How I "toy hauler" custom Gold Rush trailer

zelatore

Explorer
I spent the last two days after work ordering parts and I'm pretty excited about it! heres what I ordered

Fill Rite 2404 24V fuel pump to fill buggies out of bulk tank mounted in the trailer. (made in USA)
Reel Craft F83000 OLP Fuel hose reel. This will make it fast and easy to top off multiple buggies at once and will stow quick and easy.
30' Goodyear soft wall hose
swivel for hose
auto shutoff nozzle

ReelCraft dp5635 air hose reel with 50' of hose. Airing up tires will never have been easier.
ReelCraft L4545 extension cord reel with 45' of 12awg cord. I was a sucker for this one, winding up cords will be a thing of the past.

Precision temp RV-550 nsp On demand lpg water heater. (55,000 BTU) I have spent so much time researching diesel vs lpg water heat it makes my head hurt. In the end I went this route because of low maintenance, high BTU output, reliability and no sidewall penetration.
Aquatec ARV water pump, 50psi at 1.5gpm (made in USA) I have had good luck with these pumps in the past, they seem to provide constant pressure at low and high volumes.
High Sierra 1.5gpm shower head (made in USA) I have never used this showerhead before but from the reviews it should provide a nice pattern and feel like a high flow head.

Quick Charge Select-A-Charge 24v 40a charger to be run off the EU2000 when the big generator is not needed or its cloudy and we are using dc power. (made in USA)
SEC America 24v-12v 30a converter, For the items I cannot get in 24V (made in USA)

Next week I will order the aluminum for the tanks Im going to build. The plan is to build saddle style tanks so the awning poles can stow down the middle of the trailer loaded from the back. I will build two 100gal tanks for water, two 60ish gal tanks for diesel and two 40ish gal tanks for gasoline.
I will order the sending units for tanks so I won't be guessing on whats left in them
I need to find a grille that I can mount inside the lower compartment on a swivel as not to block the door. Any ideas on a good grille that can hold up to rough roads?

To be continued...

That's quite the build sheet. Looks like it's going to be one heck of a trailer.
^
A couple of quick questions. First, your water pump at 1.5 gpm/50psi - how do you like that set-up? In the marine world I typically deal with the opposite- much higher volume (4 or 5 gpm) but lower pressure. I also favor variable speed DC pumps to eliminate surging; not sure if this unit is variable or not, but it's a nice feature.
^
Instead of sending units, did you consider sight gauges? Simple, cheap, and more importantly, they're 100% accurate and reliable. I realize this may not work depending on the tank locations, but thought I'd throw it out there.

flylow4500

Observer
That's quite the build sheet. Looks like it's going to be one heck of a trailer.
^
A couple of quick questions. First, your water pump at 1.5 gpm/50psi - how do you like that set-up? In the marine world I typically deal with the opposite- much higher volume (4 or 5 gpm) but lower pressure. I also favor variable speed DC pumps to eliminate surging; not sure if this unit is variable or not, but it's a nice feature.
^
Instead of sending units, did you consider sight gauges? Simple, cheap, and more importantly, they're 100% accurate and reliable. I realize this may not work depending on the tank locations, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I had the specs mixed up about the water pump. It is a variable speed pump up to 5.3gpm and has a pressure of 75-85 psi. The part number for the pump is 55aquajet-arv.

The tanks are in the bottom storage compartment above the axles, a sight glass could work but not convenient. The only sight gauge that I can think of that is 100% accurate is a clear tube to see level. Is this what you referring to? I would be worried that some day the clear tube would deteriorate or get hit with something and leak. I'd rather have full tanks with no gauge than no water or fuel.

flylow4500

Observer
This is a cool trailer and truck! Not sure what remote areas your going for but that combo doesn't look like it would like the remote areas much!

I think your used to tight trails with lots of trees. The desert is a wide open space. If your thinking tough and tight 4x4 trails are mandatory to get to "remote places" then yes it's a big rig that doesn't do 4x4 trails.

bigT74

busted knuckles
I have always used Magma grills, they are for a marine application and stow nicely, http://www.magmaproducts.com/ most all of them are designed to pivot on a rod holder tube in the gunwhale of a boat so swivel and lock installation shouldn't be an issue.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Amazing the $$$$$$$ people put into rolling stock. I hope its paid for with cash or involved in generating sizable income.

flylow4500

Observer
Thanks for the Magma tip, I'll look into them. I need a grille for a boat I'm building now, perfect timing!

Calicamper- Cant take it with me when I'm gone. Enjoy every day like it's your last.

zelatore

Explorer
I had the specs mixed up about the water pump. It is a variable speed pump up to 5.3gpm and has a pressure of 75-85 psi. The part number for the pump is 55aquajet-arv.

The tanks are in the bottom storage compartment above the axles, a sight glass could work but not convenient. The only sight gauge that I can think of that is 100% accurate is a clear tube to see level. Is this what you referring to? I would be worried that some day the clear tube would deteriorate or get hit with something and leak. I'd rather have full tanks with no gauge than no water or fuel.

Didn't see this before - yes, that's the sort of sight gauge I was talking about. In the marine world they are fitted with valves top and bottom to prevent an accidental break from draining your tanks. Just open the valves to get a reading, then close them when you're done so even if something breaks the tube you'll only loose the bit of water in the sight tube itself.
I'll second the Magma product line. I've had them on my own boats and put them on plenty of customer boats as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles