reliability question

temple

Adventurer
How is the reliability of the G wagen compared to the land cruiser? Are there motors or chasis years that are better than others for reliability?

Thanks for the help.

RBA

Adventurer
If we're just talking about 463 imported by MBUSA (G500), then the drivetrain is bulletproof. '02 had some electrical gremlins, some folks experiencing them in '03's. Other then that, window regulators are the biggest pain the ***. I personally think the 2005 is the best year. Last year of the 5 speed tranny and fewer minor issues with electrical gremlins. Make sure you buy one with a documented service history.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i wouldnt say its in the same ballpark, but if a G is what you want, i wouldnt think its something that i would let deter me.

there really arnt any bad years for landcruisers, its just a matter of design taste. the 100 had a 2 pinion rear diff for a spell, that im not really sure caused any real issues, and there was a 1 year span (2000) where lx470's had a TSB for bad transmission shims, that typically failed before 60,000 miles if they were going to fail. i dont think there will be to many of those left on the road.

a pre 2002 G means youre dealing with a non MBUSA rig. its not as simple to get things or repairs.
2002-2003 really do have a long list of issues. if they are all done, then you should be ok, except for window regulators. apparently it will cost you 700 a year for life. with the frequency of failure, it fascinates me that MB never updated the replacement part.

04 on up should be fine. ive only heard of the ECU being fussy and going into limp mode with larger diameter tires. i guess it thinks youre about to spin out, around a bend.

an out of warranty MB isnt for the feint of heart. if the real concern here is the potential cost for driving an expensive out of date used car, vs merely breaking down on a mountain top, youre going to want to stay on the pacific side of the axis. landcruiser ownership is much more boring when it comes to misbehaving. its my good child.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
2002-2003 really do have a long list of issues. if they are all done, then you should be ok, except for window regulators. apparently it will cost you 700 a year for life. with the frequency of failure, it fascinates me that MB never updated the replacement part.

04 on up should be fine. ive only heard of the ECU being fussy and going into limp mode with larger diameter tires. i guess it thinks youre about to spin out, around a bend.

an out of warranty MB isnt for the feint of heart. if the real concern here is the potential cost for driving an expensive out of date used car, vs merely breaking down on a mountain top, youre going to want to stay on the pacific side of the axis. landcruiser ownership is much more boring when it comes to misbehaving. its my good child.

Long list Zimm?
MB did update the window regulator installation, per Harald the regulator was updated too ("The old single guide is flawed by design (the wire pulls the glass off center). Only the new upgraded double guide window regulator will do.")

I haven't heard about the ECU putting the rig into limp due to larger dia tires; trying to throw the truck off the road, especially if the TransferCase module/cluster hasn't been notified of the change in tire size/axle ratio, yes--my truck still does that on harder/tighter corners, especially downhill....I've learned to trail brake with my left foot while applying a smidge of throttle--the truck seems to be ok with this.

Aren't Toyota's/Lexus' just boring all around?? :coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles