costs a lot more money, and are a lot less useful.

I can also see these being used by the tin-foil types to send disposable messages that can't be intercepted by big brother.

haven

Expedition Leader
".. just means you are one of those old fogeys that talks instead of texts. "

Yep. I expect that the ability to send texts to friends when you're out of cell tower range will mostly appeal to my grandchildren.

i missed the point about mapping your location. I thought this feature worked with Google maps or other commercially available map software. Turns out you have to use maps provided for free by goTenna. The FAQ page indicates they have maps for USA and some foreign countries. Sure would be nice to see the complete list of maps.

http://gotenna.com/pages/faqs

GoTenna also works with some music players, such as iPod, that run iOS or Android and have Bluetooth.

robgendreau

Explorer
Texts are still more useful than voice in some situations. I remember in a ham emergency services class all the training we did just to be able to relay messages by voice accurately and quickly. With a text that's done and done. And way more bandwidth efficiency.

I find it rather interesting that nobody has a device that works over say GMRS or FRS that does data. A brief search through FCC land didn't clear it up, but is it the case that you cannot transmit data over those frequencies per the FCC? So that something like the Rino must work for its APRS-type function over another frequency?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Texting as a means of communication actually might be better. All digital modes have a higher signal-to-noise ratio and texts can be brief and to the point. Voice/phone is actually the least spectrum efficient and often the least concise. The best DX for ham is Morse or the ECC modes like JT65, for example. Even RTTY is better than phone in terms of miles per watt, use of the spectrum and ability to distill the message from the noise.

There is nothing in the rules that prevents FRS messages appended with GPS data or text messages. I think it's mainly a matter of market and money. With everyone having smart phones and apps that let you check in or whatever there's probably just no demand. The rules do not allow you to connect a terminal to a FRS radio, so APRS and packet type operation is not allowed. So the radio manufacturer would have to include the functionality when it's certified by the FCC.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
The website currently says 4-6 miles in desert or open water areas, 0.5 - 1 mile in a city street to street. Those ranges seems realistic to me.

Accrete

Explorer
I pre-ordered a pair after stumbling upon the goTenna tech through another site. Here is my two bits:

For this HAM operator, happily married to a MacGirlver that won't even talk on our FRS radios unless she just found a retirement-sized gold nugget down at the river...

I think the goTenna will be a nice addition to our camp. Often my wife will head down to the river to gold prospect and will be 200 to 800 yards from camp at river's edge...while i'm up getting a meal prepared or hanging in a hammock reading. I too think their .5 city/ 1-2 mile mountains is reasonable since that is all i ever expect from my 2 meter handheld in the same environment on low power (350mw). My distance miracle purposely on low power was hitting the Astoria 2m repeater from the Mt. Saint Helens visitor center on a clear day ~60 miles as the crow flies.

Hey $150 for a pair of potentially fun gadgets that might make communication a bit easier around camp? I'll bite.

Cheers,
Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier