My new candle lanterns

enzo

Explorer
I sent an email to Bushlights the other day. They will not be in this week because of a death in the family. I'm placing an order for 3 lights. I will take pics if anyone is interested once I receive these.

Here are some pictures of both the UCO brass lantern on the left and the Bushlite brass lantern on the right in each picture.

Attachments

• Bushlite Brass Candle Lantern 1.JPG
    Bushlite Brass Candle Lantern 1.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,458
  • Bushlite Brass Candle Lantern 2.JPG
    Bushlite Brass Candle Lantern 2.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Bushlite Brass Candle Lantern 3.JPG
    Bushlite Brass Candle Lantern 3.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Bushlite Brass Candle Lantern 4.JPG
    Bushlite Brass Candle Lantern 4.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Great photos - what is the maximum length of the candle that the Bushlite can use? Just wondering if the ones I linked to earlier would actually work without trimming...

I just measured the spare Bushlite candles that came with the Deluxe Carry Bag and they are about 4.25" long and then the cone-shaped, tip part on top is above that yet. So the grand total length when brand new and unused is about 4.75" long.

They are 20 mm in diameter and that's about 13/16". I did try to see if a normal U.S. typical 3/4" by 10" long, taper candle would fit into the Bushlite and it does, even the slightly thicker bottom of the taper candle. I read on a British website, Bushcraft UK, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12708& an interesting discussion of the UCO versus the Bushlite and over there, they use ordinary 10" long candles and just cut them in half for their Bushlite lanterns. It looks to me like we can do that here, as well.

The big selling point for the UCO candle lantern is that their special, proprietary candles can burn for around 9 hours. It appears that they are able to achieve that by the way the spring lifts the candle up into the cone shaped top, thus forcing the candle to actually burn all of the candle wax, instead of just allowing the candle wax to melt and run down the outside of the candle and also that they have a special formulation of their candle wax that also assists the entire candle to actually burn and not just melt. I do think that is also part of the reason that their candles don't seem to have quite as big of a flame and therefore not quite as bright of a flame as an ordinary candle, like are used in the Bushlite candle lanterns.

So, to answer your question, "what is the maximum length of the candle that the Bushlite can use?", I would say that even though the actual Bushlite replacement candles are 4" long, I think that cutting an American 10" candle in half, 5" each, would probably work, but it's going to really compress the spring in the base maybe more than it's designed to be. But if a guy did cut a 10" candle in half, he might want to "sharpen" the top of the bottom half to help expose the candle wick to help it light the first time. That would probably help out by slightly shortening the 5" and thereby not over squishing the spring.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I love this thread. My candle lantern is hands down my favorite piece of camping gear. I curious how you guys transport them? Case of anything? I considered a small pelican case to carry mine. I think an 1120 would fit one and a few spare candles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troyboy162

Adventurer
Thanks for the review. My brass one came in today and I like it. It seems to be OK on some 3/4 by 5" candles I found at the grocery store. The shabbat candles I found are too narrow unfortunately.IMG_20141110_143048.jpg

troyboy162

Adventurer
IMG_20141111_105810.jpg
Alright I've learned way too much about candles in the last day of owning this lantern haha.

First off a true 3/4" wide candle will work but will also melt its way up through the holder and end up dripping a bit. Not really a problem, but its not ideal. Secondly the standard dining room candle(straight walled not taper) is 7/8" wide and is right on the edge of too wide especially with manufacturer tolerances. Thirdly candles are not really sold by width so even when its listed its not often correct. Thats why you see them a lot of the time with a molded, splined taper at the bottom so they can fit in just about any candle holder.

Above is a picture of the ones I found at Walmart for $.75 each. That's not a incredible deal but it turns out they can be made to work even better then the supplied candle. Get any color you want and peal back the colored wax similar to shelling a hard boiled egg. You are left with a candle that is 21.8 mm wide. They will now fit perfectly. With the colored wax they are 22.8 and too wide to fit.

The bushlites have a lot more flexibility, but finding the best performing candles seems to be tricky

Max width = 22.5mm
True 7/8" = 22.22mm
Supplied candle = 20.5mm
Peeled Walmart = 21.8 mm
True 3/4" = 19.02mm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne