Ambulance RVs

seeNik48

Adventurer
We have been researching these for our explorations of the west. Our current set up has us feeling crowded with us and 2 large dogs. We are photographers and sometimes it is a hassle unloading gear stowed under a large poodle. It would be so easy and safer to stow photographic gear in an outside compartment like those in an ambulance

We just missed the one on Carson City CL (very sharp unit). I liked, no, really liked the Meg Ambo. Just didn't realize how cool they were when that one was for sale.

So, do these come up for sale often? My guess is not really, at least not as fine as the two examples above. We would prefer one already converted and ready to go. Or, have someone do the work for us. There is a local shop that does this type of fabrication like for command centers and portable butchering among others. Probably more expensive than buying ready made.

I guess I will continue to check here and on eBay plus do a CL search using CL search engines. I just really like how well throb are constructed and the Euro metal look with no phony vinyl covered wood (UGH).

Anybody have some input about traveling in one? Or any feedback on your own search? Thanks.

AMBOT

Adventurer
They do not come up for sale often. The Carson city ambo is the second one in the last year I've seen that was ready to go and professionally done, megambo being the other, both done by hd-rv / ujor. This is where my ambo is being converted. Break out the checkbook and have fun with the build! 80k will get you pretty close, but plan on more like 100k fully outfitted for weeks on end off the grid. The forum here is the best place for consolidated sales as ppl are pretty good about sharing their finds whether in the market or not. Also increasing the competition. I was happy that my ambo sold under the radar of expo, or else I may have paid more!

seeNik48

Adventurer
Photos? What fix you buy? How are you outfitting it, i.e., amenities and mods? Those were the only two I found, also. Fab units.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Let me add this to the mix of ideas. I bought a 4 x 4 truck and camper. Added a flatbed and storage boxes. When all said and done. Yes , I have $100,000.00 in the rig. If it exploded tomorrow. I would not go back the same way. I would buy a class c motor home for half that cost. I have had my rig 5 years. And not used it to a fraction of its limited capabilities. A 2 x 4 motor home would have done EVERYTHING that my rig has done. I spent 23years in the back of an ambulance. it gets little real quick. If you think you have to have 4 x 4 for that once in a lifetime winter trip to Alaska. Spend another $12 and get it made 4 x 4. Still cheaper then a truck and camper OR an old ambulance and remodeling needed for camping and living.

AMBOT

Adventurer
I totally agree that for economy and practicality that makes sense to get a factory RV. They are just incredibly boring!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The BC Auction here in Canada has just listed three BC ambulances. The 2001 has four days left on the listing and the 2004 & 2006 are newer listings. I recently picked up a 97 privately for a song on Vancouver Island. I find it handles and man overs much better than a larger vehicle... And has a lot more space than a raised top van. Space is limited, but so is the space on the road. Ours will be a mobile office and an overglorified tent.

Edit: missed 1, there are 4. 2001, 2001, 2004, 2006.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
BCauctions.ca

BC ambulances are worked hard, but well maintained. Mine has 15,000 hours on it, and still runs great.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Let me add this to the mix of ideas. I bought a 4 x 4 truck and camper. Added a flatbed and storage boxes. When all said and done. Yes , I have $100,000.00 in the rig. If it exploded tomorrow. I would not go back the same way. I would buy a class c motor home for half that cost. I have had my rig 5 years. And not used it to a fraction of its limited capabilities. A 2 x 4 motor home would have done EVERYTHING that my rig has done. I spent 23years in the back of an ambulance. it gets little real quick. If you think you have to have 4 x 4 for that once in a lifetime winter trip to Alaska. Spend another $12 and get it made 4 x 4. Still cheaper then a truck and camper OR an old ambulance and remodeling needed for camping and living.

loving my 1983 G3500 B+ fully loaded, aluminum subframe with fiberglass panels, 18-20mpg (6.2L) managed to climb 24% grade gravel road (locked dually) that I have seen 4x4 pickups spin out on...

Bought it, add some gauges, changed some fluids, LED the lights, tuned the generator (4000w propane built in) and camped/driven it...

AMBOT

Adventurer
I appreciate the standards to which the Amos are built. If you look at pics of a gutted ambo vs. a gutted rv the differences stand out (typical). The extra bracing and close spacing give me a more confidence if a crash or rollover are ever in my future.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
Agreed most ambulance built better, but there are a few really good RVs.... Plus if you want roll over standards school buses are built for that. I get the cool factor of the ambulance but Ford 7.3L school buses are easy to find and built to roll over standards since around 1980...

AMBOT

Adventurer
A school bus is certainly on the extreme end of the spectrum. That level of standard would be for survival of all the little kiddies (but no seat belts?). I'm more concerned of tipping it and not having it shatter, strong enough to be rightened and hopefully driven away.

seeNik48

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. We are really not interested in RVs like Class Cs as they are built with that phony wood vinyl that I absolutely hate. Also, too many bells and whistles like TVs, AC, ovens, microwaves, other stuff we don't want or need.

We like the simplicity of the ambos with SS cabinets and the interior/exterior storage. Like you pointed out, they are sturdier. We also like the pass through feature. The two offered for sale on ExPo were set up just perfect. Kudos to the builders. We would like to find a stripped down unit without gurneys, oxygen, the command center in the cab so we wouldn't have to tear it out and get rid of it.

While not unhappy with our current set up, we are realizing that to be gone for 4+ weeks like we are with 2 dogs, it would be nice to have more room and storage and not have to pop top and make bed nightly.

Just a dreamer, I guess, as we want to downsize our home and do more exploring. Currently, we are empty nesters with acreage and a bigger house than we need. Selling the home, buying something more manageable would free up the cash to buy our dream unit.

I am researching ambos for sale without mods and also studying several build threads on this forum. My husband can weld, plumb and wire but was never a professional. He does lay a nice bead. But, he injured his back so finds it hard to work in tight spaces. There are used 4x4 units for sale throughout this country. I think either the Type I (truck chassis) or III (van) would work. Our local FD is just a mile down the road and they are friendly folks. A visit to check out their unit would be enlightening.

More thought and research and discussion are needed on the home front. I will keep you posted. Meanwhile, happy trails.

Last edited:

onemanarmy

Explorer
Maybe some smaller dogs? Or no dogs at all? That's pretty cheap to accomplish. Having to work around an animal seems kinda silly.

seeNik48

Adventurer
Maybe some smaller dogs? Or no dogs at all? That's pretty cheap to accomplish. Having to work around an animal seems kinda silly.
Apparently, you don't have dogs. They are part of our family. We would never put them in a kennel for 4 plus weeks. Also, we like the sturdiness and the room and the walk through. Didn't I already explain that? Do you just get rid of your pets if they are an inconvenience? Sheesh!

AMBOT

Adventurer
We have a similar challenge with our two collies. We're going to give it a shot and take them on a trip to Texas (about 1000 miles) for a week at a friends ranch in December. We're going to try and full time it in the ambo as a test to see what works well and what doesn't and modify as necessary to accommodate all of us. House sitters are helpful for the dogs, but it would be better to have them with us. My box is a short one, about 8x12, but with use of all the external storage and raising the roof 1ft, I hope it to be a cozy New York bedroom. If you went with a f-450 you'll get about 20 more inches of length and a little more height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz