Needed Asap Manual Hubs GEN 2 / 2.5 ?? I have looked

ultrakill

Adventurer
Well the same thing happened to me now.

Rugged Ridge Hubs are a piece of crap!!! I was wheeling at Pismo Dunes and after pulling someone that was stuck, I noticed I wasn't going anywhere like before. Turns out my drivers side hub bit the dust, and I was in 3-wheel drive. It was a real chore to get out of where I was, ended up having to get a couple pulls, and use my Maxtrax recovery boards a few times.

I think it was a combination of the soft/loose sand and the locker which "freed" up my hub. Haven't taken it apart yet, as I didn't notice any cracks or hear any noises driving back home in 2-Hi. I will do that today or tomorrow and try to add pictures to this post if I can.

I ordered a used pair of Aisins from ebay, which happened to pop up, usually they are pretty hard to find. I also ordered some AVMs to be a backup (also from ebay).

I was wondering if anyone has bought these new "Aisin" hubs that have been popping up on Ebay and also amazingly Amazon?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Locking-Hub-AISIN-FHM-002-fits-84-89-Mitsubishi-Montero-/311126997276?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMontero&hash=item48709d391c&vxp=mtr
http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-FHM-002-Free-Wheel-Hub/dp/B00HFKEDVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413833406&sr=8-1&keywords=aisin+fhm-002

I was reading online in some forum, can't remember which one, that these are Aisin copies that actually meet OEM standards, but not genuine Aisin manufactured parts. Just wondering if anyone has seen this on a rig or tried them out, I'm sure they must be better than Rugged Ridge, but I hardly think they would be as good as an original Aisin.

Sorry for long post, and sorry for whoever bought RR hubs after I said they worked fine for me, I take everything back that I ever said good about them. The one positive thing is they worked well for nearly a year, until I hit loose sand, and installed a locker.

So for normal street driving or casual offroading they should hold up. But any serious wheeling you should immediately replace.

As much as I said not to buy the Rugged Ridge hubs, the customer service at Rugged Ridge was great. I told them what happened, they asked to see pictures if I had any (obviously I did) next day they told me a new pair were in the mail. I got them quickly and put them back on.

Maybe I got a bad batch the first time, or maybe they really are weak. I really dont know yet. But honestly I would much rather have a manual hub break than the next weakest link which is the cv joints. A 5 min job to swap the broken manual hub to the factory hub sure beats having to remove an axle and plug the diff while on the trail. I kind of like having the hub as the weakest link.

As far as aussie locker in 2wd with factory hubs onroad, I noticed no driveablity difference vs. with manual hubs unlocked. Once I shifted into 4 high is where the steering wheel fights you.

I wheeled Lockwood Trail and Miller Jeep trail this past weekend, and made it through just fine. I was easy on the skinny pedal and certainly avoided spinning.

Well the same thing happened to me now.

Rugged Ridge Hubs are a piece of crap!!! I was wheeling at Pismo Dunes and after pulling someone that was stuck, I noticed I wasn't going anywhere like before. Turns out my drivers side hub bit the dust, and I was in 3-wheel drive. It was a real chore to get out of where I was, ended up having to get a couple pulls, and use my Maxtrax recovery boards a few times.

I think it was a combination of the soft/loose sand and the locker which "freed" up my hub. Haven't taken it apart yet, as I didn't notice any cracks or hear any noises driving back home in 2-Hi. I will do that today or tomorrow and try to add pictures to this post if I can.

I ordered a used pair of Aisins from ebay, which happened to pop up, usually they are pretty hard to find. I also ordered some AVMs to be a backup (also from ebay).

I was wondering if anyone has bought these new "Aisin" hubs that have been popping up on Ebay and also amazingly Amazon?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Locking-Hub-AISIN-FHM-002-fits-84-89-Mitsubishi-Montero-/311126997276?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMontero&hash=item48709d391c&vxp=mtr
http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-FHM-002-Free-Wheel-Hub/dp/B00HFKEDVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413833406&sr=8-1&keywords=aisin+fhm-002

I was reading online in some forum, can't remember which one, that these are Aisin copies that actually meet OEM standards, but not genuine Aisin manufactured parts. Just wondering if anyone has seen this on a rig or tried them out, I'm sure they must be better than Rugged Ridge, but I hardly think they would be as good as an original Aisin.

Sorry for long post, and sorry for whoever bought RR hubs after I said they worked fine for me, I take everything back that I ever said good about them. The one positive thing is they worked well for nearly a year, until I hit loose sand, and installed a locker.

So for normal street driving or casual offroading they should hold up. But any serious wheeling you should immediately replace.

ultrakill

Adventurer
Here is the weird thing, after taking apart my RR hub last night I could see nothing broken on it. It was a little gunked up but nothing that I think would prevent it from functioning properly. My only thought is the shop installed in wrong last time when they had to take out the axle to replace axle seals. I re-installed the same hub and will run it at least until my aisin or avm hubs come in. I'm curious if it will now work properly.

plh

Explorer

Amazon link - I'm pretty sure that price is each thou.

Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
Just wondering what the big advantage is of these hubs over auto hubs for my 96 Montero. Is it MPG and/or theoretical reduction in component wear?
We may add F&R lockers on our Montero LS in the next few months.

ultrakill

Adventurer
Just wondering what the big advantage is of these hubs over auto hubs for my 96 Montero. Is it MPG and/or theoretical reduction in component wear?

I think just to be more reliable. I had stock auto hubs on my ride while wheeling (not hard) and when I tried to shift to 2-hi, the hubs stuck engaged and made a rubbing sound the whole way home. That was kinda the last straw for me. If manual hubs fail, they fail in so as the hub is "free" from the axle so at least driving home you should be fine. Also, manual hubs are supposed to be stronger and less prone to fail because they are simpler (as long as you get high quality ones).

plh

Explorer

Your '96 doesn't have auto hubs. All Gen 2 and forward have axle flanges. Manual Locking hubs reduce driveline wear. Stops the CV shafts from spinning all the time.

PacS14

Adventurer
I got.mine from amazon and are the Japanese Aisin hubs not the Chinese lower quality version. Just search on amazon for the part number and you will find it. If in doubt count the splines on the picture and they should be 28.

The Automatic Stock hubs only lasted 5K-15K for me, and a few sets were replaced under warranty. Also VERY maintenance intensive. Not greased all the time, wont work. Skipping all the other reasons, reliability is a big one.

nbishop

Observer
I got.mine from amazon and are the Japanese Aisin hubs not the Chinese lower quality version. Just search on amazon for the part number and you will find it. If in doubt count the splines on the picture and they should be 28.

Do you have that part number handy? I'm not able to find them on Amazon using the 1997 montero LS filter. Thanks!

PacS14

Adventurer
Do you have that part number handy? I'm not able to find them on Amazon using the 1997 montero LS filter. Thanks!

The Aisin part # FHM-002. I got them from amazon, not the cheapest price but at least they are made in Japan not in China.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94