Tundra or Tacoma - future camper hauler???

Really, this will come down to your priorities (and a few test drives at the dealer). I love my 13 Taco - fits my family of 5 (including my 6 foot self). Goes everywhere and does anything. I just got a 17' hybrid trailer. My truck can haul it, but I feel it. My mileage goes from 13l/100k to about 20l/100k. I lag on hills unless I use premium gas (worth it for the extra power when towing). The Tundra will tow a hybrid without even knowing it's back there. Great hauler. Great daily driver? Probably not, but maybe that's your style. Of course you could get the TRD supercharger for the Taco ($4500) and then the Taco will pull without even noticing what's back there!

Just a note about prices, if buying new, I found a big difference between the base Taco and the Tundra. My base 13 DCSB was a full $7000 cheaper than the closest Tundra I could configure that would seat 5.

Jammer

Observer
I am now a year into owning my certified pre-owned '11 Tacoma DCLB and I don't regret it one bit for my needs!

Moved us 1200 miles last year fully loaded every nook and cranny in the cab and the bed and towing a fully loaded Uhaul 6x12 cargo trailer.

945002_10151809344279985_478448726_n.jpg

We finally got to do some camping this summer and again, we were fully loaded down. At camp we slept in the bed and had one of those "suv tents" attached to the back. But a small tow behind camper or a slide in Four Wheel Camper is most definitely in our future!

The DCLB gave us plenty of room in the cab (me, gf, and dog...and I am 6ft 240lbs) and adequate sleeping room for the three of us in the bed too!

MPG's could have been better (13-16 average on the trip), but I attribute it to going up one size in tires as well as being fully loaded with bikes and cargo box on the top of the cap.

Smoky Mt. view '14.jpg

I should add...I added Air Lift air bags to the rear leafs before the move due to the added weight and the great experience I had on them on my previous Chevy Colorado. With those aired up, a fully loaded truck rides great!

daveyboy

Adventurer
When I got rid of my old Ford back in 2008, I went through the same comparison. In the end, I went with a Tundra DC for a few reasons:

--a DC LB Tacoma's exterior is not much smaller (~7" length and 5" width) than a Tundra but has a shorter bed and the same turn radius
--I knew I would be towing occasionally, and the Tundra flat out tows the Tacoma
--The Tundra and the LandCruiser 200 are based off the same platform so the Tundra has some pretty heavy duty components
--It has been my experience that when a small gas engine is worked hard, it doesn't get any better MPG than a bigger engine doing the same
--Back in 2008, gas was $$$ and they were giving the Tundras away

I have zero regrets going with the Tundra. I have thousands of miles with a truck camper on the back and have taken my family to every state west of the Rockies. It has been a great pickup.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Tacoma mpg will be a little better for a DD. It's also gonna be a 10 year old design.
The tundra will tow easier and get better mpg than a taco towing anything.

I personally like the tundra over the taco. Better to grow into something you plan on using.
Tundra DC if you want more bed space. The crewmax bed is way to small for any real use with its power.
Taco is to small for long trips imo and I'm only 120 lbs. the extra cabin space makes for a much more comfortable drive on long trips

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sourdough

Adventurer
I put 147,000 miles on my '02 4cyl. reg.cab prerunner Tacoma with a aluminum shell. Never got over 20 mpg and often 15 struggling with a load. It was always too small and two under powered. Bought a used Tundra 4x4 limited v8 xcab a few years ago. Already put 50,000 plus on it. 19/ 20mpg is the norm with a fiberglass shell and 15/16 is common with my Hawk camper. Running hard(75) 13 is normal. I've been over several Montana passes @ 13,000 ft plus and through most of Death Valley and the Mohavie Rd. with the camper. Never needed more power, always had plenty of room and been able to go to the end of the road. I don't even pretend it is able to do rock crawling/Jeep trails. Been there done that with couple of well built Jeeps and a Land Cruiser during the last forty years. Get a full size, 3/4T is best. You will be able haul a nice camper(most all are under weight rated)1500 lbs or more loaded and tow an off road vehicle or cargo trailer too.

southpier

Expedition Leader
I'm 5'6 / 180 on a good day, and I've hit my head getting to the Tacoma. access cab seating? I took mine out and keep a toolbox, jump pack, and a few other things back there (sold the leer cap).

if you want a quick divorce, go for a long weekend and make your wife ride there .....

carbon60

Explorer
I lag on hills unless I use premium gas (worth it for the extra power when towing)

Does that actually work? I was under the impression that running higher octane fuel in an engine that does not specify it made zero difference. Higher octane fuel allows higher compression, but that only matters if your timing can achieve it.

A.

carbon60

Explorer
Higher octane does not equal "better", just higher octane. Although there seems to be some, uh, creative liberty taken by the marketing departments of the fuel retailers. :)

Does that actually work? I was under the impression that running higher octane fuel in an engine that does not specify it made zero difference. Higher octane fuel allows higher compression, but that only matters if your timing can achieve it.

A.

It does help with lag on the hills. No better mileage and I only consider it for pulling with the Taco.

bkg

Explorer
Tacoma mpg will be a little better for a DD. It's also gonna be a 10 year old design.
The tundra will tow easier and get better mpg than a taco towing anything.

I personally like the tundra over the taco. Better to grow into something you plan on using.
Tundra DC if you want more bed space. The crewmax bed is way to small for any real use with its power.
Taco is to small for long trips imo and I'm only 120 lbs. the extra cabin space makes for a much more comfortable drive on long trips

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well stated

southpier

Expedition Leader
for years, in all my vehicles, I've used either top grade mobil or shell. running low one day, I filled the Tacoma on top grade Valero gas. truck runs more better than before. it's my gas now. [no change in service intervals (syn oil @ 3k) & owner manual recommendations.]

Loubaru

Adventurer
Higher octane does not equal "better", just higher octane. Although there seems to be some, uh, creative liberty taken by the marketing departments of the fuel retailers. :)

I'm not sure where you go this from but it isn't correct. Fuel companies definitely spend a lot on marketing but octane levels are regulated.

Most "performance" modern engines will advance the ignition timing with higher octane fuel which means more power. It will take a few tanks for the ECU to learn the new timing curve but you will get more power. Higher octane means more resistance to pre-ignition (knock) so you can push the engine more (more boost pressure/CFM, timing, compression, whatever gets you there) without burning it up. That being said your 1991 Honda Civic won't see anything with premium gas but any modern engine with a decent ECU and some type of progressive valve timing will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94