New to site Land Rover S1 owner

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
After all these years, if you would have to do it all over again would you do things differently? Things you're not happy with? Had any big issues with it?

After all these years, if you would have to do it all over again would you do things differently? Things you're not happy with? Had any big issues with it?

Good question.

Well the first thing I would do is start with a 107 or 109 pickup (2 door). I would also start with a gusseted rear axle instead of bending one and finding out the hard way. The rear springs mount so much closer together than the Toyota so the leverage on the axle housing was too great.

Overall the truck does as it's told, it's never let me down, it can do 80 MPH without fuss and bomb the Rubicon without a problem. The heater sucks, not having a soft top is an issue I need to address, and the headlights are horrible, but those are all choices I made in the interest of keeping it simple.

Oh, one more thing I would change: I would try to water proof the ECU. It has gotten wet and that's a problem.

80mph???

Crikey that's just showun off. :)

I've got a full length (old) and like new canvas "truck cab" too. Can't. Imagine being in the sun all the time.

I've fitted bella H4 headlamps...they're a big improvement.

80mph???

Crikey that's just showun off. :)

I've got a full length (old) and like new canvas "truck cab" too. Can't. Imagine being in the sun all the time.

I've fitted bella H4 headlamps...they're a big improvement.

I guess it is showing off a bit. I like to see the look on people's faces as I blow by them on the freeway!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
!!!!!I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!! I too remember reading about it in several magazines over the years (mentioned in Petersens and I thought had a full write-up elsewhere???) and have always thought it was beyond cool. I also love all the neat little things you did to make it all work and I can imagine that from the drivers seat it's one awesome little truck to kick around in. The tall skinny LTB's just look perfect on her too aye... I just love everything about this truck.

Very neat to see you here on the Portal. Welcome and AMAZING truck you've built yourself there mate.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

I like to say that I built the truck as the factory should have. The tall and skinny tires on the factory solid axle Toyota mini truck steel wheels were absolutely the only way to go for me. This is one of those trucks that will be around forever. I don't drive it a lot, but I do keep it registered and insured so I can drive it to town now and then, plus the occasional trip wheeling (usually the Rubicon). I feel if you're going to own a vehicle, you need to use it, or else why own it?

I'm building myself another crawler right now so I fear this one might start feeling a bit neglected. At least it gets to live inside.

ps- I almost always drive to town with the windshield down...

cipioxx

Observer
Nice Rover. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I see this truck in about 2002 in 4 Wheeler magazine? Maybe it was a different magazine, but I swear I have seen this truck in a trade publication before. I am not sure about the year and I lost the magazine...

Ok. I wasnt the only one who remembers the article I see. Nice that I wasn't the only one.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Awesome nostalgia in that link... I remember seeing that article back then and thinking "THIS, is exactly what I'd do with a Series LR, what a great idea!!!" and I've been a fan of this truck ever since. Great to have you and your very "special" truck here with us on the Portal, this community is possibly the best around IMO and it's great to have folks like yourself with their very unique vehicles on here.

I gotta ask: What's next??? Not just for the "Series Toy" (which sounds like it doesn't see as much drive time anymore), but for your builds/travels in general??? Anything else cool and unique like this little beauty in the pipe??? I just keep looking at the pics and the article and seeing more and more little cool/clever details that make me smile. I love that in builds of all kinds, but this truck just appeals to me in so many ways, from the Toyota Drivetrain (there's another guy from Sweden or Norway I believe with a 110 and a Toyota drivetrain, think his names "ToyRoverlander"???) to the "beautiful" boxy Series body on top of it all, she's just awesome and I'd be very interested to see your other trucks as well aye.

As always, thanks for sharing...

Cheers

Dave

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
(there's another guy from Sweden or Norway I believe with a 110 and a Toyota drivetrain, think his names "ToyRoverlander"???)

You guessed a little bit too far north, it's the netherlands :). And that series is mine, this one:

20140614_142636_zpsyuvnmhjc.jpg

Awesome nostalgia in that link... I remember seeing that article back then and thinking "THIS, is exactly what I'd do with a Series LR, what a great idea!!!"

I gotta ask: What's next??? Not just for the "Series Toy" (which sounds like it doesn't see as much drive time anymore), but for your builds/travels in general??? Anything else cool and unique like this little beauty in the pipe???

Thanks Dave. I didn't want to go overboard with that Rover. It only needed modernization, and a few knick-knacks here and there to fulfill my vision for it.

What else do I have going? I have 4 other trucks I'm building for myself right now. 3 will be for sale eventually but one I will keep. The truck I'm building that will replace (not totally) the Rover is a '83 Toyota pickup. It's getting a 3RZ 2.7L 4cyl out of a '98 Tacoma as well as a lot of attention to detail. Most of my effort is being focused on fab work and "what have I always wanted" things like a totally removable transmission tunnel with cup holders, big brakes, perfect steering geometry, etc. I will post pics later.

I also have a '72 Chevy dump truck that is my keeper, a '58 Chevy 4x4 Fleetside and a Scout 80 that is getting a 2wd conversion. I do this for a living so I always try to flex my brain muscle whenever possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior