How I "toy hauler" custom Gold Rush trailer

HMT

What led you to choose Gold Rush for the basis of your build? I've often dreamed of an aluminum trailer and have been kind of leaning toward Featherlite but can't say I know anything of the Gold Rush brand.

flylow4500

Observer
I started with featherlite, the issue with them is that they don't want to build a custom trailer. They are best at cookie cutter trailers. The reason I say that is make a couple changes and $40k trailer becomes a $85k trailer. I also own a featherlite 28' enclosed, it nice but not close to the same caliber of trailer, nothing is sturdy in a featherlite. The floor is thin and dents easy, the roof is flimsy etc.

I went out to PA to look at Gold Rushes factory and was blown away at quality and attention to detail. In my opinion there isn't a trailer that can match a Gold Rush. The structural integrity of the trailer is amazing, it's made to last a lifetime.

motrhed

Observer
Very nice! Trailer, trucks and Wildcat.
Regarding the trucks, I have been considering something similar. Was your 3500 a dually (cab/chassis or fleetside) or a SRW? What wheels and tires are you running on the 3500 and would you recommend a Kelderman system?

HMT

I started with featherlite, the issue with them is that they don't want to build a custom trailer. They are best at cookie cutter trailers. The reason I say that is make a couple changes and $40k trailer becomes a $85k trailer. I also own a featherlite 28' enclosed, it nice but not close to the same caliber of trailer, nothing is sturdy in a featherlite. The floor is thin and dents easy, the roof is flimsy etc.

I went out to PA to look at Gold Rushes factory and was blown away at quality and attention to detail. In my opinion there isn't a trailer that can match a Gold Rush. The structural integrity of the trailer is amazing, it's made to last a lifetime.

Thanks for the info. I'll research them more while saving my pennies.

flylow4500

Observer
Very nice! Trailer, trucks and Wildcat.
Regarding the trucks, I have been considering something similar. Was your 3500 a dually (cab/chassis or fleetside) or a SRW? What wheels and tires are you running on the 3500 and would you recommend a Kelderman system?

The 3500 is a SRW cab chassis, which makes the bed 9'2" ish. An easy way to tell is the C&C has the rear fuel tank and behind the wheel is longer.
The wheels are American Force 6600# load rated with Michelin XDE2 285/70R19.5 6395# rated.
So far Kelderman has been great. The heavier the truck is the better it rides, ours weighs 11,750# ready to work.

flylow4500

Observer
I'm glad I got one thing done on the trailer this week, not much extra time to work on it.
I made a couple short jumpers to connect the 6v batteries together for a. 24v output.

Here is a better pic of the PV panels.

flylow4500

Observer
I'm made some slow progress this week and it feels great getting closer to checking off one thing on the list.
I installed the inverter and made some cables. The big wire is 4/0 locomotive cable and the wire from the charge controller to the combiner is 2 awg locomotive cable.

flylow4500

Observer
I'm making progress. The solar panels are charging and all the dc loads are landed on nice dc breakers. The ac panels are done too.
I'm going to tackle the gen set next.

flylow4500

Observer
Thanks for the interest Darrin! I've been too busy working to work on the trailer. I was really hoping to have the majority done by now. What I have done, is arrange the use of a hangar to work on it inside for the winter.

I have a trip planned to Moab next month, maybe that will force me to make time to work on it. :)

flylow4500

Observer
I spent the last two days after work ordering parts and I'm pretty excited about it! heres what I ordered

Fill Rite 2404 24V fuel pump to fill buggies out of bulk tank mounted in the trailer. (made in USA)
Reel Craft F83000 OLP Fuel hose reel. This will make it fast and easy to top off multiple buggies at once and will stow quick and easy.
30' Goodyear soft wall hose
swivel for hose
auto shutoff nozzle

ReelCraft dp5635 air hose reel with 50' of hose. Airing up tires will never have been easier.
ReelCraft L4545 extension cord reel with 45' of 12awg cord. I was a sucker for this one, winding up cords will be a thing of the past.

Precision temp RV-550 nsp On demand lpg water heater. (55,000 BTU) I have spent so much time researching diesel vs lpg water heat it makes my head hurt. In the end I went this route because of low maintenance, high BTU output, reliability and no sidewall penetration.
Aquatec ARV water pump, 50psi at 1.5gpm (made in USA) I have had good luck with these pumps in the past, they seem to provide constant pressure at low and high volumes.
High Sierra 1.5gpm shower head (made in USA) I have never used this showerhead before but from the reviews it should provide a nice pattern and feel like a high flow head.

Quick Charge Select-A-Charge 24v 40a charger to be run off the EU2000 when the big generator is not needed or its cloudy and we are using dc power. (made in USA)
SEC America 24v-12v 30a converter, For the items I cannot get in 24V (made in USA)

Next week I will order the aluminum for the tanks Im going to build. The plan is to build saddle style tanks so the awning poles can stow down the middle of the trailer loaded from the back. I will build two 100gal tanks for water, two 60ish gal tanks for diesel and two 40ish gal tanks for gasoline.
I will order the sending units for tanks so I won't be guessing on whats left in them
I need to find a grille that I can mount inside the lower compartment on a swivel as not to block the door. Any ideas on a good grille that can hold up to rough roads?

To be continued...

rocrunr

Adventurer
This is a cool trailer and truck! Not sure what remote areas your going for but that combo doesn't look like it would like the remote areas much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier