Adventure Scooter?

HTTLLC

Hey, thanks Mike. The Rokon was what was in the back of my mind, that's it. Those wheels are big enough. Not sure about maintenance on that 2wd stuff, I'll research it.

Some of the large scooters are nice for what they are and for who they are made for, not that I wouldn't ride one but I don't think I'd buy one.

Had an uncle as a kid who made go-carts, a tractor, a min-jeep and several mini-bikes, most had industrial engines but "my" mini bike had a 12 hp chain saw engine and it flew! I usually crashed as it had small wheels, like 10" or so. So, small wheels are just too tricky, the faster you go there hairier it gets. Spoke to a few scooter guys passing through, they said you get use to the small wheels......it's the getting use to them without being black and blue is the hard part I bet.

But the Honda as mentioned and that Rokon is what I had in mind. Anymore?

Long time lurker, first time poster.
ROKONs are an essential part of my business plan (off the grid "stuff") and I can honestly say there isn't any other "bike" out there like them. If going super fast is your cup of tea, stop reading the rest of this post!

The ROKON (as I'm sure you've read elsewhere) is considered a tractor. There capabilities are geared towards off roading and simply put all other vehicles I've taken in to the back country to shame. 4 wheelers, dirt bikes and trail bikes have all been easily outdone the minute wheels touch "off the trail". Rivers, ponds, bogs, mud pits, swamps, steep inclines, sand, sand dunes, through forests with downed trees, mountain regions and deep snow....just a few place I've taken the Rokon. I have yet to get stuck and never not made it home.
Although I've never had to do an on the trail fix, it's very easy with simple tools. The Rokon was built with ease of maintenance and simplicity in mind. The majority of the bolts are the same size and it's chain driven, the engine is basic. If you can do basic maintenance and repairs on a chainsaw this bike is a cake walk!
If your goal is owning a machine that can basically "do it all", this is the one. Truly the AK 47 of off road vehicles!
I have used these in the UP of Michigan to go deep off the trails to remote hunting spots, upon arrival I've then used it to make sizable white tail food plots. It's uses are endless!

There is a company that sells street legal Rokons in Washington state.
http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com/id107.html

If you want more then 7hp engine check out these guys
http://fillmanmachining.com/product-category/power-bee-820/us820-engines

I'm in no way affiliated to either of these company's.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thought I'd post this pic of my Sym VS125. Not exactly an Expedition Scooter and not something I'd probably throw on the back of a truck but the Carver board rack works great and I plan to transfer it onto my "Expedition" Vstrom when it's finished.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Imo if I had to pick a true expedition scooter and I can't imagine a universe where that would really happen, I think I'd go with a older Vespa purely for their global parts availability......but also think for a bike to go on the rear of an expo truck it would be hard to go past a Madass or TW.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
LOL, Whatchareterboat.

Welcome HTTLLC, I understand your endorsement of the Rokon, saying it outperforms all others is a little strong as it certainly depends on the trail.

I had a Bennelli with folding handlebars that came inward for transport. I lost many larger bikes in a challenge as a kid. A trial here ends up along a cliff face along the lake. Most turned around, one fool tried to follow me and his scooter ended up in the water. I'd just fold my bars in and keep going.

If we take into consideration versatility that performs in varied conditions I'd think being on a dirt road or even a hard surface all weather road would need to be in the mix, doing that means that a niche bike will fall short.

The issue with the Rokon is that you need to haul it, you can't really get there on it, at least in a reasonable amount of time. Same issue with all of them too, local transport only. Price wise, I'd have to opt for something more versatile, something you could ride 200 miles that you could still haul around. As a kid, I rode that Bennelli over 150 miles round trip several times, I was passed on the highway but I passed a few RVs too. If I got stuck I could just pick it up, so that's almost like not being stuck. A rocky ledge, no problem pick it up and set it down a bit at a time to get over the obstacles and go on. Not light enough to pack on your back but light enough to move it and lift it about.

I think I'll give a call to the highway patrol who inspects homebuilt vehicles and ask how small a bike can be, I've seen a few toy choppers and small (tiny) 2 wheelers that don't require a license. Many I see seem to be ridden by those who lost their driver's license and might be powered by Miller Highlife.

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
Maybe a new Honda Grom with some knobbies/semi-knobbies?

2014-Honda-Grom_zpsb75bf1ea.jpg

I really want to get one for grocery store runs and playing around town. 125CC with a 3-4 speed transmission (not sure on that one). Only problem is finding one at a dealership...they seem to be all sold out.

There is a guy that lives near me that bought one recently. I've followed him in my car and he can keep a steady 60-65 mph with it on the backroads.

(P.S.--borrowed the image from ADVrider...don't know who that dude is....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles