Buying a truck camper. Is there any benefit to buying new?

kentuckydiesel

My wife and I have been kicking the camper idea around for a while. We've determined that we want a truck camper so we can get into some backcountry and/or pull the boat when needed. Weight it *almost* a non-issue. Our '97 F350 will probably do the majority of the camper duty, and it rides much better with 1500lbs in the bed, however, I do want a pop-up to reduce drag and have better clearance.

Here's the big question:

Is there any reason to buy new, or newer? Condition being the same, were there any major leaps in truck camper technology that make a new unit better than a unit from 1990?

I am probably going to try to find a used one that needs work, and fix it up...just because I like to buy high quality things on the cheap...but if there are any reasons why a person might want a new one, what are they?

Thanks,
Phillip

Arclight

SAR guy
I think it depends on how specific your needs are and what the local used market is like. Since you have a heavy truck, you could accomodate lots of different campers. But if you want a lightweight option like a new 4WC, you may find yourself driving 1,500 miles or just buying new. I would research what will fit your needs and then hit your local Craigslist ads for guidance.

In my case, I wanted a very light rig for the T100. I looked for used Flippacs for 6 months, and only saw one that would fit come up. It was too rough, and the price wasn't "nearly free" so I just sucked it up and ordered a brand new one with the options I want.

Arclight

Hello and welcome!
IMHO - no significant advances. As a DIY person, I say go for used. This thread has some great advice:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/127971-Newby-Questions-On-Purchasing-a-2004-FWC-Hawk

Good luck!

rayct77

Observer
There have been some significant changes in FWC since the 90's, but they were still a solid camper back then so I definitely wouldn't hesitate in pulling the trigger on a good used one.

I personally bought new because there were some options I wanted like the radius door, Silver Spur package, etc. that weren't available back then. I am very happy so far and feel better knowing the depreciation is much less with FWC than most other RV's.

Going used is a good idea, especially if you are new to truck campers and not certain it will be what you want in the long run. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beamer pilot

Explorer
Basically, the same reasons that apply to a car or truck buy.
In my case, I went from mid heavy (Big Foot) to light (Northstar TC650) on a Dodge diesel 1 ton since I got tired of getting stuck on the Texas sand beaches.
I bought a new 2013 unit fully equipped for $12,000 Canadian. My favorite pop up unit was a Milner from Hallmark but they could not deliver by my deadline.
From my research a decent used late model privately owned unit was close to the new price, particularly when buying from a dealer at the end of the season or mid winter when they get hungry (in this area anyway).

MINO

Adventurer
I went with a new custom build from Phoenix. I tried to find a used one that fit my needs but I felt the interior design (cabinetry and upholstery) on most campers is a bit too "ranch cabin".
Mid century modern is more my taste. So it came down to a FWC Silver Spur and Phoenix custom. Phoenix won me out because the could also build my camper to fit my 6.5" bed and close the tailgate.
Been very happy with it. although my wallet is much lighter.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Check out both in person, if able. My experience is with pop-up campers. the only difference with old-new, is that some have AC, where I do not remember that from older ones. From what I have seen, is that AC is not terribly hard of an install if you have the know how.

craig333

Expedition Leader
To me the big advantage is knowing exactly what you get. Don't have to wonder just how its been abused. With the prices of used FWC's so high it made sense to me to buy new. Are the new FWC's better? Sure, they've made a lot of advances. The radius door, quieter furnace, one piece roof and on and on. Enough to not buy used? No. Much as I like that stuff its not enough to make me give up my old reliable camper.

mkish

Adventurer
The newer appliances are nicer. But you could replace them for the price of new vs. used if you're a tiny bit handy.

(Love turning on the water heater with a flip of a switch instead of using fire!)

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We went with pop-up on a 1 ton for the exact reasons you stated. The main reason we bought new was not wanting to wait an opportunity to buy. Got what we wanted and knew when we were going to get it. Also I didn't want a project. I wanted to use it right away. The significant changes in the FWC line began 10 years ago when the current owner purchased the company. There are continual little improvements that when taken as a whole point to a new camper.

kentuckydiesel

Thanks for all the input!

I have been checking craigslist, searchtempest, and ebay pretty regularly for a year or two. Never really saw anything that seemed like too good a deal to pass up, until yesterday. About 15-20min from me, a guy was selling a Skamper 080s that needed roof work (roof replacement). I went and checked it out...ended up bringing it home for $200! Cabinets/table/upholstery/canvas are all fine. Has a duotherm direct vent heater, dometic 3 way fridge, 3 burner range, all manuals in one of the drawers. I should have it ready for camping in no time. :)

Thanks,
Phillip

bill harr

Adventurer
Looking forward to your Skamper build.

The used price on FWC and ATC and the lack of good one, is the main reason to buy new. I fell into a deal on my first 2002 Hawk, made $4k in less than five years on that camper. Found a used 2013 Hawk shell only 6 months old, bought and drove a 1,000 miles to bring it home. Unless you are willing to wait for a good used unit, new will get you camping.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Sounds like you found a great deal! Enjoy using it this summer.

Post some photos of the interior, and reports on how you manage the roof repairs.

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
I was going to suggest used, if only to make sure you (and more importantly, the wife) like using a truck camper. They have a lot of advantages, but aren't for everyone. Sounds like you made up your mind and will be breaking out the tools! Congrats and good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94