goTenna

Cabrito

I come in Peace
http://static.gotenna.com/

Interesting device. Up to 50 miles of communication (according to the website) using your smart phone/device using Bluetooth.

From their website:
Longer story: goTenna is a small, rugged device designed to make “No Service” no problem. Just pair your smartphone with a goTenna and communicate off-grid with those near you who also have goTenna, anywhere on the planet, regardless of access to cell reception or wi-fi. goTenna allows you to send and receive texts and share GPS locations on beautiful offline maps, without ever relying on central connectivity. Depend on it in all kinds of situations: when hiking in remote areas, traveling abroad, attending music or sporting events or during an emergency. Plus, because goTenna is end-to-end encrypted, it's not just for when you're off-grid, but when you want to be.

Sounds like it could be handy on some of my motorcycle rides, but beyond that I'm not sure.

http://vimeo.com/100711244

Discuss..

Frdmskr

Adventurer
The challenge is the latency and time-outs for packets. When a device communicates over RF it sends information out in batches. An acknowledgement of receipt or a query about a corrupt packet is the reply the message originator gets. Well, it it takes to long to hear back from the recipient then the transmitter resends the data packet assuming all was lost. This was an issue in early attempts at Wifi using microwave ham band channels. We could run better antennas and power but the protocol did not like the long lags. Some of this has been addressed through new protocols and mesh networks.

Now with Bluetooth the same principles would apply. The question is, if you are 50 miles away are you able to overcome the inherent issues with lag. Remember, though it seems instantaneous it does take time to get that data somewhere. The formula for the protocol lays out how long it will wait and what kind of fudge factor there is either side of that time frame. I'd be interested in seeing folks play with this and putting up some real world results.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I know a little about this gadget. It's using VHF for the RF link, 151-154 MHz band. It's not yet approved by the FCC. You link to the device via Bluetooth, so essentially whatever you can do over that you can do between GoTennas. It's not using the cell system so it's not a substitute for the phone's radio, more like a WiFi connection I guess. I don't have a smartphone so I can't say what can and can't be done via Bluetooth to be honest.

My understanding is there is a dedicated app that you have to use which has the texting and whatever, so the things you can do are driven by that I suspect. I don't know that it's an IP device, although maybe it's similar to the HSMM-Mesh stuff some hams mess with.

The range they quote is an idealized perfect connection. If you're a ham you know what is possible with VHF so you can infer that line of sight with low power transmitters (they have a 2W radio) and poor antennas probably means they are greatly overstating things. Much like they say FRS radios have 20 mile range. Well, yes, on a test range they can in theory but in the real world a mile or two is real.

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The range they quote is an idealized perfect connection. If you're a ham you know what is possible with VHF so you can infer that line of sight with low power transmitters and poor antennas probably means they are greatly overstating things. Much like they say FRS radios have 20 mile range. Well, yes, on a test range they can in theory but in the real world a mile or two is real.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

DaveInDenver

I do think it's an interesting idea, although I don't think it really adds any value to someone who has a 2-way radio. But if you just have a phone it might be handy. Problem is it adds a layer of complexity that is probably unnecessary and easily solved with a pair of cheap FRS radios that wouldn't drain your phone battery. With a ham handheld you could raise repeaters, which is infinitely better than an isolated net of any kind and I know first hand that there are very few places around Colorado that it takes little more than a few mile hike to high ground to get a repeater someplace.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
What was initially appealing to me was for Motorcycle travel use. On the bike I want less gadgets so the fact that it interfaces with a device I'm already carrying would be cool. We ride with headsets that not only have phone and ipod capability they are also intercoms over Bluetooth and have great range. The goTenna would be an accessory for greater distance comms, but I'm not sure they would be any better than what we're already using.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It definitely has potential. I would think of it as a texting version of an FRS radio...

gary in ohio

Explorer
Looks more like snake oil to me.... 50 miles on ANY handheld device is going to be next to impossible unit to unit. The Horizon is approx 3 miles away. two 6ft tall people can see eye at 6 miles. SO line of sight is 6 miles. After that line of site is above the viewer. The radios say they are 2 watts and are smaller than a phone where you getting the power for a 2 watt signal plus bluetooth power needs plus device power needs.

Not adding up...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Looks more like snake oil to me.... 50 miles on ANY handheld device is going to be next to impossible unit to unit. The Horizon is approx 3 miles away. two 6ft tall people can see eye at 6 miles. SO line of sight is 6 miles. After that line of site is above the viewer. The radios say they are 2 watts and are smaller than a phone where you getting the power for a 2 watt signal plus bluetooth power needs plus device power needs.

Not adding up...

Oh I don't doubt that their claims of range are optimistic - but I could see them coming up with a device that had a range of a couple of miles which would be all you would need in most situations. I'm also not sure that the power / battery would be quite as big an issue as you think. The text datastream would be orders of magnitude lower than voice comms so could be done cheaply / low power.

If you are part of the texting generation then this could be a good alternative to FRS.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I saw this, and am seriously considering it. Not for camping/off-road (got a couple $50 baofungs for that) but more as an emergency backup. Most of my friends live within 5-10 miles of me, in a catastrophe I throw this on the roof of the house and have solid communications. It would also work fine in places like a football game or large outdoor concert where cell service can be spotty due to bandwidth, but it's with range of the transmitter. If you recognize it's limitations and understand the risks of funding things like this (I've funded a bunch of kickstarter projects) it's probably worth the gamble

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

troyboy162

Adventurer
glad you guys posted about this. I couldn't understand what it was from the advertisements and thought it was a satcom unit for your phone. It sounds like a nifty solution looking for a problem.

DaveInDenver

sounds like nothing more than a bluetooth connected tnc/radio. kinda pricy if thats all it is.. Still sounds like snake oil.
I don't think it's quite all that insofar as it's not a general radio that can be made to do a number of things. A real TNC/radio would allow voice or packet and would be nifty. That solution exists (a number of TNCs now offer Bluetooth serial ports, I picked up the one Byon sells for the Tinytrak) but would require a ham ticket to use and you'd have to add your own radio.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
This would be a fun piece of technology to play with. Love the concept. I don't think you can do anything BT with them, their product literature mentions sharing location and sending text messages only through their app. The ability to send a picture would be great too.

haven

Expedition Leader
"it adds a layer of complexity that is probably unnecessary and easily solved with a pair of cheap FRS radios..."

True this. You can buy a pair of 2 watt FRS radios at Radio Shack for $30.

The goTenna device does have the advantage of transmitting the GPS coordinates of the phone used to transmit, so the person receiving the information can see where you are on a map. That may be worth a premium to some people. For me, having the person on the other end of the walkie-talkie tell me where they are is enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier