Gravelly Range, SW Montana - Four Days and 100 Miles of Dirt

rc51kid

Adventurer
I am interested in trying this trip. But I would be solo out there. Do you have any pictures of what the "technical roads? look like? Just trying to see if I would feel OK about doing it solo.

sharalds

Montana
Hey, rc51kid, the "technical" roads are not bad at all. Fist-sized rocks and the occasional 12" deep rut. I bet there are folks on here who would take a Subaru over them.

rc51kid

Adventurer
I didn't realize how close this all is to me. I am in Yellowstone for a few more months. I think this is only about 75 miles from the west side of the park. Any route/trail/direction info that you could send to me would be great. What would the best starting point for the loop? Is it a town or road that has a name or are they all forestry roads? Do you think the free paper forestry service road maps will do well enough to navigate around the loop? I would be doing just the drive, as a few long days and then some car camping.

sharalds

Montana
Yep, if you're in Yellowstone then you are very close to this area. PM me your email address and I'll send you GPS files. They're available at this link as well, but the site is often down: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2859182

The best map for the area is from Beartooth Publishing but it's brand spanking new and he doesn't yet have it listed on his website: www.beartoothpublishing.com/index.php

You'll be fine with just about any map in my opinion. The majority of the roads out there are signed pretty well so navigating is not hard.

MTRunner

Nice write up and pictures. I've been going to this area for the last 7-8 years with my wife and her family each summer. I've been wanting to do this loop one of these summers, there are so many side roads to take up in the Gravelly's that I've checked out, just never done the full loop. There are some cool areas to check out if you take the west fork road all the way up Cliff Lake Bench as well.
I'd love to explore this area some more if this anyone else plans on going up there again this summer.

sharalds

Montana
...There are some cool areas to check out if you take the west fork road all the way up Cliff Lake Bench...

Thanks for commenting, MTRunner. I am still in awe of how spectacular a zone the Range is, even nearly a year later. Our group is considering going back up there this summer but with the intent of base camping rather than moving every night like we did in this trip. I'm going to take a closer look at some maps and check out the bench above Cliff and Wade you speak of. I've walked that road in early Spring when it was closed and I've camped down at the Lakes, but the area above needs some exploring methinks!

Foy

Explorer
Me, too

Gentlemen,

We're planning a pass through the Centennial Valley in late July. Will start over at Grant, MT and run the Big Sheep Creek route to Dell, with at least one overnight, then through Lima and into the Centennial. Probably just run the South Shore Road out of Monida and overnight at either Upper Lake CG or possibly at Elk Lake. Will be enroute to Jackson, WY so not likely much other than a drive through. If roughly 26-28 July finds you in that neck of the woods, PM me and it would be a treat to say hello.

Foy

sharalds

Montana
Foy, that looks like a great path you're going to follow. I have not explored the MT/ID borderlands over there before.

Foy

Explorer
Yessir

Foy, that looks like a great path you're going to follow. I have not explored the MT/ID borderlands over there before.

Yah, we're REALLY looking forward to it. Very familiar with the border from Chief Joseph/Lost Trail passes to Lemhi Pass, but the whole of the remainder through the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway and all of the Centennial Valley and over to Henry's Lake, ID will be new grounds. Whoo Hoo!

Foy

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Both the original and planned trips seem like a lot of fun.

Sharalds: It's so cool to see an old J truck and 60 series running together!

Foy: I look forward to seeing your thread when you complete your trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles