New to site Land Rover S1 owner

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Thanks!

It's got a 3B diesel with a turbo of a subaru forester wrx, a saab intercooler and has the fuel turned up to the max. The IP has a merc spring in the vaccuum governor and max rpm has been turned up to raise the point at which it starts to reduce fuel delivery. It can do about 19psi boost but doesn't usually get much over 15psi. It runs an H41 4speed tranny coupled to a 4:1 Orion Tcase. Axles are from an HDJ80 with the E-lockers and 4.1 gearing. Hellfire fabworks highsteer on it as well. It has a PAS box from a P38 rangie, the pump is from a BJ70 Landcruiser. It's got custom laser cut dashpanels with VDO gauges for all the important things. I removed the original fuel tank in favor of a custom aluminium 120liter tank that's mounted above the rear axle, in front of that crossmember that normally goes through the tank. It has a raised floor in the back to accomodate it. In front of the fuel tank are the 4 batteries for the split 24V system.
Som stuff is still 12V so it has an invertor, for 220V as well. Onboard air is also fitted.
Suspension wise it sits sprung over, has got 3leaf rear parabolic springs up front and 63" chevy rear springs. Bilstein 5125 14" shocks front and rear. Tires are Micky MTZ 315/75-16 on 7J 0mm offset rims. On the inside it has a simple rollbar and 4point driver restraints fitted for safety.
That's about it really. Nice little truck, goes really well with tons of low down torque.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Well, it did take a while to get to this point. It has had range rover axles on it, I've redone the front suspension after a major stuff-up too, that was all years ago though. I'm still not happy with a few things but it's fine the way it is. Time for another vehicle to build :)

There's a little build thread here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-rover/1032984-my-toy-rover.html I've got a way more detailed one on another forum but it's in Dutch ;). More pics can be found in my photobucket account http://s609.photobucket.com/user/To...g suspension driveline etc mods?sort=3&page=1

Thanks!

It's got a 3B diesel with a turbo of a subaru forester wrx, a saab intercooler and has the fuel turned up to the max. The IP has a merc spring in the vaccuum governor and max rpm has been turned up to raise the point at which it starts to reduce fuel delivery. It can do about 19psi boost but doesn't usually get much over 15psi. It runs an H41 4speed tranny coupled to a 4:1 Orion Tcase. Axles are from an HDJ80 with the E-lockers and 4.1 gearing. Hellfire fabworks highsteer on it as well. It has a PAS box from a P38 rangie, the pump is from a BJ70 Landcruiser. It's got custom laser cut dashpanels with VDO gauges for all the important things. I removed the original fuel tank in favor of a custom aluminium 120liter tank that's mounted above the rear axle, in front of that crossmember that normally goes through the tank. It has a raised floor in the back to accomodate it. In front of the fuel tank are the 4 batteries for the split 24V system.
Som stuff is still 12V so it has an invertor, for 220V as well. Onboard air is also fitted.
Suspension wise it sits sprung over, has got 3leaf rear parabolic springs up front and 63" chevy rear springs. Bilstein 5125 14" shocks front and rear. Tires are Micky MTZ 315/75-16 on 7J 0mm offset rims. On the inside it has a simple rollbar and 4point driver restraints fitted for safety.
That's about it really. Nice little truck, goes really well with tons of low down torque.

I just spent a few minutes looking through your build thread. Nice and simple. We must be related. I've got relatives in your neck of the woods...

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
That's sort of what I tried to achieve, trying to keep the series look but with better mechanical bits. Haha who knows, do you know where they live?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
What else do I have going? I have 4 other trucks I'm building for myself right now. 3 will be for sale eventually but one I will keep. The truck I'm building that will replace (not totally) the Rover is a '83 Toyota pickup. It's getting a 3RZ 2.7L 4cyl out of a '98 Tacoma as well as a lot of attention to detail. Most of my effort is being focused on fab work and "what have I always wanted" things like a totally removable transmission tunnel with cup holders, big brakes, perfect steering geometry, etc. I will post pics later.

I also have a '72 Chevy dump truck that is my keeper, a '58 Chevy 4x4 Fleetside and a Scout 80 that is getting a 2wd conversion. I do this for a living so I always try to flex my brain muscle whenever possible.

That sounds like a killer 83 you're building, Marlin (of Marlin Crawler) and his son are both huge proponents of the 3RZ in those older early Hiluxes and have both built some amazing trucks using that combo. I know exactly what you mean by that build philosophy too. I'm building a Diesel 2nd Gen sas'd 4Runner and I'm doing it as a "lifer" kind of build incorporating all the lessons learned over the years (lived in Australia for a few years, got bit by "the bug", HARD), what works for me and what doesn't, what I want and what I don't. It's slow going but so far it's, Low lift/33x10.50's, OME leaf suspension, E-lockers, aux-fuel tank, custom low weight/profile, high protection armor simple and stout but able to be a "truck of many faces" from Towing to being able to live out of it for weeks/months on end (read: make the wife happy to be in it too) to going and playing on the Rubicon or the Natches on any given weekend. I can very much relate to that idea... btw, the removable tranny tunnel sounds like such a good/cool idea, I can't wait to see what you come up with aye.

I find that often I flex my brain muscle too hard (or maybe just incorrectly), I get way too many ideas and it crashes like a computer... I'm thinking I might be slightly OCD cause the pile of "scrapped" bumper and other designs in the corner is starting to scare me :smilies27:

You guessed a little bit too far north, it's the netherlands :). And that series is mine, this one:

20140614_142636_zpsyuvnmhjc.jpg

Well at least I was on the right side of the Atlantic... that's good by my standards most days HAHAHAHA. Glad to see you make it to this thread cause I love both your trucks for similar reasons.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
Here's a couple shots of the trans tunnel in my '83 Toyota. I raised the cases a bit to gain ground clearance so I needed to cut the floor anyway.

I am proud of the other trucks I've built for customers. Here's a truck I built for a guy in Oregon. It's a '87 4Runner that we customized completely. It has a 4.0L 1GR-FE V6 in it and can pull the mountain freeways at 80 MPH in 6th gear with 37" tires. We went as far as making OEM style graphics for the exterior, but with a digital camo pattern. It was featured in Petersen's 4 Wheel and Offroad mag last winter. http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1402-1987-toyota-4runner-superrunner/

And here's a 2007 Tacoma I built from the ground up with D60's and a 3 link with coils u front.

This is another 4Runner I just completed in May. Nice and clean and simple.

This truck I owned for about a decade before I updated the suspension. I sold it shortly after that.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Wow... just WOW, that is some REALLY neat work.

I remember reading that article on the 1st Gen/1GR-FE swap in Petersens, but I didn't realize at the time that it was your work. Truly stellar stuff you;re turning out mate, I love the Trans Tunnel and raised Cases too, to say I'm impressed with your level of build's is an understatement. Really neat stuff, can;t wait to see the 83 come together. you gotta start a build thread for all us "old truck" lovers to drool over if you get the time. As always, thanks for sharing. hopefully one of these days, my own build thread will have a happy ending on a similar level to yours aye.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave. I sometimes wonder what I could come up with if I did crystal meth, but alas...

I will start a build thread after I am closer to completion. I hate dragging them out. And this will be my first build thread on this site. Most of them have been on TTORA.

It's funny you use the term "old truck" for a '83 Toyota. I have thought of building a "retro crawler" for some time, but I don't think the time is right.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior