Where to stick a TM-V71A

carbon60

Explorer
Looking for ideas (with photos, please!) of where to put the transceiver body of my Kenwood TM-V71A in my 80 series. Trying to find a better spot than under the passenger seat as that may get wetter that I'd like. :snorkel:

Also, need to mound a small square speaker for it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

A.

Longrange308

Adventurer
If you are mounting an external speaker, how about mounting it in the glove box? Out of sight, out of the way, protected and you can control the thing entirely for the most part with the mic..

There isn't a lot of room in an 80 series for mounting ancillary equipment it seems. I mounted my 281 just below the center stack in my Xterra..

carbon60

Explorer
If you are mounting an external speaker, how about mounting it in the glove box? Out of sight, out of the way, protected and you can control the thing entirely for the most part with the mic..

I should add that I already have the control head mounted up in a convenient location, so it's just the body that I need to find a home for. So yes, you're suggestion is valid.

Thanks,

A.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Under the seat does not have to be on the floor. I attached the body to the seat springs in my Tacoma. Works great! I do hear you though, if you're going to submarine your truck, well, good luck to you! :ylsmoke:

20130629_025752.jpg

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I mounted the rig inside the drivers rear on the side panel. Using the supplied bracket for my 8900, and other radios previously, I used a self tapping screw to hold the bracket to the plastic panel. I ran my power cable under the door jams and seats but with a water issue consider dropping the ceiling panel and running it along the top of the doors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carbon60

Explorer
I mounted the rig inside the drivers rear on the side panel. Using the supplied bracket for my 8900, and other radios previously, I used a self tapping screw to hold the bracket to the plastic panel.

I'm not clear on where/what panel you're referring to. Inside?

Frdmskr

Adventurer
In my Ford Escape I have a plastic panel on the inside rear . It's the inside equivalent to where the quarter panel is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carbon60

Explorer
In my Ford Escape I have a plastic panel on the inside rear . It's the inside equivalent to where the quarter panel is.

Yeah, in the 80 there is a compartment there with the jack and such. Room to install the radio there, I'll think about that.

Thanks!

A.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
If you put it in an enclosure make sure you account for air circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gahi

Adventurer
I saw a thread where someone put it in the spot where the factory amp was to the right of the glove box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste