Toyota miles?

dustin_mud

Observer
How many miles do you guys feel reliably put on a modern 4runner or Fj? Back in the day I hand no issues running a old 22r for almost 300k miles but how does the newer modles stack up, I aske becaues we are looking at a few Fjs in the mide teens that have right at 100k on them. Thanks for any info:)

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
There was a gent over on tacoma world who put over 300k on his 06 taco with the 4.0
Same motor I think...
cheers

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Know a guy with a tacoma with a million miles. Original engine and drive train.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

summerprophet

Adventurer
Unless there is some particular noted problems with the vehicle, expect to get around 240k out of them before specific items need to be addressed. This is assuming regular servicing of course.
After 240k expect to spend $1000 a year in repairs (air conditioning, power steering, alternator, bushings and ball joints, suspension, various electrical items).
Even then, this is pretty cheap, compared to making payments on a new car.

300k or more is pretty easilly attainable, before major servicing is required ( transmission or engine rebuild)

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I guess what it really comes down to is how much money are you willing to spend? You can run anything forever as long as you pay for it. Just found another Tacoma on Tacoma world that has something like 445k mind you it is the 2.7 but regardless it is impressive
Treat the truck right and it will treat you right

dustin_mud

Observer
I understand maintenance is important but even still I wouldn't be trusting most makes over 100k these days but Toyota has done good for me in the past, just making sure there still as good.

ripperj

Explorer
I have been a Toyota guy since 84' and that was me driving a '74 PU. I have a Ram now for my truck camper, but the wife drives a highlander ( had to replace the altenator at 66k)
I never drove any of them past 150k. It seems up to that point ( with the exception of the highlander)you can count on it to get you to and back every time.
After that I found that it was always a cheap and easy fix, but something would invariable fail and leave me hanging. The point being you obviously need the part.
If I had been more proactive in replacing parts before failure, like the starter and altenator,pump etc, the 150k would probably be 250k. Please note my experience was all normal driving with very little off road.
Keith
Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Expedition Leader
I understand maintenance is important but even still I wouldn't be trusting most makes over 100k these days but Toyota has done good for me in the past, just making sure there still as good.

The 1GR-FE in the FJC is still made in Japan. I have over 150,000 on mine with no repairs and it still runs like new and doesn't leak or burn a single drop of oil between extended oil changes. I would drive it across the country tomorrow without a second thought and no prep.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I had just shy of 200,000 on mine before I needed any engine work. I spend a lot of time on dirt roads and had the front end gone through about a year before that. '07 FJ Cruiser. I had a '90 Toyota pickup with the 3.0v6 and it had over 485K on it when I got rid of it. I bought it new and had it for 20 years. Had to change the transmission at around 350-400K.

4runnerteq

Explorer
We have a 97 runner with 186k, 04 runner with 118k, 92 4x4 with 140k and a 93 4x4 with 280k. I wouldnt hesitate to drive either of them anyhwere. In fact we just got back from 1000 mile trip in the 97 dragging our m416 trailer full of camping gear. I work at a dealer and well over 200k on stuff is not unusual at all.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I think that it is becoming the norm for people to expect more and more out of their cars. People are holding on to their cars longer then they used to. For one a new 4x4 is so damn expensive these days. Secondly, technology has improved. 100k used to be the big breaking point on a used car it seems to be that these days that is not longer true. Walk into a dealership and start looking around and see how many of them have over 100k on the clock. I think that days are gone where the toyota will get 400k and the ford will only get 100k. My personal thought and experience through my own cars and trucks and the ones that I have driven at work is that just about anything will get 200k if you do a good job taking care of it. These days it is much cheaper to spend money here and there say a thousand bucks a year then have to put money down on a new loan and then have a payment. It sometimes feels like crap having a truck in the shop a few times a year, but it is WAY cheaper

Gone2Baja

Adventurer
So my truck {2007 Tacoma V6 auto} just turned 203,000 miles. I've used synthetic oil since it was new and I've always used factory Toyota oil and air filters. She runs quite and smooth she doesn't use oil between changes , the last tank I checked she got 20.4mpg in mixed{70%freeway the rest city} driving. I normally drive pretty gently on and off the road but I've never hesitated using the 'skinny' pedal when needed. I just came back from a 1200mile trip and would not hesitate to do it again.

I've had no major repairs but I expect that will change in the next 100,000 miles. As others have said this will still be much cheaper than a new truck with payments.

Best of luck!

haddix

Adventurer
I have an 07 FJ with 137k on it and no problems from me except a rear axle seal leaking. That would have been prevented if I had the breather extension mod. I let toyota change my oil so they use OEM parts. I fully expect this rig to go 250k+ no major problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online