New to site Land Rover S1 owner

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
This is a really cool little Rover. I remember reading the magazine article about it several years ago. Could you talk more about the Toyota drivetrain?

Yeah, it was featured in 4 Wheel Drive and Sport Utility in November of 2006. When they called and asked if they could do a feature on it I asked them if they had the right phone number!

I bought a rolled '91 Toyota truck for the motor and trans and all the electrical bits to make it run. Then I did a spring over with '85 Toyota axles and electric lockers out of a TRD Tacoma. It runs 5.29 gears in the diffs and a 4:1 in the t-case. The original '91 trans was so long that I had to make my own rear driveshaft out of a Toyota CV shaft. It was 14" long and it bound up on axle droop so much that it kept tearing up the CV. I had to install a limiting strap to keep the rear axle from drooping out so much. After playing around with that for a few years, I finally swapped in a L52 trans out of a '83 Toyota 4x4 which is about 5" shorter, thus allowing me to add 5" to the rear shaft. The front shaft was already super long so shortening it did not affect anything.

The motor fit like a glove in the engine bay, but I had to build custom motor mounts of course. A Toyota radiator was used but had to be notched at the top to clear the hood prop. It uses an electric fan because there was no room for the stock clutch fan. For added cooling insurance I installed a Supra dual stage thermostat. I also run a cooler on the PS system.

Building the steering system was basic, using the '91 IFS steering box we built a custom steering shaft and mounted the box as far forward on the frame as possible. A notch had to be taken out of the frame to clear the pitman arm and you can see the box poking through the fender. It also runs a high steer system on the stock width Toyota axle. The spring over was simple, but we did add generic Ford shock towers up front to be able to run a 12" shock. Custom rear shock mountings were added also to accommodate the 10" rear shocks.

Other details had to be sorted out too, like the air intake. I made one out of a 2.5" pee trap (ABS plastic), it's ugly, but it works fine and it gives me something to laugh about when I open the hood. We used Datsun master cylinders mounted in the stock location, but to get them to fit we had to use remote reservoirs under the driver's seat.The center seat had to be ditched to make room for the t-case shifter, but I made a nice console out of aluminum (with cup holders) to cover it back up. I did not want the battery in the engine bay anymore (nor would it fit with all the EFI stuff) so I relocated it to under the driver's seat. The stock fuel tank finally let go about two years ago so I bought a generic aluminum fuel cell and modified it to fit the EFI pump. It is held up with straps and bolt tabs for strength. How did I find out the fuel tank was on it's way out? I was welding on the truck one day in the shop, up on the lift, and the fuel tank caught fire at a pinhole leak. Talk about s&^%$* your pants!!!

The last tongue in cheek touch I added was a large "tuner style" exhaust tip that exits out the stock PTO hole in the rear crossmember/bumper.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me though my website www.stoffregenmotorsports.com

Good eye.

Actually the springs are stock 1957 springs, but the rears have been modified by playing with the leaf pack combination. I took a couple leafs out but then put one back in UPSIDE DOWN to help with spring rate, but not add ride height. It works well. I actually use all the 12 inches of shock at the front. The front springs are bone stock.

roverandom

Adventurer
Love Series I's (got eight stock units) but I've always liked this unit since I saw the magazine article.
I love you kept it leaf sprung instead of following the fashion of massive coil overs.

Also love all the quirky details added over time.

Great truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock fuel tank finally let go about two years ago so I bought a generic aluminum fuel cell and modified it to fit the EFI pump.

Do you recall the source / model of the fuel cell?

The o.e. tank in my '53 is okay right now...but as you know, sure hangs down further than I'd like it to.

Looks great...love the plastic intake :)

roverandom

Adventurer
Quick question. On some panels I see some hints of yellow under the blue/red paint. Were any of the panels on the 57 originally painted Yellow?

I have three 57's that came from a batch of what must have been a fleet order (I think for the Shell oil co) that all wore the same yellow paint. Trying to find the origin of these units?? Do you still have the original Vin#? Two of my three 57's are two serial numbers apart!

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
I remember that Series1 from the mag as well, always loved that one! Absolutely awesome vehicle, love it! Funny, same steering wheel as mine :).

Welcome to expo :)!

Love Series I's (got eight stock units) but I've always liked this unit since I saw the magazine article.
I love you kept it leaf sprung instead of following the fashion of massive coil overs.

Also love all the quirky details added over time.

Great truck!

Quirky details like the beer opener riveted to the back. An essential while camping.

Thank you.

Do you recall the source / model of the fuel cell?

The o.e. tank in my '53 is okay right now...but as you know, sure hangs down further than I'd like it to.

Looks great...love the plastic intake :)

I can't find the invoice, but it is an RCI cell from Summit Racing. I ordered by dimensions. I couldn't find one exactly the same size, so it is a bit smaller, maybe a gallon smaller. The sending unit it came with even worked with the stock fuel gauge.

Quick question. On some panels I see some hints of yellow under the blue/red paint. Were any of the panels on the 57 originally painted Yellow?

I have three 57's that came from a batch of what must have been a fleet order (I think for the Shell oil co) that all wore the same yellow paint. Trying to find the origin of these units?? Do you still have the original Vin#? Two of my three 57's are two serial numbers apart!

I will have to dig up the VIN, but I don't think there's any yellow in it. The only paint colors I ever see are red and blue. I don't really have any intention of painting it, that is to say, to do it right would be a major undertaking and I would just go out and scratch it all up again, so why bother.

I can't find the invoice, but it is an RCI cell from Summit Racing. I ordered by dimensions. I couldn't find one exactly the same size, so it is a bit smaller, maybe a gallon smaller. The sending unit it came with even worked with the stock fuel gauge.

Thanks Matt,

That looks great! I'll have to get out the tape measure and phone Summit ... just bought some bits from them this week already ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles