General reliability question

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The Canadian military use the "bare bones" GWagens and hate them. Overly complicated in a way only the Germans can manage and underpowered.

My point about Toyota service and repair parts being available anywhere was to highlight the fact that they do go wrong often and require such parts.

Or are there just loads of really stupid auto parts store owners the world over stocking Toyota parts they will never sell because no one will ever need them?

I've worked on all makes and models for a living and found everything has its shortcomings.

Hell, car for car an old full sized Blazer is more reliable than a Toyota. It's just Toyota owners in general are more anal about servicing because they want reliability above all else. If the average old Land Rover got as much effort spent on maintenance as FJ40's then everyone would think they are super reliable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess Canadians aren't smart enough to work on them :) the usmc has them and from what I've heard love them. To each his own

You're failing to see the point about the parts. More of them in the area equals more parts. If you can't get a part, call up Toyota and they send it to you. I'm far from anal about servicing my cruiser and it's been super reliable. Not sure how you figure a blazer is more reliable but whatever. Of that's what you think, run with it.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

roverandom

Adventurer
Don't disrespect the Canadian military please.

Why would you ever need parts? I was under the impression Toyota's never go wrong??

You are suggesting there is a thriving industry of repair parts for old Toyota's with ,apparently, little to no demand?

It does not add up. Someone must be buying parts?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Don't disrespect the Canadian military please.

Why would you ever need parts? I was under the impression Toyota's never go wrong??

You are suggesting there is a thriving industry of repair parts for old Toyota's with ,apparently, little to no demand?

It does not add up. Someone must be buying parts?

I could care less about the cdf. So sue me.
I think you're trying to argue. Anything g man made breaks down. What's your point?

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
You have obviously missed the point.

Nope sure didn't.

A.J.M

Explorer
I think you have, it's a tongue in cheek comment, maybe you don't get sarcasm?

The myth is land cruisers need no work done and are 100% reliable.
He has said, if they are so reliable, then why all the spare parts, given that a 100% reliable car shouldn't need spare parts..

You must have missed the sarcasm so I'm pointing it out to you. So you can get it.
If you still are missing it, I shall try and draw it in crayon for you. :)

Op, some people love defenders, others don't.
They can be reliable but you will have to build it yourself to get that state, they can however be prone to stupid faults and niggles that would drive you bonkers.
I would suggest you get her a drive in one and take it from there as the driving position alone can put some people off.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I think you have, it's a tongue in cheek comment, maybe you don't get sarcasm?

The myth is land cruisers need no work done and are 100% reliable.
He has said, if they are so reliable, then why all the spare parts, given that a 100% reliable car shouldn't need spare parts..

You must have missed the sarcasm so I'm pointing it out to you. So you can get it.
If you still are missing it, I shall try and draw it in crayon for you. :)

Op, some people love defenders, others don't.
They can be reliable but you will have to build it yourself to get that state, they can however be prone to stupid faults and niggles that would drive you bonkers.
I would suggest you get her a drive in one and take it from there as the driving position alone can put some people off.

Hmmm. I never said cruisers are 100% reliable so I don't know what your point is. You're just building a straw man argument.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Omar you can't get a Defender here sadly. Not unless they are quite old. :/

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Bottom line: Land Rovers are highly-capable offroad vehicles, praised by their owners for their prowess and for (traditionally, anyway) being quite simple to work on.

Virtually all Japanese vehicles are known for their reliability. Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and others make excellent trucks with great, well-deserved reputations. Do they have the same capabilities on the trail as Land Rovers? That's open to debate; in the real world, they'll all need winching and other recovery efforts, and they'll all ultimately get you there.

Why are Toyota parts known for being widely available around the planet? It's not because they need a lot of repairs, it's because they're a ubiquitous vehicle. Toyota have sold 7,291,000 Land Cruisers and 11,101,000 Hiluxes, not to mention 25,293,000 Corollas (source: http://www.toyota-global.com/company/profile/figures/production_en.html). You don't dominate the open global market like that with shoddy vehicles.

Land Rover owners openly acknowledge that the price for enjoying legendary 4WD ability and the marque's cachet is to be much more involved with regular maintenance than would be the case with a vanilla Japanese truck.

It's just like the debate between adventure riders who proudly wear the BMW roundel versus the cheapskates (me, for example) who tout the tractor-like Kawasaki KLR.

I have owned (and rebuilt) a Series Land Rover, very much enjoyed when I was young and single. It's one of the reasons that I now happily own a Mitsubishi.

roverandom

Adventurer
Toyota's domination of the 4wd market began with a Jeep copy body, with Land Rover copy axles, a Chevy engine and a really cheap purchase price. Not a recipe for greatness. The biggest reason it's hard to break an old Toyota is they don't make enough power to damage anything.

Old School Rover reps still lament the lost market in developing countries and rue the abandonment of the utility Land Rover.

However, Toyota's rise in reality had more to do with better company management than the product they were selling at the time.

tacr2man

Adventurer
i believe that JLR kept the defender going more as an advertising tool than a money making venture , The SUV , and crossover market is where they have been making huge profits , defender is too costly a product , from a manufacturing pov . JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94