Needed Asap Manual Hubs GEN 2 / 2.5 ?? I have looked

mk75

Adventurer
Tuffpans is out of the Chinese Mitsubishi manual hubs. It looks like they are available via Ebay Austrailia. So my question are they one in the same ? I know that some of you out there have installed these in particular. Reviews of these hubs are limited.

WARN makes a 28 spline manual hub. Anyone know if they will work with a Gen 2.5 ?

Rugged Ridge also makes a hub for the Montero. I read and hear these are not great. Reviews comments ??

Aisin hubs I cant seem to find new or even find a set to rebuild.

Any leads or advice would be great .

Thanks from PDX
Mk75

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Tuffpans is out of the Chinese Mitsubishi manual hubs. It looks like they are available via Ebay Austrailia. So my question are they one in the same ? I know that some of you out there have installed these in particular. Reviews of these hubs are limited.

WARN makes a 28 spline manual hub. Anyone know if they will work with a Gen 2.5 ?

Rugged Ridge also makes a hub for the Montero. I read and hear these are not great. Reviews comments ??

Aisin hubs I cant seem to find new or even find a set to rebuild.

Any leads or advice would be great .

Thanks from PDX
Mk75
Aisin seem to be the most reliable based on the results from many online. All of the others including the Chinese, rugged ridge hubs are known to fail albeit some may have experienced good results with them.

Your best bet is to locate a set of aisins at a salvage yard or from an online seller.

ultrakill

Adventurer
My Rugged Ridge hubs have been on for 8 months and have loved them every second. They have not shown any flaws or weaknesses yet and I don't expect them to. Mine are on my Gen 1 LWB (maybe same as 2, 2.5) 28 spline. The one thing I would recommend is buying longer bolts for the hub "end cap" as the outer cap comes with very short bolts that will not allow you to torque down the cap to a comfortable level. The instructions say to only torque to 22-25 ft/lbs (it does not hold the hub on, it doesn't need to be strong, it only holds the end cap where you turn to "free" or "lock" position).

I was uncomfortable with those short bolts, so I purchased longer bolts either 20 or 25mm bolts from OSH, and torqued it down very hard about 60 ft/lbs. Since them I am very happy with them and would purchase them again, although I doubt I will ever have to.

mk75

Adventurer
Anyone have 28 Spljne Aisin M-Hubs they want to part with???

I really thought more would chime in on this topic of manual hubs. So looks like I am either going to have to buy AVM or Rugged Ridge. I thought someone just might have just 1 extra set of Aisins. I cant even find a set to rebuild from the junk yard , LKQ, Ebay , etc.

ultrakill

Adventurer
I really thought more would chime in on this topic of manual hubs. So looks like I am either going to have to buy AVM or Rugged Ridge. I thought someone just might have just 1 extra set of Aisins. I cant even find a set to rebuild from the junk yard , LKQ, Ebay , etc.

Aisins are hard to find, I'm sure everyone with them is keeping them. While I was purchasing my Rugged Ridge Manual Hubs, I saw one pair of Aisins on ebay for over $300 and in rough condition. I picked up my RR hubs for just over $100.

If you search 4x4 wire or pirate 4x4 for Montero Manual Hubs, others have chimed in about Rugged Ridge hubs and it seems nobody has had any problems with them. I bought 2 pairs just in case I have a failure in 5-10 years and they are no longer available. I don't expect to have to open the second pair though.

I've also seen RR hubs on Jeeps and Toyotas before so they can't be that bad.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I got some aisins completely rebuilt and painted for the price of the tuffpans off ebay awhile back. They can be found but it takes luck and time.

P.S. I'm keeping mine :)

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I have a set of Aisin's, Mitsubishi-specific. Complete with a whole set of parts to rebuild them. Haven't gotten around to it yet, as I'm not sure if I'll be keeping my Montero SR.

Rugged ridge is not recommended. I wheel lightly with my 2.5 and broke both sides manual hubs on the same trip. The second one might be because I have an Aussie locker in my front and once one side broke, all fwd power is now driven off the locked side. Fortunately I had my stock hubs in my spare tools kit and pit them on. Here are a couple pictures I took. The hubs exploded from within, cracking the housing so the splines could no longer lock.

5ddfaa4992b6d4db995a285fe99a827f.jpg

59940441d8d54cc0f0451cca66a77f3d.jpg

13474e34c871347e5a956fef8e700c74.jpg

e71c04b29859c2a0bbf72ff4fa2678b7.jpg

That was one side. Other side was the same but no pictures. One thing I can say is that the housing appears to be made of a very porous metal.

I will be emailing rugged ridge to see what can be done. The hubs are less than 6 mos old.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Ha Ha Ha, mine did the same thing in sand. buy Aisin or SUperwinch if you can find them. I just got a set of AVMs i'm going to try out. If they survive the Sierra Challenge i'll let you dudes know.

ultrakill

Adventurer
Rugged ridge is not recommended. I wheel lightly with my 2.5 and broke both sides manual hubs on the same trip. The second one might be because I have an Aussie locker in my front and once one side broke, all fwd power is now driven off the locked side. Fortunately I had my stock hubs in my spare tools kit and pit them on. Here are a couple pictures I took. The hubs exploded from within, cracking the housing so the splines could no longer lock.

e71c04b29859c2a0bbf72ff4fa2678b7.jpg

That was one side. Other side was the same but no pictures. One thing I can say is that the housing appears to be made of a very porous metal.

I will be emailing rugged ridge to see what can be done. The hubs are less than 6 mos old.

Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear that. My Rugged Ridge hubs have held up fine, but looking at those pictures makes me cringe. Maybe I'll consider throwing the OEM auto-hubs back on there. Do you know if there is any danger of running auto-hubs with an auto-locker (Aussie)? Some people have said that it's not advisable, in 2wd and also 4wd.

I hope my RR hubs will hold up, it's been almost a year at this point, and I wheel pretty hard. Maybe because I have 3.0L and running a lot lighter (stock size) tires, they are holding up. I plan to upgrade to 33/10.5/15 this spring so I hope the hubs will be able to take that extra force.

lordtrunks

camp loser
I've always had good luck with the superwinch hubs. the gen 1 auto hubs seem to be pretty strong my friend runs them on his 2dr with 33.1250's thats locked front and rear and took it on the sierra challenge last year and they held up and his rig was overloaded. If anyone tries the avm's get make sure you get the HD version which will have a red dial vs the standard black dial version as the HD version is made for locked rigs and has a stronger hub ring. i have yet to try a set so i have no real world info on these, other than the fact superwinch hubs were made by avm and as i stated above i have had good luck with superwinch hubs.

I've always had good luck with the superwinch hubs. the gen 1 auto hubs seem to be pretty strong my friend runs them on his 2dr with 33.1250's thats locked front and rear and took it on the sierra challenge last year and they held up and his rig was overloaded. If anyone tries the avm's get make sure you get the HD version which will have a red dial vs the standard black dial version as the HD version is made for locked rigs and has a stronger hub ring. i have yet to try a set so i have no real world info on these, other than the fact superwinch hubs were made by avm and as i stated above i have had good luck with superwinch hubs.

I don't know if the red dial HD carried over to rugged ridge, but mine were red dials.

a23c1dae75a6c5d6e8ea4499ee63d21d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke