The Best Camera For Overlanding

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
never seen it mounted with a hood :) YUP that one hahahaahha

Yeah with the CPL on it you really can't tell what lens it is :)

Any pelican cases you guys recommend w/ foam for a Nikon 5200?

Really depends what you want to accompany the 5200, doesn't it? Here's the 1450 for perspective with an FX body, DX body, wide angle zoom, flash, and accessories for a basic real estate kit. I much prefer the adjustable velcro dividers to the pluck 'n foam option myself.

20130326-IMG_6403-L.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
not sure what other gear you have ?
but get your gear together and put it in a box from the corner out and use some other cardboard to kinda pad space it a bit and see what you can do then measure about the size and height and then look at the cases and decide from there :)

hate pluck foam avoid it get dividers :)

also a nice shoulder bag or sling or backpack can be handy depending on what you are doing ? then use a pelican to protect that bag
pelicans are heavy but protective ? again not sure what you are aiming at :)

I use pelicans when I work in events so I can padlock them to banquet tables ;)
but used soft bags for my other work and try to use soft when I go into peoples homes
I used to be a commercial advertising and high end architecture and use a SUV load of pelican and flight cases but they are a pain to work with
for camping I use a soft think tank bag most the time or a small storm case for my M4/3 gear and some other electronics
the idea of a small soft case though is handy you can have say a pelican that is twice the size and also holds some other items you want to lock up and them put that soft camera case inside but when you want to go on a hike etc... you have the soft with you
I use a good lock and lock it to the frame of the seats and make it really hard to get to the cable but my hand can fit in to get to the key
never had gear ripped from me yet

Any pelican cases you guys recommend w/ foam for a Nikon 5200?

cnutco

Adventurer
not sure what other gear you have ?
but get your gear together and put it in a box from the corner out and use some other cardboard to kinda pad space it a bit and see what you can do then measure about the size and height and then look at the cases and decide from there :)

hate pluck foam avoid it get dividers :)

also a nice shoulder bag or sling or backpack can be handy depending on what you are doing ? then use a pelican to protect that bag
pelicans are heavy but protective ? again not sure what you are aiming at :)

I use pelicans when I work in events so I can padlock them to banquet tables ;)
but used soft bags for my other work and try to use soft when I go into peoples homes
I used to be a commercial advertising and high end architecture and use a SUV load of pelican and flight cases but they are a pain to work with
for camping I use a soft think tank bag most the time or a small storm case for my M4/3 gear and some other electronics
the idea of a small soft case though is handy you can have say a pelican that is twice the size and also holds some other items you want to lock up and them put that soft camera case inside but when you want to go on a hike etc... you have the soft with you
I use a good lock and lock it to the frame of the seats and make it really hard to get to the cable but my hand can fit in to get to the key
never had gear ripped from me yet

Great suggestion there! Also, there are thousands of pics on Google to compare "like" gear.

I use a Pelican 1564 (foam dividers) and a Pelican 1654 (foam dividers) as seen below.

IMG_5148.jpg

I beat the hell out these Pelicans!

IMG_5174.jpg
IMG_3791.JPG

Honu

lost on the mainland
COOL fun to see other gear :)

kinda like what I end up with in my rig when going to a shoot hahahahah
my old stand bag needs some sewing ;) my C stand does not fit in a bag of course ? but love that thing I only have one but IMHO a must have to have one
have 4 of the bogey stackers they are the old ones with the rubber ring to hold them together the newer style looks nicer :) a few other bogey stands for various stuff always had good luck with them and one of the original kwik stands that I never liked cause it was built poor need to repine the top lug ? its loose cool idea but not very stable but maybe for a single speed light with no modifier its OK but seems when I worked on the go I always used some modifier on and the stand could not cut it ?
otherwise always just wall bounce my lights on camera :)
I used to use photoflex modifiers for arch I liked those square lantern style ones ? where its like a open square soft box and you can take off the side panels and have this light all around ! was nice boom it up you get this nice even soft light every where ! those things were built so well used them about 2-3 times a week for years and never had stitching come loose or anything !!!!

for me I use a 1620 divider in a 1650 box which gives me room for my think tank sling bag to fit next to it :) one day was looking at my cases and going HMMMMM and it works :) ahhaahah a 1550 for small wedding gigs

I have 2 photogenic 2500 and 2 of the 1250 whatever the electronic models ? DR ? forgot but I am going to sell never use them anymore those are in a silver flight style case
switched to the cheetah 360 units and one adapter for my elinchrom modifiers but I might MIGHT change my deep octal to a bowens and get the new cheetah 600 light
but otherwise use shaft mount modifiers now my fav for families is the 60 soft lighter HUGE but love the thing and the cheetah works awesome with that

I have to sell my multimax now they are discontinued guess they are wanted by the sports guys :) my triggers are Pocket wizards are retired) and used phottix stratoII great manual triggers and cheap with 4 channels but now liking the remote power and having good luck with the cheetah units

but this goes to size of pack I enjoy having the smaller stuff and really working on cutting things down in size and bulk as I can

I take it that is your backdrop in the tube ? what kinda stuff were ya shooting ?

for fun :) what kinda boom stand is that ? I have been wondering about getting one of those multi boom stands ? it looks like one with that arch I can just barely see :) and how do you like it since dumping my large photogenic the cheetah I could boom out on a lighter setup I figure pretty easy as it is now I again have a C stand and arm that works awesome but as you know they are HEAVY

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Oh, for anyone on a budget, try seahorse cases. They are 90 percent as good at pelican, I ran them on my KLR as hard cases and ran one over with my F150 to test it out. was still water tight after the run over and it has no ill effects. I paid 56.00 each instead of 180.00 for the pelican version 1550.

I bought a few cases for my environmental testing equipement, but I am selling that equipment but I am keeping my cases!. they will come in handy.

Ripper

Adventurer
A little bit of an update. I ended up with a Canon Rebel T5. I scored the bundle from Target for $531 after tax. It came with the standard 18-55 lens, 75 to 300 lens and a 8GB card. i have already bought a few things for it. I picked up a battery grip, wireless shutter release, hoods for the lenses, a polorazing filter, tripod, and a Lowepro hiking/camera daypack. All I really need to get now is a decent flash. Let me tell you B&H has been great at taking my money lately.... Need to cut the ******** and put money away for the truck and my hopeful trip out west this summer.

Ive been spending some time learning how to use it. Only setting I have learned so far is the manual setting. Need to spend a little more time and learn some of the other settings.

UpperLeft86

All I really need to get now is a decent flash.

Ive been spending some time learning how to use it. Only setting I have learned so far is the manual setting. Need to spend a little more time and learn some of the other settings.

IMO, grab one of the Yongnuo speedlights. They're every bit as good as the Canon speedlights, for a lot less money, especially if you don't need ETTL (even if you do, the Yongnuo's are great.) I have so many Canon and Nikon speedlights, and wish I'd discovered the Yongnuo's sooner. I'm picking up some of their wireless models pretty soon here.

And keep on it with the manual setting. It's all you need. :)

cnutco

Adventurer
Holy crap, where does your gear go? Or is this a photo day trip?

Sorry, I just saw this quote. That was two different days. One was a promotional shot for a new 4wheeler tire and the other was an event with multiple setups. I do on location shoots from portraits to weddings and even some off-road wheeling, so I need to put my gear in something I trust. Pelican just works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junglecaptn

Concerning future overland trips I have a question. In 2010 I did the Great Loop solo in a tri-pontoon boat, 5200 miles. I sent my pics to my wife who then posted on my blogsite along with my narrative. I am using a Sam S5 now and it takes good photos. What is the best way to post pics to a blog nowadays? I plan on doing the TAT this summer and want to be as efficient as possible so as not to spend all evenings trying to update my posts. What have you found to be the best method for this? Are there small cameras that will post directly to a website or should I just stick with my S5? A camera would have to have wifi I presume or download to a laptop/tablet device. I will be traveling with a iPad Air II also.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you want a great device for that, the Nokia 1020 would fill the bill great. It has the best camera in a smartphone, available battery/camera grip to make it into an awesome point and shoot and you can load directly from it. We love ours!

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have a Panasonic Lumix GH3 and 7-14, 12-35, and 100-300 lenses I used when traveling light. I have been pleased with the image quality from the micro 4/3 sensor and it makes a nice compact kit when I don't want to carry my full frame cameras and lenses.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I'd say the best camera for Overlanding is the one you can take with you. That being said I would choose one a full frame camera with video capability from either Nikon or Canon, a good multi purpose lense (because simplicity is king) and a go pro. I currently shoot with an old Nikon D3100 but am hoping to upgrade sooner than later.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I just picked up a Sony a6000. I'm a beginning photographer so i think for the price and the quality based on the reviews i've read, i hope i made a good choice. Should be here in the next day or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles