hardtop insulation

JKFlyfisher

Anyone have input on this? I'd like to put some in on my JK, not sure if its worth it to try to make it myself or buy one from somewhere...

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I built a set and they help quite a bit in the summer. They're easy to build, just take my advise and use hi temp spray adhesive.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Anyone have input on this? I'd like to put some in on my JK, not sure if its worth it to try to make it myself or buy one from somewhere...

When I had a hardtop, I used the Hot Heads and they worked great and worth every penny. Not only cut down on heat, but they were even better on noise levels.

sseaman

Adventurer
I made my own this winter which wasn't too hard except for finding an adhesive that works in the cold and heat. The panels all pulled loose once he had a hot day sitting in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahoan

Adventurer
The hothead panel kit is really nice. I thought it was well worth $250. I wouldn't make my own.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I made my own this winter which wasn't too hard except for finding an adhesive that works in the cold and heat. The panels all pulled loose once he had a hot day sitting in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 3m double back foam tape that i bought at Wal Mart. Four $5 rolls are still holding my panels up. I read a few reviews of people's insulation coming off, so I used a lot of tape.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
That's two pretty resounding reviews for hotheads...might have to give them a try. Did you both add the soundmats?

I did not add sound mats and I was really impressed with the sound deadening without them. I also went with the velcro version and it made it really easy to install.

Last edited:

Mr.T

Insul-Liner

I bought the Insul-Liner from http://www.insul-liner.com/ a couple years ago. They made a huge comfort difference in both hot/cold temperatures, and look great doing it. Yes, they are the most expensive product in this category, but I'd do it all over the same.

Insul-Liners are over an inch thick, made of rigid closed cell foam, two layers of foil, then a layer of soft insulation, covered by marine grade vinyl, finally professionally bound and stitched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior