My new candle lanterns

Frank Lloyd Wright said, "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.". I just bought 4 of the UCO's and 4 of the Bushlites and, just for me, I value the Bushlites 3 times the UCO's. That's just me, but I like the Bushlites 3 times as much as the UCO's, so for me, they're worth 3x as much. What anyone else wants is clearly up to them to decide.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
It says 20mm candles - a bit more than 3/4 inch of an inch in diameter.

The mozzie clip is used to hold a small pad with a chemical on it that when heated is released and repels or disrupts the ability of the mosquitoes to find a person - it doesn't kill them. It needs to be used in a room with limited air flow to be effective. I looked up one brand and it says its good for 8 hours but people say once its used at all it dries out and has to be replaced.

Just for clarification, I bought my UCO brass candle lanterns from Amazon a month ago and they cost around $25 each, so the Bushlites at around $37 each aren't all that different, just to compare my 2 purchases, apples to apples.

troyboy162

Adventurer
Got any pictures? These seem pretty neat. Ive got LED's up the wazoo for my play time. I'd think beer thirty would be better by light from these.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Some pictures of the bushlites would be nice. I am looking at candle lanterns, and am looking at Coghlans for 6 bucks a pop since I can use candles I already buy.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Some pictures of the bushlites would be nice. I am looking at candle lanterns, and am looking at Coghlans for 6 bucks a pop since I can use candles I already buy.

The Coghlans are not really comparable, IMO. Here's a write up from someone who sells both:

Our Candle Lanterns Compared: (from http://www.gofastandlight.com/Coughlan-Candle-Lantern/productinfo/L-8506/ )

The Coghlan is lighter and cheaper.

The UCO is better made (thicker metal, glass, hooked hanger). The UCO has a larger glass surface area to let out more light. The UCO is more stable on a table top (weighted base with candle lock). We trust the locking mechanism on the UCO more. The UCO can be handled by the base during use (Coghlan base gets hot). The UCO has a catch basin to prevent wax spills. The UCO locks the candle in place, Coghlan's moves freely inside the case. UCO has more options (reflectors, cases). The UCO has a better guarantee.

So ... it depends what you are looking for - light and sufficient, or a longer lasting, better designed, more livable alternative in the UCO. Both have their place.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like the South African candle lanterns are even better than the UCO's.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Bushlite -

Bushlite-Brass-Thin-Border.jpg

UCO -

shopping

Coughlan -

8506.jpg

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Looks like the UCO brand has been around since 1981, the Bushlight "an African original since 1998".

You can also get an oil adapter for the UCO.

Tom P.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Actually the brass UCO candle lanterns are made in Redmond WA USA and have been around for 40+ years... but the idea of a spring loaded candle lantern was around long before UCO.

http://www.industrialrev.com/uco/

(The cheaper anodized aluminum versions are imported it seems).

Here is an article about the demand for them after the Japan earthquakes:

http://seattletimes.com/html/restlessnative/2014684886_restless05m.html

The advantage of the Bushlite is that it uses a more "standard" type of candle compared to the UCO's special sized one. I found boxes of 72 "Shabbat" candles that would fit the Bushlite for as little as $27 - so about $0.38 each. That's a lot less than the UCO candles at 3 for $4 = $1.33 each...

http://www.candles4less.com/product..._Ih0VJ2v8NvklAjlWiUvXV4z7H1hkOETM7BoCws7w_wcB

I think that the burn time of the candle in the latern might be higher due to the spring loaded system compared to when used in the normal way but can't say for sure with testing.

Last edited:

Camelfilter

Explorer
Thanks for posting up about these. They look very nice, I also like that they can use regular candles.

Not a must have for me, more of a nice to have. I'll likely wait & ask for them as a gift, or until they might be easier to buy in the US.

My caliper indicates that the sidewall of the UCO brass cylinder is approximately 33 thousandths of an inch thick and the sidewall of the Bushlite brass cylinder is approximately 50 thousandths of an inch thick. I'm not positive, but it appears that makes the UCO about 20 gauge and the Bushlite about 16 gauge.

It seems that the Bushlite brass is about 50% thicker than the lighter weight UCO lantern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles