Adventure Scooter?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Long, long ago, I had a Benelli (spell check says that's wrong) 75cc "mini-bike" with larger mag typewheels and knobby tires,it would fit in a car trunk, I had a blast on it and rode to work. It looked like a motorcycle that was shrunk with mag wheels. Anyway, I have seen the Honda Rukus, other than that is there a larger scooter, 50cc to 250cc that has the styling of a motorcycle? Street legal, light weight, decent wheel travel, hit 70 mph, carry two up or 500 lbs? Or it that an impossible task?

Anyone have one? Something handy to toss in the truck or the boat.

Last edited:

AMBOT

Adventurer
Your specs are really of a motorcycle / dual sport rather than a scooter. I have a ruckus and there is a huge aftermarket for it.... But I haven't seen lift kits, although you can get fatty tires and even do a gy6 swap for 150cc (up from 49cc). 70 mph is also a bit scary.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There were indeed some cool "mini-motorcycles" back in the day--you could, for example, buy this Allstate direct from the Sears Catalog. ("What's the Sears Catalog?" says half the readership.)

SearsSabre.jpg

But I don't recall any of them having sufficient cajonnes to to do 70 mph or safely carry 500 pounds.

The best I could do when looking for an adventure scooter was the 250cc Honda PS250 Big Ruckus:

attachment.php

There's a thread with some "overlanding-prepped" pictures here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/86802

Some Big Rucki can do 70 mph, but the max carrying capacity (passengers + cargo) is 322 pounds, and it's not exactly motorcycle-like. I'm not sure what two-wheeled thing you'll find with a listed carrying capacity of 500 pounds. Honda Gold Wings are listed as under 425 pounds. "Perhaps the gentleman would like to see something in a nice sidecar rig?"

Good luck. Let us know if you find anything close enough.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yes, not that I'd ride at 70 on something that small, but if it had the guts to get there I'd do 55 in traffic, so long as I had reserve to get out of the way. 5oo is probably pushing it, but two up can be 380, unless I get a thinner GF! No long touring going on, just a grocery getter and some back trails (probably with just me).

Just thought of my old Benelli, sure be nice to have it back, it would hit 60 with a tail wind.

There was another one back then. I think it was called a mule. 2wd ? Not sure who made it, kind of a heavy duty work horse large mini bike, seems the military used them a bit too.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
There's always the Rokon line-up. Two-wheel drive and only 218 pounds. Shame about the 7 horsepower engine.

MouseOver_Trailbreaker.jpg

http://www.rokon.com/1_4_trail-breaker.html

FWIW, a Big Ruckus is relatively comfortable on a freeway. Enough power to hold your own, and stable enough not to be freaky. Of course, if you're willing to have your scooter encased in plastic, lots of models, from, say, the Honda Forza up to through the triple-digit Suzuki Burgman 650 are workable for a freeway cruise.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hey, thanks Mike. The Rokon was what was in the back of my mind, that's it. Those wheels are big enough. Not sure about maintenance on that 2wd stuff, I'll research it.

Some of the large scooters are nice for what they are and for who they are made for, not that I wouldn't ride one but I don't think I'd buy one.

Had an uncle as a kid who made go-carts, a tractor, a min-jeep and several mini-bikes, most had industrial engines but "my" mini bike had a 12 hp chain saw engine and it flew! I usually crashed as it had small wheels, like 10" or so. So, small wheels are just too tricky, the faster you go there hairier it gets. Spoke to a few scooter guys passing through, they said you get use to the small wheels......it's the getting use to them without being black and blue is the hard part I bet.

But the Honda as mentioned and that Rokon is what I had in mind. Anymore?

cascade.king

On the topic of scooter-meets-dirt bike Honda Trail 70s were a blast, but not super fast..

The handlebars had cool toggle-locks to allow them to be rolled down to the forks for stowing in the rear of a family station wagon.

I'm a big guy, and can fit on one fine..
I bet someone sells an oversize motor for it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405912713.403462.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Yamaha tw200. Google it. Those rokons are hardcore and you can do engine swaps but 35mph max and not street legal.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Gotta say that Yamaha is the best looking of the bunch, a small (real) dual sport, 78mpg, I've forgotten about those kinds of numbers. My 1600 Vulcan mpg is about 20, or less depending on my ride. The Transalp is a lot better, maybe 35.
I've ridden the Honda Trail 70 long ago, a friend had one who rode with me being on my Benelli, I was quicker ( I was 45 years younger too). That Honda is a bit of a collector's item, pricey selling for more than they were new for a nice one.
The more I look at the Rukus the more I like it, just seems something is missing in front of the seat, a big touring tank bag might help, maybe a gas tank. Like the dual headlights.
The Rokon has "tank" wheels, mentioned in one description, said tank as in water tanks as carrying water!
Just for grins, I think I'll call the HP inspection center and ask what a small homemade bike has to have to pass inspection, I know the stuff it needs, but the size, top speed, they won't approve mini-bike type stuff. Any ideas, mix the best of all the others?

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
You'd probably find a Trail 90 (CT90) more to your liking than a Trail 70. Physically bigger, and real motorcycle wheels. Still light enough with fold down handlebars. Has a "sub-transmission," of all things, so it has 4 high gears and 4 low gears:

Trail 90.jpg

There's a very good overview here should you want one:

http://ct90-ct110.com/The-Honda-CT-.html

Trail 90s strike me as half-scooter, half-motorcycle. No manual clutch, but gears you shift yourself. Kind of a step-through frame. Bigger than scooter wheels, but small for a motorcycle. Pretty trick as a low-key trail bike or for putttering around town, but not freeway happy. 7.5 horsepower only goes so far. (You know you're underpowered when they include a decimal point in the hp rating.)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Ah, the 125! Good pick, I thought there was a larger one, the site says it was only made in 1977, meaning another collector's bike which probably means more money and less parts. I bought an old Ascott 500, V twin, an 85 I think being the pre-runner of the Transalp but it was more of a street bike, good for mild off road. It was rather rare too but I could still get pricey parts at the Honda dealer. It was too big to go on the boat and too small for me to ride as a primary bike. 6 1/2 ft inside width to set a bike in lengthwise is tough to meet. 80" might work setting it in at an angle under the gunnels and then scooting it in.

Thought these might make a good support bike, taking less room and less hassle, allowing you to get back where the truck can't go.

jkam

nomadic man
How about the Sachs Madass. It seems like a decent little scooter with plenty of aftermarket stuff available.

Something like this.

images

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne