Rough out products Expedition pop up

fast_suv

Adventurer
I did get this Trailer as you will read later in the post; But on a side note, If anyone has one of these or any information on them i would love to talk. I really would like to know more about their short lived history....

So as I was searching for an rtt for a utility trailer build up I stumbled upon this rough out products pop up for sale:

9epe4u6e.jpg

aqy7u8ep.jpg

I'm thinking about picking it up if we can work out a reasonable deal.

My one concern is that the owner never titled it and the company has gone out of business.

The is currently no Vin plates or anything like that one it, it was sold as an off road camper from the company.

I'm in VA and can get a Vin for it and title it as a homebuilt trailer.

My question is on the form it has a place you can check that states: if you were not involve with the construction of the trailer put the name and address of the person that was.

Now I don't mind taking it apart and rebuilding it so I can say I built it but that may take a week or two... If i put rough out products info on there and they are no longer in business will dmv try to contact them?

Thanks for any input

*******UPDATE*********
So i figured i would update the first post from time to time to make things easier to look at....

Plans:
short term:
weld in 2" reciever for Lock n Roll hitch √
Clean up √
New bed/mattress√ (just cleaned up the existing
New Velcro and other hardware √
run new wiring
fix door fiber glass √
run new water lines √
check propane line (replace if needed)√
replace top sides
hi-lift jack mount
Licens plate mount
Interior LED lighting
Solar panels √
wire in inverter and run plugs√
Re coat frame √

Long term:
New cook top
new hubs and or axle set up
paint to match JK
Jerry can mount√ (in process)
Fan install
removable AC install for park camping
4.5lb propane tank mount
propane furnace
low draw fridge
ect.....ect..... ect....

Current status Picture:
20140818_181502.jpg

Last edited:

greengen1

Why not just say you built it the mva isnt gonna question it the place you have it inspected at might but they probably dont give a crap either they just check lights wheelbearings tongue hitch and brakes if applicable

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
If you put down that it was a company build they will probably ask for the title, if no title they will likely say you'll need to get a title from the company. Manufactures must give a title. An individual builder doesn't have to issue a title. Now the matter of the initial inspection; will this highway patrol type inspector believe that the level of fabrication was done by an individual in his garage? You can tell if a press brake was used, if metal is stamped, quality of welds, just saying the inspector may not buy it. At that point if you put Joe Blow down as the builder they might give Joe a call. Fraud with titled vehicles might not make your day or Joe's day. I'd also be leery of claiming I built a trailer I had never seen (I wouldn't) just a few questions that should be known by a builder could open up a can of worms.

Why not call the DMV inspection folks, not the lady handing out tags, give them the details and ask, they might say bring a bill of sale or put down "unknown" as the builder.

I have a one wheel trailer made by Sears, an early 60s model with no title. I haven't even started trying to see how to solve that, but the trailer is a quality, heavy built trailer, no way an inspector would believe it was a homemade job, you can't buy a frame like that or the suspension parts, tapered metal, it just wouldn't fly.

Now, I have heard that you can title a trailer in Delaware (I believe) as an out of state resident with a bill of sale, an easy process. Once you get the tag and title from them you can transfer that title to any state. Might consider that route and stay legal through the process.

Just from the pic I can tell that's a factory or professionally built trailer, the lid details, fit, you scored, that's a nice trailer to work with. :)

Last edited:

fast_suv

Adventurer
Picked it up

20140720_161854.jpg

Grabbed it yesterday... needs a little TLC but it's a solid start to what could be an awesome trailer

mntbkrguy

titling it as a homemade trailer in VA is really easy, almost easier than if you were to have a title. I titled mine that way, you just have to have a police officer "inspect" it. He looked at mine said nice trailer and I pointed to where I riveted the VIN plate they give and that is it.

stomperxj

Explorer
Those are really cool little trailers that were made right here in Idaho. They didn't make too many of them so its actually kinda rare...

fast_suv

Adventurer
Those are really cool little trailers that were made right here in Idaho. They didn't make too many of them so its actually kinda rare...

Yeah it seemed like they were, other than the one every references on YouTube this was the only one I have found.

Needs some TLC but nothing major.. I'm going to start work on it tomorrow; weather permitting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles